"What Is Boogie Street For?"~Lightning's for Rose

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
lizzytysh

"What Is Boogie Street For?"~Lightning's for Rose

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Rock Rose ~ Eureka :D !!!

This thread on Sony's Leonard Cohen site was originally initiated by Lightning [also of this site]. With your answer, Rock Rose, to the question, "What is the meaning of life?," I immediately thought of this thread [specifically, Lightning's "conjecture" :lol: , from long ago, and that you'd enjoy her response. However, there were others that were enjoyable, too, so why not import them all :D ? I guess I could put it in the Comments & Questions section, yet since it has to do with Leonard's song, decided on here. This may bring a bit of a feeling of nostalgia for the several who came from over there to here. I hope you enjoy it [I think you will :) ] ~ and, of course [you and anyone], feel free to add to it :) :

In Ten New Songs Leonard Cohen has said that no-one yet has told him what Boogie Street is for. Can we help him out? Someone on this board must know. If not, speculate. "It's for boogeying." "It's the only way to get from pre-Boogie Street to Post-Boogie Street."
Why does it have to be for anything?
All smart as well as dumb ideas are welcome.
*************************************************************Geez, Lightning....don't need to go any further on that one--your pre-Boogie to post-Boogie works great for me! [as I continue to laugh out loud...Leonard would have to love that one....kinda takes me back to your courtyard scene].

Elizabeth
Lightening
I speculate that Boogie Street is the place where spirit becomes flesh. As imperfect beings, we require a place where mistakes can be made and the earthly delights savored. A place where our fantasies can be lived out and projected onto others. It is part of our growth cycle until we reach the place where we can let all of this go and become one with other spiritual beings. I know that I am a long way from letting go of the earthly plane and nowhere near perfection. Boogie Street is out there waiting for me-saving me a place in the traffic jam. My husband is busy tiding up the "kitchenette." Dinner is eaten and homework is done. The kids are watching TV. I have joined the online salon of Leonard Cohen fans.
Vanessa
*************************************************************Hi Vanessa....with both smart and dumb ideas welcome, yours clearly comes under the first heading. Isn't it interesting how Leonard leaves those questions unanswered for his listeners to fill in the blanks. He poses the question; identifies that there's a stranger in our midst; etc. and leaves the answers to us. Great technique.

Elizabeth
*************************************************************Hi Lightning,

As a recent discoverer of Leonard Cohen's work I've found several, to say the least, phrases, wordings and point blank statements that I've been either puzzled by or hit between the eyes with. However, until I started reading the posts of others on this board, I thought I knew about Boogie Street.

I can remember hearing/using the term as far back as about 40 years ago. Back during some time in the military (the Army at that time). Back then the Army only paid once a month. Toward the end of the month or usually sooner, times would get a little hard. People would be asking for 5 or 10 dollars until payday. or til "I can get back on Boogie Street". Payday would put you back on Boogie Street, if only for a few days.

The term was used not just for payday but for any action that would put you back to a more comfortable state. i.e. you car breaks down, you get it fixed, you're back on Boogie Street. Your wife/girlfriend has been unhappy with you and you finally see the trace of a smile. You're back on Boogie Street!

And so on....

Bob
*************************************************************Bob:
So Boogie Street could be perhaps a slang term that has fallen into general disuse or is a specialized term used by a subgroup currently (the army).
I would be very interested to hear if any current members of the military are familiar with this term. Thank you for your insight.
Someone else posted a while back that it was a street in Bangkok (sort of a red light district if I remember correctly). If all of this is true, I wonder which came into useage first?
Vanessa
Hi Bob and Vanessa....I love your historical, military data on the phrase, Bob, and it definitely resonates as being just usage. Vanessa, the Bangkok reference was made by me, quoting Leonard from an article/interview, I believe "Our Poet of the Apocalypse." Even though I teasingly [still truthfully in terms of my appreciate of her humour] told Lightning that we need go no further, I'm indeed looking forward to what others have to say on this question.

Elizabeth
I think your idea is intresting

"so it is the continous stutter of the word being made into flesh"

could be..............

