Funny response by husband to Dear Heather

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
LisaLCFan

Funny response by husband to Dear Heather

Post by LisaLCFan »

My husband heard the Dear Heather album for the first time the other night (he's a selective LC fan). Since seeing LC in concert last month, I have been listening to Leonard's CD's constantly, and my husband is oddly jealous (he has nothing to worry about!). This brings me to the first funny response of my husband, when he heard the line in "Because Of" that goes, "Then they bend over the bed and cover me up like a baby...", my husband muttered, "yeah, of course they do...". Funny misplaced jealousy! Then, when the title track came on, my husband looked at the stereo then at me and said, "Is he [LC] messing with us?" I guess my husband doesn't appreciate all of LC's creativity! (By the way, I love the Dear Heather album!) Anyway, I thought that this was funny, so I thought I'd share! Cheers!
iris

Re: Funny response by husband to Dear Heather

Post by iris »

Nice story Lisa! I recognize it a little: my late husband at first had the same reactions and questions. Until he really, i mean really! started to listen and besides saw what Cohens music did to me... and began to understood that this effect was very good for me and therefore for us both... :-).
Another memory: the first time he heard Tacoma Trailer he was shocked, who is this? I smiled, this also is LC. Impossible... but still. (maybe it helped that it is a song without words haha...)
He loved it very much and when he died, almost 8 years ago, this was one of the songs that we played.
Liking and loving LC`s music, it happens in the glimp of an eye, or ear, (with me when I heard fbr) but sometimes it takes time and patience (as with my husband and my sons). I hope you understand, my english is not very good and its difficult to find words for these experiences.
here is your love for all this
2008 amsterdam/rotterdam, 2009 antwerpen, 2010 gent/dortmund, 2012 gent/amsterdam, 2013 antwerpen/oberhausen/rotterdam/amsterdam
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

iris wrote: Another memory: the first time he heard Tacoma Trailer he was shocked, who is this? I smiled, this also is LC. Impossible... but still. (maybe it helped that it is a song without words haha...)
He loved it very much and when he died, almost 8 years ago, this was one of the songs that we played.
Iris: A very moving post. What a lovely memory.
Funny that you brought up Tacoma Trailer. It is on THE FUTURE (1992). I repeat it on my iPod. It has been haunting me for weeks. I would like to know more about it. Does anyone know the background to this spellbinding song without words?
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
iris

Post by iris »

Bridger, look at the site diamonds in the lines, there you`ll find quotes of lc himself of every song he made.
Thank you for your words, it is indeed a dear memory, as time goes by I can hear tacoma trailer and just remember the good times, especially his very amazed and amused reaction when he heard it for the first time, so nice :-)
2008 amsterdam/rotterdam, 2009 antwerpen, 2010 gent/dortmund, 2012 gent/amsterdam, 2013 antwerpen/oberhausen/rotterdam/amsterdam
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Lisa, I love the Dear Heather album too (and I kind of think he is messing with us on the title track :) ) My favorite song on there is probably Villanelle For Our Time...I love the way he says "commonwealth aGAIN". Just adore it. :lol: I also love The Faith. Such a beautiful song.

Iris, I think I have only listened to Tacoma Trailer once :shock: , must remedy that!

As for husbands, mine doesn't like LC's young voice (his first love is 80s Cohen) but loves his songwriting from all eras...so he was delighted to hear LC sing songs like Bird on A Wire and Suzanne in concert recently, with the "older" voice.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by LisaLCFan »

[quote="mnkyface"]...I love the way he says "commonwealth aGAIN". Just adore it. :lol:

That's how we say it in Canada! I love to hear him say it, too, since it reminds me that he's a fellow Canadian.

As for Tacoma Trailer, it is hauntingly beautiful. As is so much of LC's work...
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

It's funny how the LC effect has been on my life with my guy. I had been dating and then stopped dating this man 14 years older than me because I was concerned with the "age" thing, but interestingly enough, after meeting LC fairly recently and getting totally immersed in his magic and music, I found that I was easily able to let go of my old frame of mind which had been hindering me, and I'm so turned onto my guy because of Leonard Cohen that we've been propelled into a "new" invigorating relationship, to say the least. My how I love Leonard for this. AND...my guy actually said that the song which I love so much--Dance me to the end of love--is beginning to grow on him. So that's good. :) Cheers!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

charlajoy,

What a great song to have 'grow on' your guy! You met LC recently? Please, do tell the story.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

MaryB, Mystically speaking only. So sorry to mislead. Honestly, though, every part of my psyche has met this man within the last two months, introduced to me through my 21-year old son. I don't know HOW to thank Mr. Cohen for the light his soul and spirit, and the work of his soul and spirit, have shed on me, except to spiritually support him through my blessing. I hear his songs at night, during the day while my mind's on other things, and I I've seen his face and eyes. I feel like I've shared in his suffering, his journeying, his peace. I'm sure many others are attracted by the same qualities, but this is my expression. Thanks for the inquiry! And blessings on another Cohen fan....
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

charlajoy,

What a beautiful meeting with LC, if only in your mind.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

Dear MaryB,
I want to be kind, but truthful, too, so I find it necessary to add that I met LC with more than my mind, but not in a weird sense...I had been in some emotional turmoil and was praying for hope and kindness from anywhere, and I just "accidentally" (but not accidentally) met up with his song/poetry/spirit through my son. What incurred from that is that my whole being, not just my mind, became saturated with the light of knowledge and a power of being that can't be underestimated or play-acted. It was one of those moment that lasted for days and has continued to strengthen me. He has added an element to my life that can't be taken from me, kind of like one of those revelations that cause a person to become better than he was. Hope that explains it, and thanks for listening, Mary. charlajoy
iris

Post by iris »

Charlajoy how beautifully said! Thanks for joining that with us.
I can deeply relate to it myself. As I told before. During and after the great losses in my life, there are the songs, the poetry, and the example that LC is. He sings my soul. And that is what, among other things and persons, gives my life meaning.
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

iris wrote: He sings my soul. And that is what, among other things and persons, gives my life meaning.
Ditto, Iris. Thanks... charlajoy
gladysia

Post by gladysia »

My husband has a permanent resident card and it is about to expire? My husband and I have been married for almost 4 years. He received a permanent resident card on 4/27/06. It expires on 4/27/08 does anyone know what form we need to file for renewal or to extend it?

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”