Stylus Magazine Review

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
3Cees

Stylus Magazine Review

Post by 3Cees »

This is my review of the record, on Stylus just now. Sorry guys, but just like Ten New Songs, it just didn't do it for me.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=2489
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi 3Cees ~

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but at least you had the guts to come deliver it yourself :) .

~ Lizzy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi 3Cees ~

Well, I'm trying to get to your review, but all I'm getting is that the page cannot be displayed :? .

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

The review is not so bad as you announced. 8)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear 3Cees ~

Is your review so long that it would be unreasonable to ask you to bring it here? Others have, and I just can't get to it [for whatever reason :? ].

~ Lizzy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Leonard Cohen
Dear Heather
Columbia
{4}

Are we moving towards some transcendental moment?
“Morning Glory”, from Dear Heather

Well, are we?

Not so long ago, Leonard Cohen turned seventy years of age. Having spent so much of that time scribbling the most oblique, scholarly words on his blackening pages, you may be forgiven for thinking it’s time for something truly revelatory. Since he began writing (first in books of poetry, then novels—songwriting was originally only a ploy to raise dwindling funds), Cohen offered snapshots of personal experience tainted by religious or erotic terminology, seamlessly woven with elements of mythology from some of his most beloved scrolls. Explaining his first (and perhaps his most famous) song, “Suzanne”, he said “everything happened exactly as it was written down”. I’ve always hoped he’d elaborate; after all, he has so many gaps to fill, and so many interested people to tell. But, as his former rival and one-time collaborator Bob Dylan pours out his curious memoirs in a recently published autobiography, Chronicles, Cohen only baffles further.

When Woody Guthrie was dying from Huntington’s chorea, Bob Dylan made regular pilgrimages to his hero’s dwelling, eager to soak up everything he could of the man behind the music before it was too late. Even though he’s in reasonable health, increasingly often I find myself worrying that no one will do similar with Leonard Cohen. With the apparent complacency that has dogged his recent recordings (The lazily titled Ten New Songs suggesting disinterest and an album only to keep Columbia at bay, his incessant need to collaborate/cover/quote lengths of other wordsmiths), I can’t help but wonder if I’m more concerned than he is.

Perhaps it’s the recent death of Johnny Cash, perhaps that of Ray Charles—perhaps it’s the overbearingly mournful timbre that crawls all over Dear Heather which panics me so. It’s present in “Nightingale”, a tribute to the late R&B vocalist Carl Anderson, 9/11 ode “On That Day” and the sleevenote dedication to Jack McClelland, a Canadian publisher who discovered Leonard way back when. In this climate, the speculation that Cohen will go into full retirement in the near future is inevitable, making this a potential parting shot of the songwriter.

Lord Byron’s “Go No More A-Roving” seems indicative of a man ready to wind down, but only in the tenderest way. It seems contradictory that something as destructive as nicotine could be responsible for a voice so soothing, so knowing. That same voice croons the closing cover of country classic “Tennessee Waltz”, for once revisiting his (musical, not geographical) roots, and not before time. “Because Of” examines the way in which Leonard still seems to gain the attention of women, who have been “exceptionally kind” to his old age. But even his lovers fear the worst, insisting, “Look at me Leonard / Look at me one last time”.

“Morning Glory” perfects the decaying stream-of-consciousness lyricism Michael Stipe made famous on “Country Feedback” whilst Frank Scott’s “Villanelle For Our Time” emerges as an empowering mantra over quiet, lounge jazz. So many of Dear Heather’s songs are effectively poetry readings set to music, and these experiments work best in the instances Sharon Robinson and Anjani Thomas are allowed to exercise their temperamental backing vocals to the full. Musically, the title track continues Cohen’s penchant for dated keyboard effects, whilst the obscure lyric repeats and reiterates in the hope that it might eventually mean something.

Despite the distraction provided by Heather’s winter-white legs, Dear Heather is essentially an album of eulogies. As honourable and unselfish as that concept is, we’re left to wonder exactly who—if the man himself is so preoccupied with the death of others—is documenting this phase of Leonard’s life? Really, we can only hope that this isn’t the end of Leonard’s story. There must be more. But if this is the end, then I’m sorry to report that Dear Heatheris a particularly dour, unsatisfying way to end such an intriguing career.

Reviewed by: Colin Cooper

Reviewed on: 2004-11-08
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ahhhh, thanks, Jarkko :D ! Of course, by reading the threads in order, I read it through Marie's link and commented, before realizing you had brought it here. That's fine, though. At least it's here now for others :D .

It seems to me, 3Cees, that you just want Leonard to be 'the best that he can be' ~ whatever that might be, and in regard to this particular album, you have your own ideas. However, at the heart of it ~ you have Leonard's 'best interests' at heart. We can all agree that we want as much of, and as high quality of, Leonard as we are able in his time remaining. Some feel 'it doesn't get any better than this.' Others don't. No matter what, may he live well and for many years. On that we can agree :D .

~ Lizzy

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”