I prefer to think of it as the matieral hum drum of earthly existence

shallow, prostituting and with no spiritual balance or creativity

It is Boogie Street that ties us to Earth

Regards..................Georges
Hi Vanessa and Elizabeth,

Quite frankly, I don't think my usage of the term "Boogie Street" was all that widespread even where I heard/used it. It wasn't an often heard or overused remark, but seemed to be generally understood to mean as I explained it.

The word "Boogie" was used a lot more extensively, although I don't know if it still is or not (in the military). I know words used like that do change with time. From reading the papers and hearing the news, I guess the word "Roll" as in "Let's Roll" has maybe became the more popular word now. We used to say "Let's Boogie" when it was time to act. Or "Boogie Now". If you were to do something with more intensity it would be "Boogie Down"

I know when I first heard Leonard's "A Thousand Kisses Deep" and he said "I'm turning tricks, I'm gettin' fixed, I'm back on Boogie Street", I laughed out loud, caught me totally by surprise to hear that again. I thought "he nailed that one".

Now, all that being said, everyone else has their ideas about what it means and that's great too. I like reading everyone's take. Make's you think and enjoy the music even more.

[written by Bob]
Jools Holland uses the word Boogie a lot but its in the context of "letting it all hang out" and dancing

The Boogie street Leonard refers to is still i maintain the husstle of street culture away from the serenity of MT. Baldy.

Regards......................Georges
Well, I like your interpretations of "Boogie Street," I think even a bit more simply because they have such a military influence with you. With Leonard's own "fascination" with the military, it seems quite appropriate. I also like how your usages go so far back in time.

I really agree with you that it adds even more texture and layering to the music when you hear how Leonard's words come through to everyone else.

Elizabeth
Hi:
Thank you for sharing. It's fun when you can make a connection like you did with Boogie Street. Every culture develops its own slang and language that is sometimes difficult to explain to the outside world because it sometimes sounds so irreverent. There is a lot of medical jargon/slang out there as well as a part of hospital culture. It saves time explaining what's happening and is a source of decompression at times. The darkest places sometimes hold the darkest humor. The military is chock full of it, I know. A lot of accronymms during World War II and afterwards that sometimes leaked into civilian useage like snafu. It would be fun to trace all the threads of Boogie. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B comes to mind.
Vanessa
That sounds like a very intriguing endeavor, Vanessa. Boogie has definitely had a wide variety/applications of usage. Oh, do I know what you mean about the dark humour related to various professions.

Elizabeth
Hi Vanessa,

Yes, it's interesting to hear how others interpret things. I like to listen to Boogie Street now and use some of the other interpretations. Makes it a whole new song. This maybe belongs on another thread, but I seem to take "Closing Time" differently too. It has a country style to it but I take it as talking about our culture/civilization. Everything about the song relates this to me. I don't see the bar scene except as a reference to the way we (as a culture/civilization) are going thru life.

I could imagine in your field there are quite a few of those slang words/phrases being used. Being in communications for some time in the military, we usually took "ops normal" to be the word for "snafu"

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy? Was that the Andrews Sisters? That's been awhile. Bob
Bob
Yes I can see where Closing Time can be interpreted that way. I will have a listen again with that in mind. You can take a small piece of any civilization and draw many inferences from it. If only one of Leonards songs were to survive let's say 1000 years into the future, which one should it be? How would civilization at that time interpret our current one based on it? He has had quite a career here going from the 20th into the 21st century.
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy was done by the Andrews Sisters originally and then covered in the 70's by Bette Midler.
I'll check into the word Boogie if I have a chance later.
Vanessa
I also really like your interpretation of Closing Time, and will as Vanessa plans to do, listen again with that in mind. I'm like you with everyone's various interpretations and input. For me, it only adds richness and texture, and added dimension to my listening and pleasure. I haven't seen anyone's as "wrong" but rather different, unique, etc. and have appreciated their "bringing it to me."

Elizabeth
My interpretation of Boogie Street is one of a man returning to all that he has abandoned; a return from a self imposed exile…

mm

“with a smile upon my face I told her that I had been looking for her all of my life and now I had found her”. She replied “ I have been looking for me even longer and as yet not had the same success”
Mirrormist.....

WOW! Where did THOSE two great lines come from? They're worth remembering for application in daily life.....to be fair, one would have to lead with, "As someone/a friend of mine once said...."

