Essential gets five stars in Rolling Stone Review

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
jarkko
Site Admin

Essential gets five stars in Rolling Stone Review

Post by jarkko »

Thanks to Dick for the link!

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/ ... 185&cf=922

The dark, poetic music of Leonard Cohen should be listed on the table of periodic elements -- when you discover it, it suddenly seems as necessary as oxygen. This collection spans his thirty-five-year career, and it doesn't leave out much. Originally a Canadian poet and country-music fan, Cohen moved to New York in the late Sixties and became a folk singer. Now a Buddhist, Cohen has always been concerned with the sanctity of real life and the dangers of real love. The startling "Hallelujah," from 1984, is a majestic example of the former, and there are too many examples of the latter to count, from the darkly sly "I'm Your Man" (1988) to the lost and forsaken "Famous Blue Raincoat" (1970). One could complain about the absence of various wonders, such as his early, way-bleak "The Butcher," or object to the inclusion of four songs from Cohen's most recent album, but that would be quibbling. These are literate songs that require time, careful attention and the sort of contemplation we normally reserve for life lessons.
PAT BLASHILL
(RS 909 – November 14, 2002)
Andrew McGeever

Rolling Stone

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Jarkko,
I posted a review of "The Essential.." in the Rolling Stone webpage.
I'm not sure if it's permanent....I'm not good with computers. Try it and tell me if you found it.
Yours, Andrew.
George.Wright

The Essential Album

Post by George.Wright »

Nice to hear the album, boy does it focus one on Cohen's genius again. Pity about some exclusions from the album, but it just oozes quality. A must for any initiate into Cohen for the first time and a good reminder to his fans of very long standing!!!!
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hi Andrew - your assessment is on the Rolling Stone page - in fact it's the first and so far the only one!!!
Jarkko
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Jarkko,
Thanks for letting me know!
I posted my review BEFORE I read the "official" review in Rolling Stone. There are several points of contact between the two pieces, not the least being the five stars!
To all activists out there, have a read of both.
Yours, Andrew.

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”