Just got a review copy of Dear Heather...

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
pulpy

Just got a review copy of Dear Heather...

Post by pulpy »

What a disappointment. I'm really bummed. Someone get this man a damn band. Enough with the synth/basement sound with Robinson and Co. It's so damn frustrating to listen to this.

The highlight for me is "On That Day," which was quite surprising to hear. I wasn't expecting a 9/11 song. Never mind a song dealing with 9/11 that doesn't totally suck.

I won't say it's uninspired, but I will say it's one of his worst albums, hands down. Maybe he should have stayed on the mountain.
bee

Post by bee »

Pulpy- I would never dare to say what you've said- not about the Dear Heather (have not heard that)- but
get this man a damn band
-
as much as I adore Leonard- the thought you've just expressed~ it is ever present with me, no matter what I listen to from Leonards CD's
And I thought- it was just me :oops: :cry:
Thank u Pulpy, now I c'n see- perhaps I am not that sick in my head :wink:
bee
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

I could not agree less with you

I listened all day on the new album. And I think it is full of nerve and intensity. The deeply serious tone in the lyrics(though also bright humour in 'Because of') I welcome.

wonderful songs are The letters, the faith, Dear heather..

I think this album is a surprise. It gives no new hit song for the charts, but is far beyond little critics.

Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
Juan

Post by Juan »

If you don't like the CD you could send it to me :P
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Pulpy, How does one get an advance review copy? Are you in the biz.

How did you get yours, Peter?
peter danielsen

As I have announced on the forum, my band "The Great Event" will be giving a release concert for Dear Heather on october 26. We will do versions of songs from the new album. For that sony has kindly send me a copy so that we can prepare for the concert.

Peter

And by the way, after listening to this album for 4 days I must say that this qualifies to be among the best from Cohen, actually I feel that this is the best album from him ever.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That was a lovely gesture on Sony's part, Peter :D . I'm glad to hear that it came together for you in that way 8) . My best wishes for your concert :D . If not all, how many [and which ones] of the songs do you intend to perform? All of them seems a lot to learn in a relatively short period of time. Or, do you plan to just see how far along you are by that point, and go with what you've managed to do well enough for performance? How has it been going, so far? I, of course, appreciate your final comment on the album itself 8) :D !

~ Elizabeth
peter danielsen

Hi Elizabeth

The first number we have been playing is "The Faith". We imediatly chose this number for several reasons. First of all because the song itself brought tears to our eyes. Then we felt that we (Carsten Krab and I) would like to make a reunion of the lovely women with whom we have been playing since we started doing leonard Cohen songs in 1995. Different women have sung with us and it is our plan that we all shall sing this song on stage together. We have had some wonderful days and nights with them, being welcomed in an intimate sense, and we have so much to thank Leonard Cohen for in this respect. The Concert will be our last concert doing all but Cohen songs. From now on we work on our own material and hope to make it big time all over the galaxy.

Other songs we plan to do is "Dear Heather" and "The Letters", but we will do as many as possible. The concert will also contain of songs like Suzanne, Dance to the end of love, Bird on a wíre, and many more

Regards
Peter
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Peter ~

That's a great idea with "The Faith" ~ to duplicate the idea of reunion. I won't comment on all that you have to be grateful for, with these women :wink: . It sounds like a wonderful concert, and as long as you do justice to his new songs [which surely you must, or you wouldn't be attempting such an ambitious project], I hope you're able to get even more 'down' by October 28.

~ Elizabeth
greenfeld69

Post by greenfeld69 »

I'm with pulpy, I'd like to hear Mr Cohen ditch the synths, etc. I guess the man loves what he's doing and, for that, you've got respect him so I'm not trying to bash him here.

I just don't take a lot from his latest music. Ten New Songs and this album do very little for me. In fact, I'm Your Man is the most recent album I can say I really like a lot. The Future has some glorious moments but, as a whole album, I don't like it as much as his earlier material.

Maybe this album will grow on me. I suspect many of you appreciate Leonard Cohen's music for his lyrics as much as the songs but, despite my admiration for his way with a canny couplet, his songwriting seems less inspired these days. And the production just doesn't agree with my ears.

To hear him using a band that sounds like that from the Field Commander Cohen CD would be a delight!
MasterThief

Post by MasterThief »

Well I love it. I've had it playing all afternoon. It's mesmerising. To get anything from this great artist in his 70th year is a real blessing. Happy Birthday tomorrow and thanks for the new album.
greenfeld69

Post by greenfeld69 »

MasterThief wrote:Well I love it. I've had it playing all afternoon. It's mesmerising. To get anything from this great artist in his 70th year is a real blessing. Happy Birthday tomorrow and thanks for the new album.
You're right, despite my comments, it's a fantastic thing that he is still writing and recording...please tour!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Master Thief ~

Please go to the "Happy Birthday Leonard!!!" thread in the News section, and relay your greetings and wishes to Leonard there. It's lovely that you're doing it on this one; however, he'll actually read the ones that are placed there! He won't read your greeting here. So, as long as you're going to do it, you might as well make it 'count' :D . It's a rare privilege that people who come to this site have. It's a combination of Leonard's kind and loving nature, and his positive relationship with Jarkko that have resulted in this privied pleasure for us [as well, of course, for Leonard].

~ Lizzytysh
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

O.K....somebody confess....everyone can't be getting "review" copies...who had a tape recorder under their jacket in New York?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: ~ Good point, Midnight :lol: . Of course, we didn't hear all the songs, either. However, for advance-commentary purposes, I wouldn't ask for smelling salts if I heard some copies of the review ones had been made and shared. I just didn't happen to be one of the recipients :wink: . That's fine, though. I always admire the parents who wait to see if it's a boy or girl :D .

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”