Your interpretation of Boogie Street sounds quite likely, particularly with Leonard....just that all-encompassing, symbolic reference. Interesting.

Elizabeth
A variation of these lines I tried to incorporate into my writing over the weekend...without success. I think I was under the influence of Leonard at the time. :)

mm
Mirrormist....

Why a variation? Were they not yours to begin with? If they were, they're perfect as is. If not, whose are they? Are they Leonard's.......? I could see that.

Elizabeth
Dear Elizabeth,

to boogie.........(make music in a particular kind of way..........)was a favourite phrase of the 60/70's blues band Canned Heat. Lots of their songs had boogie in the title.

Bob (The Bear ) Hite would always end their live shows with the words "And dont forget to Boogie ......Boogie"

JP
Thanks, James.....that word/phrase/concept has sure gotten a lot of mileage, hasn't it? It's beginning to sound like it's worthy of a research project [smile].

Elizabeth
Yes they are my words...I just reversed the roles and changed a few of the words from those I had written down at the weekend that is all. If I can manage to fit them into the context of a poem I will but even then slight changes made need to be made...I just thought it sounded good, profound even Hahaha!

I think It is rather Cohenesque...I would be mortified to find out that they were Leonards and that they had buried themselves so deeply into my subconscious that when they resurfaced I believed them to be my own...but I am sure as one can be sure that they are from my own thoughts.

mm
Yes, Mirrormist....they are Cohenesque...however, he would understand if they originated from him and resurfaced from out of you later. I'm certain that, unlike George Harrison, you would not end up in court. They're great, and I'm glad to hear that they are yours, which I'm certain they are. Yes...they are all of that.....good, profound, and humorous. I'll be interested to see the poem they end up in.

Elizabeth
Thankyou Elizabeth,

I am inspired to have another try at giving them some life...I will jot down and email you on how to cut and paste.

mm
I'm a Cohen rookie (and only 23) so I hope my insight is not too naive. I've not heard Boogie Street used in the army (i've been in the Reserve for 6 years with stints of active time.) The closest relative I can think of is 'Square Yourself Away' which is nowhere near as colorful as Boogie Street.

I've only heard the song a couple of times, but I understood Boogie Street to be a place of mild chaos, isolation and uncertainty to which we return after a failed pursuit of some goal or after having lost something we had our hands on. It is where we sift aimlessly through the croud, as through the crowd on a busy midday Manhattan street; we go where we are scheduled to be, we act out the monotonous daily ritual that commands our existence. I think it's where we hope. Hope for something exciting to come out and shout in our face. I think it's where we hope to be more than just another rush hour driver, more than a face sifting through the crowd to reach some scheduled destination. It's where we hope bitterly, wondering where the previous pleasures went and if new ones will show themselves any time soon.

As I said, I'm a Cohen first timer, so I don't know him that well yet. But that's what I got.
Dear Robman
I've never been one to associate age with insight. Many excellent insightful poets wrote while still very young. Many older people care to have no insight at all for whatever reason. Thank you for your comments. They are as valid as anyone elses.
Vanessa
Dear Robman.....Before I read Vanessa's response to you, which I can see follows beneath.....

Your temptation to undermine your "rookie" perspective, followed by your "naieve" take on it, brings to mind the phrase, "Out of the mouths of babes....." Your take makes some very subtle and important distinctions...and I think it's excellent. You have a long, wonderful road of listening ahead of you.....

Thanks for your very intelligent, interesting, and perceptive analysis of what "Boogie Street" means to you. It really resonated with me.

Now, I'll go back and see Vanessa's response, which I know already will be very supportive of it. I was hearing horns honking all around, and brushing against thousands of others on the sidewalk, as I felt the emptiness of the day ahead, and checked my watch.....

Elizabeth
And ditto to that, Vanessa/Robman! So true regarding the choices of some older people....and not all people your age have your insight either. Even though it sounds like you're in Manhattan, where the air is not fresh, your interpretation comes sparkling with fresh air! And as Vanessa has said, valid as anyone else's, as well as valid in what you've said.

