Telegraph Saturday 23rd October

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
margaret

Telegraph Saturday 23rd October

Post by margaret »

Nice 2 page article in the arts + books section of todays paper. "Twelve towering Cohen songs" written by Robert Sandall. Also Anjani's recent photo holding the hat. If I can figure out how to give a link to read this I'll add it later.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Margaret,
Robert Sandall's "Twelve Towering Cohen Songs" article is a timely reminder (as if Forum members needed one!) of the importance of Leonard Cohen's catalogue.
For those who don't have a copy of today's "Telegraph", the towering twelve are:
Suzanne
Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Bird on the Wire
Famous Blue Raincoat
Chelsea Hotel#2
Hallelujah
Everybody Knows
Tower of Song
First We Take Manhattan
Democracy
Closing Time
Alexandra Leaving

Maybe Jarkko would be interested in a "hard copy" for his burgeoning archive? If he's reading this post, and wants one, I'll have to buy another Telegraph, just for him. Well, someone has to keep a record of everything.
Andrew.
John Etherington

The Daily Telegraph Article

Post by John Etherington »

I find Robert Sandall's "best of" selection fairly predictable, but his selection of "key lyrics" is spot-on (he doesn't even resort to the expected when quoting "Chelsea Hotel 2"). However, I disagree with the writer's assertion that"the 1970s were Cohen's lean years". Let's face it, we got twice as many studio albums in the '70s as in any other decade! (plus a fine live album) In fact, "Songs of Love and Hate" and "Recent Songs" are arguably Leonard's two best albums (inevitably there is not one track from the latter in this selection). As his sixth album, "Recent Songs" now stands as the centrepiece of Leonard's career - it's rightful place in my opinion. Ironically, my least favourite of the Seventies albums is perhaps the one that Sandall describes as Leonard's gem from the decade, "New Skin For the Old Ceremony". Good though they are, I'm not so keen on the upbeat songs such as "Lover, Lover, Lover" and "There is a War". In fact, I fleetingly thought Leonard make be taking a wrong turn when I heard songs such as "Storeroom" and "Do I Have to Dance All Night".
Then my faith was restored with release of the masterful, "Recent Songs".
John Etherington
margaret

Post by margaret »

the article (and cd review ) can now be viewed on http://www.arts.telegraph.co.uk but you need to register with your email address first to access it.

Funnily enough, John E, I have playing Recent Songs only last week. It's a shame it's so underated and forgotten. There are some wonderful songs.

Leonard himself must have had second thoughts about Storeroom and Do I have to dance all night, as he never included them on any official albums.

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”