Cohen and Dear Heather in Estonian newspaper

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
greta

Cohen and Dear Heather in Estonian newspaper

Post by greta »

I came across an article in Postimees from 4th of Nov.
it was written in Estonian but i tried to translate it. I know the translation is poor, but i hope it gives the idea.
if ny of you can read estonian, here is the link:
http://www.postimees.ee/041104/esileht/ ... 149132.php

here is the translation

It sounds almost unbelievable, but Leonard Cohen has been 70 already for about a month. The proof of his spiritual power and energy suitable to his age, is the new album “Dear Heather”.

There are critics, who say that this is the best record of his 10 or so studio recordings, which he has made during an impressively long career. These kinds of subjects are always subjective, especially when it concerns creation. And one should come closer to Cohen, focusing on his creation, although his half-sung half-spoken songs seem too simple, to give them weight. And in addition, some of his music seems to have almost a “synthesizer” sound.

The exterior difference is paper thin, but the interior, on the other hand, extremely big. Known and acknowledged Cohen is an anomaly in the pop and rock world. Firstly he is a poet and only secondly a singer and a musician. He wouldn’t be made a big deal, unless those simple songs and text figures affected people so strongly.

Still lasting influence

Peeter Volkonski, who years ago chose Cohen’s songs as music for Jean Anohuil’s play “Orchestra” in Vanemuine, admits having deep personal relationship with these songs.
“For me he is mainly a poet. His poems are created with a melody. It can be felt, when you listen. As if these words couldn’t exist without music.”
Volkonski, who in addition to being an actor, has gathered knowledge also as a unique singer, admits that he has, not directly but definitely indirectly, been influenced creatively by Cohen’s poetry-songs.
“For me he is so ingenious that it would be a sin to say that I have not been influenced by him at all. I know the feeling. In my texts there is also melodies.” says Volkonski.

Tõnis Mägi also makes it no secret that he has been very interested in Cohen songs in a certain period, and like for many others, it has left marks in his music. /…/
In Leonard Cohen I was interested mostly because he was slightly exotic: the colour of Jewish music, which differed very much from Bob Dylan’s music’s blues and country-like style.”

The album of light and brightness

Leonard Cohen’s “Dear heather” brings us the wisdom and maturity of an old man. He reminiscens gently about women and the afterglow of love, the human effect of the 11th of September, about his teacher, about a beautiful nightingale. He comforts and eases. Cohen’s songs are earthly prayers, and listening to them gives confidence.
Once again there are many loose ends, which make one think and feel more- something unexplainable, but at the same time slightly perceivable. It is a chonesque trait. It has been like this before and it must be like this now too.

Most of the music is recorded in a small home studio, in comfortable conditions. Musically, this album is more mature than many of the previous, this so partly thanks to Sharon Robinson who used to sing in Cohen’s backup band. Two other women have a big role- the producer Leanne Unger and the second backup singer Anjani Thomas, who also contributed very much into his music.
Maybe it is not surprising, but in the songs of “Dear Heather” there is more light and brightness than on the previous albums. There is acceptance and letting go of the torturing “me”. It has been made by a ma, who often visits one Buddhist monastery. He has probably found a balance between himself and the world, there, while meditating. This kind of balance is desired by many.
Boogahbo

Post by Boogahbo »

Woo, thank you for that. Don't know how but I actually managed to miss that article :shock: Should probably read things more carefully..
"Who's the criminal? Who's Jack the Ripper in the Room?"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I know the translation is poor, but i hope it gives the idea.
Please do me the service of pointing out even one area where this translation is poor, Greta. Your translation appears to be of such excellence that I would think this review was originally written in English 8) . Thanks for bringing it here, and for doing such a fine job with it.

Now, when are you going to write and share some more of your poetry :D ?

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

This review is great! Really deserved to be moved around here to be easily found and read. :D
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, thanks for expressing my sentiments about the review itself, Tchocolatl. I got distracted talking to Greta about her translation of it.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Oh! but I found your comment "Thanks for bringing it here, and for doing such a fine job with it" absolutely perfect, Elizabeth, and I join my voice to you, here. :D For my previous message, I really wanted to stress my liking of this sensitive review in general.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I enjoyed the review immensely, therefore, the translation more than
effectively relayed the sentiments of the reviewer.

At one point the reviewer points out that "Cohen's songs are earthly prayers and listening to them gives confidence". I wish I could remember who said it but someone said of his Cohen collection "It is the closest thing I have to prayer". It seems that he wasn't/isn't the only one.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”