Elizabeth
Everyone probably has got his own Boogie Street. I think it consists of water. You enter Boogie Street when you`re tired of your bordered life and jumping into its cool water feels bracing. It`s like starting for an new objective or a promised land or something like that. Then you`re swimming for a while but bit by bit you come to understand that you will never get anywhere and slowly, very slowly you start drowning. The moment your lips are kissed you perhaps think you had arrived - but only seconds later you look around you and no watersides are in sight.

I thought of that because there is a lot of water in this song: the rivers, the waterfalls, the sea. What Boogie Street is for? No idea. Perhaps I just needed to be bold enough to outstretch my legs to notice that I can stand high and dry.

Just an idea. I don`t know much about Cohen and I´m sorry if I bored you. But let me ask you one quetion: do you think there are parallels between Boogie Street and Desolation Row?

Bye Moritz
Oh, "the sea" is out of "a thousand kisses deep"!

sorry
[from Ritzdeaf]
Hi Ritzdeaf!

No problem, borrowing between songs still works with Cohen. Your analogy is great....and still works! Whether or not there happened to be a droplet in the song, the visual you created is wonderful and remarkably still consistent. Aside from being a Piscean, I appreciated it fully on its own merits. Great thoughts brought together and not boring at all!

Thanks, and please keep coming back and having your say. With your interpretive analogy of Boogie Street, do keep swimming toward the island with Cohen at your side......you're in the watery realm with the most amazing of Olympians, ethnic-consistent as well. Yes, I can also see the similarities with Desolation Row.

Elizabeth
Dear Moritz.....

I'm interested to know how and where you discovered Cohen.....I already know why. You were destined. I really enjoyed your interpretation of Boogie Street and would like to see more of your ideas on Cohen and his work, as you come to know him better.

Elizabeth
Boogie Street could be Leonard's return to the beginning of things, Just when we think we have things figured out in life, or a situation is going well, then an obstacle somes along, we usually find ourselves delayed, if not, having to begin all over again.

And with ten new songs, how different it is from previoius albums, maybe that's is where Leonard is, at the beginning, kind of like being re-born...

Just a thought.

Worrdman
And a good thought, as well, Worrdman, highlighting how the beauty of language, thought, and people allows us an eternity of interpretations of everything. We still have scholars debating the masterpieces of centuries past. As a woman said to another at the Brunch on Sunday, "You can go 5,000 years into the past and you can go 5,000 years into the future, and you will never find another you. There is only one, there will only be one, and it's impossible to compare yourself with another, as there is only one." With that in mind, our individual perceptions will always have differences as well. *Even when we think we totally agree, if we were to draw out the images in our minds that the words represent to us, therein we would find the extremes in our interpretations.* Finding those with whom we resonate, our kindred spirits, feels so necessary and so real, yet we will forever remain our individual selves.

I like your interpretation of Boogie Street.

Elizabeth

EDIT: *....* = and the emotional overlays of all that those images bring.
Rock Rose ~ That's it :D !!!

THEN, as is wont to happen, the thread wandered on to other things! "I hope you enjoyed the ride. :) "

However, as you can see, we had a great time discussing two, "mere" :wink: words of Leonard's.

Does anyone here wish to share what Boogie Street connotations they have had as they've listened to Leonard's songs? It'd be great to see what Boogie Street means to people here 8) .

~ Elizabeth
Tony

Post by Tony »

I am going to be completely selfish and say that I don't want to share my connotations with anybody. I don't have too many anyway.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

No problem on that, Tony :D ~ as you'll notice, I didn't share mine either, on the thread. Still quite entrenched in that intimidation stage with regard to "interpretations" of Leonard's lyrics. So, I understand. Plus, there's also that privacy of ideas phenomenon, too. And there's always that "Tony phenomenon" to consider :wink: . Enjoyed your reply, regardless :) . Certainly no forced sharing. Just neat to see how different people view his lyrics, right down to references as relatively "simple" as that.

~ Lizzytysh
Rock Rose

Post by Rock Rose »

:D Hey Lizzy - you found it!!!! Your perseverence was worthwhile - great idea for a thread.

I'm never very sure about interpreting lyrics particularly of Leonards but I'm going to now - not just because you went to so much trouble in bringing the thread here Lizzy - well maybe it is!!!! Anyway........

What and where is Boogie Street? I think it's a place, real or imaginary, to go to when we feel like thumbing our nose at the world when it and it's people are giving us too much hassle. A place where we go dressed absolutely outrageously to dance wildly and with abandon, to 'bop 'til we drop' and afterwards feel the benefit of the cathartic experience and thus able to get on with life and all the rest the world wants to through at us........until the next time we need to visit Boogie Street.

Thank yooooo Lizzy :)

Rock Rose
Lead Thou me to the land of the angels, be to me as a star, be to me as a helm.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hey Boppy-Do, Rock Rose :D !

And here one might have thought the possibilities had been exhausted ~ Nope 8) ! "Bop 'til we drop" ~ the only version of that phrase I've heard is "shop 'til we drop" :shock: and yours has m-u-u-u-u-c-h better connotations!!! I've seen people in the mode you've described, and it does fit! I guess I've been on my way to Boogie Street, but never quite got there, with all the elements.

From your description, it's a place we can visit quite regularly, in fact. I had my own Boogie Street in the Keys. It's called Mangrove Mama's, a smallish, intimate, wooden building with wood shutters that were opened for the night, with screens keeping the mosquitoes off. Yet, the door was left open, with the jazz-blues-salsa-reggae blend of music reaching you in the night, before you had even pulled off Highway One. The group was "The Survivors" and their music was danceably sublime and spoke to that indigenous part of you where you felt "at One" with the earth and all the other elements. Dancing alone [as I did not hesitate to do] was common. Still, I dressed only semi-wildly :) , in flowing, long dress, and danced with abandon [semi-"wildly" until literally ~ not using this for effect ~ four in the morning. It was cathartic, too, and I went there every Sunday night and danced ~ almost non-stop ~ from 9 to 4, for 7 years. I might have one or two Beck's Dark beers in the course of the night, or I might drink only water. It was all about "the Dance" :D . It sounds like you may know what I mean, and that your description may come from your own experience ~ or, as in my case, at least partially so :) .

With Leonard, the dressing and dancing outrageously wouldn't have to manifest, of course. According to all the expectations for contained behaviour and practices in the monastery, just returning to daily life with friends, and his "normal" activities on an ongoing basis ~ writing and recording, without any prerequisite interruption ~ and with more carnality, of course :wink: ~ would seem to fit with your definition and what it's for! Not necessarily "fed up" with being a monk, or "thumbing his nose" at being a monk, but feeling perhaps "dominated"[?] by the routine, and definitely feeling it's "just not for him." Simply and with respect, he makes this known in his song. So, with your description, it's for a "release" from anything, even if the effects are only temporary, and it will need to be repeated. Thanks, Rock Rose :D ! I'm glad you enjoyed everyone else's and still added your own 8) !

As I'm recalling, finding this thread is one of the things I spent my work down-time doing, since I couldn't find the site link for Nick Cave that you'd given me. Now that I have it, per your PM [thanks!], I'll focus on that next time. Down-time occurs frequently enough there. The time I was finally able to locate this thread, it just happened to be inordinately long, and worked out perfectly. Thanks again for adding to it :D .

~ Lizzy
Lostlyric

Post by Lostlyric »

Hi All:

Pretty amazing thread this. Thought I would share my interpretation of the song. First off I think Leonard is using “Boogie Street” as a metaphor of earthly, transient life AS WELL AS a spiritual, enduring life. Two different universes, i.e. the earthly (“dark one”) and the spiritual (“crown of light”). I see the song as drawing a link between the ephemeral joys of earthly life e.g. "turning tricks", romantic love & sexual desire, partying and *boogieing*/dancing etc.; however you wish to define it. The emphasis is on the transience of all these joys, thus we have, “A sip of wine, a cigarette, And then it's time to go”. In fact it is time to go back to one’s mundane life of traffic jams, where they make place for anyone willing to wait (an ironical reference in my opinion which begs the question: to wait but why and for what since everything is fleeting?? The precise predicament the song is about). In fact I think the song “A Thousand Kisses Deep” is a reference to the life of ephemeral, earthly love and earthly happinesses and is a prequel to “Boogie Street”.

The enduring Boogie Street is one consisting of love, serenity, a spiritual and self-realized state (“state of grace” as Leonard might call it) which does away with the complexities of our crazy lives and the impermanence of everything we desire and want to hold on to for e.g. the pain of losses, whether it is love or something else. Thus we have, “So come, my friends, be not afraid. We are so lightly here”. The “here” is a reference to the enduring “Boogie Street” i.e. doing away with all the complex paraphernalia of impermanent happiness, materialism, excess and instead finding enduring joy, love, happinesses and so on. He says one can travel lightly to the spiritual “Boogie Street”. (Remember, “You don’t need no passport, you don’t need no visa.....” George Harrison).

At the same time Leonard seems to be saying that the experience of ephemeral happinesses is not purposeless, it is an indicator that there is a more enduring happiness/joy or love. This is what the transitional (earthly if you will) Boogie Street is for, as a sort of place where one experiences happiness, and gets a taste of it (even if transient) and then move on to seeking a state of enduring love, happinesses etc. He is also saying that the earthly impermanent world is a training ground for experiencing the discipline and sacrifices that enduring love and happiness requires. Thus he writes the stanza which ends with, “By such instructions you prepare a man for Boogie Street”.

Again there is another stanza which speaks to this as it ends with “There’s no one who has told us yet what Boogie Street is for”. I think it is very interesting that Leonard is not asking for any kind of direction. He is not even remotely saying, “Where is Boogie Street?” But instead he is saying there is no one who has told us what the ephemeral, transitional happinesses are for (the passing joys of the human condition). But is implying that we are missing the point of romantic love, even though it comes to an end (“It is in love that we are made; In love we disappear.....”). And then he goes on to talk about flesh and blood i.e. all the pleasures of the body are so exhaustively explored in the world we live in. And yet no one has told us what all this pleasure, this impermanent love is for since it is fleeting and goes away - what is its purpose. The underlying idea of this stanza is that what the two Boogie Streets have in common is joy, love and so on, albeit the methods in the two Boogie Streets are different, and that in the spiritual Boogie Street we find enduring love and joy.

In the chorus which goes, “O Crown of Light, O Darkened One, I never thought we’d meet. You kiss my lips, and then it’s done: I'm back on Boogie Street.” Leonard is speaking of the spiritual force which manifests itself in both Boogie Streets (the crown of light and dark one). Here it seems to me that he is saying that he keeps getting a taste of the enduring Boogie Street “You kiss my lips”, but then it is over, and he is back on the Boogie Street of transient joys (the life of traffic jams etc.). I think in the chorus Leonard is speaking of his own predicament, that he has found the enduring spiritual universe he was seeking for, even though he did not think he would find it. After attaining it ("You kiss my lips") he finds he keeps slipping back to the darkened, elusive, transient universe (which too manifests the spiritual force in its own way) i.e. the earthly Boogie Street, the one we all hearken to in our lives (the darkened one). I can only speculate that this *might* be because Leonard is saying he needs to do more work spiritually so that he does not slip back into the transient, earthly Boogie street universe.

Well that is my interpretation of the song.

Best,

Biraj
"So if you're sitting all alone and hear a-knocking at your door and the air is full of promises, well buddy, you've been warned!!!"

Nick Cave on love
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Biraj ~

I am so glad you located this thread :D ! You have added tremendous insight and enjoyment to this thread and Leonard's song. Thank you for your inspiring and in-depth, multi-layered, spiritual interpretation. I love it that you took on the song in its entirety, as well. Excellent beyond belief 8) :D !

~ Elizabeth
Lostlyric

Post by Lostlyric »

Dear Elizabeth:

Thank you for your touching words of appreciation. You have made my day.

Thanks again,

Best,

Biraj
"So if you're sitting all alone and hear a-knocking at your door and the air is full of promises, well buddy, you've been warned!!!"

Nick Cave on love
Purna

Re: "What Is Boogie Street For?"~Lightning's for Rose

Post by Purna »

I know that the song probably has another meaning, or many meanings, but as I heard it for the first time last night, it reminded me of the ancient Indian love songs to god as the dark lord Krishna. His lips, kisses and carresses are the best -- he is god after all. But, we end up distracted in the marketplace, ie, boogie street, and forget our soul's first lover - the dark god.
annkuzy

Re: "What Is Boogie Street For?"~Lightning's for Rose

Post by annkuzy »

I thought being back on Boogie street meant being back on drugs?

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”