CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by bridger15 »

KimSolez wrote:A great night! Here are my images of it:

http://gallery.me.com/evocative1#100741

Best regards. - Kim
Thanks for posting your excellent photos. I watched it as a slideshow and it did indeed reflect a great night. I love your close-ups of all the polka dot blouses on the stage and especially the shot (5755) of one helluva polka dot blouse thrower winding up for the pitch. :D

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Hey you lucky people who were actually there, can you tell me something? Was the polka dot 'blouse' throwing moment - the one which still left everyone fully dressed - a spontaneous event, or was it a pre-planned but extremely successful joke on Leonard? 8)
"We are so lightly here"
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi remote1,

I still need to gather all my wits about me to share my feelings from the past several incredible days but noticed your question. This was a "keep the lips zipped" planned moment by a very devoted (read.."slightly crazed") group of Forum women! :D ;-) 8) The names of the perpetrators will remain silent unless they wish to divulge them 8) . We were seated in various rows close to the stage but we relied upon the expert body language and tossing ability of 2 co-conspirators in the front row who did such an excellent job! We wanted to send Leonard off with a moment to remember :D :D :D

And, oh yes, I "think" we were all still fully dressed....but one can never be sure.... ;-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi remote1 ~

;-)

Since what I found was a white-on-black polka dot dress, I decided that Leonard might as well have a full-bodied dance. It was a hot little garment with spaghetti straps... size 8. The label was something like "TrueHearts" ~ done deal.

Sitting third row, however, I didn't even try to do anything other than pass it forward and rely on the arm strength of one of the front-row two to get it there [thank you :D ].
I believe I remained clothed; though I confess I didn't check ;-) .

Along with my offering, I also passed along the polka-dot blouse that Sheila [imaginary friend] had given me when we met near the merchandise table before the show. She explained that she was too far back to try to throw it. At first, I encouraged her to try, but after getting seated, I was glad that she had given me hers, as sitting in the third row, I was still too far to try to throw.

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
j6ppc

Post by j6ppc »

I'm still gathering my thoughts as well.
Thank you to everyone who came and especially to those who helped organize.
Maarten's name tags were great as well.

The blouse throwing cabal was priceless.

If anyone got 1000 kisses on video I'd be extremely grateful for it. The last strophe was I believe completely new but I believe I heard other changes in the body of the poem as well.

There were lots of differences both lyrically and in the musical arrangements Friday night. It felt almost as if Leonard told the band to have a little extra fun that night.

I enjoyed meeting many of you as well and look forward to future opportunities to do so.
Bests

Jon
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

While we are all waiting breathlessly for Triple "A" Noonan to cross the pond back to Auld Eire, here is my humble video of:

I'M YOUR MAN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3R4-6NgTsA

I was sitting at the side in the "end zone, goal post" area and it afforded quite a different view from the preceding four concerts where I was in various seats in the front section. I had a great view of LC's choreography, Dino' virtuoso glissando and Roscoe, "The Kid Is Back", Beck's pleeeeeease with new sexy haircut.

The audience was wildly enthusiastic joining in the refrain, "I'm Your Man" each time. At the close of the song, LC just let 'em have it to sing by themselves.

For me, this was such an awesome experience, I retract everything negative I ever said about a concert in a hockey arena. Whether it's the 1,800 seat symphony hall in San Diego or the 17,000 hockey arena in San Jose, Leonard Cohen, his band, sound and lighting engineers transcend and rule! Equally awesome.

---Arlene

ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Arlene,

Wonderful catch of "I'm Your Man"! Love the crowd reaction (actually heard myself a couple of times ;-) ) and especially like how everyone finishes the last line for Leonard! What a night that was...and yes, Roscoe the kid, is totally hot! :D
j6ppc

Post by j6ppc »

Great video Arlene! Thanks so much for posting it.
I also think that there needs to be an official bubbe hired on for any future Leonard Cohen tours!
Bests

Jon
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Humble h - e- double l, Arlene. Your video is BEAUTIFUL! And your perspective is unique. We are not used to seeing this more sideways view of the stage and you're right on how much it captures. It's the first I've seen such a good view of Roscoe's contribution. And being so close to Dino... well, who could possibly complain? When you first mentioned where you sat, I felt badly... but having seen this, I don't feel so badly anymore [maybe the acoustics could've been better, yet what's on your video doesn't feel lacking] and I feel happy for us for the views that you've brought 8) .

Thank you :D !!!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

:lol: :lol:

Jon, I almost volunteered for the position. Heck, I'd volunteer for any position just to be able to be on the Tour! That is, until I discovered the meaning of bubbe! This exalted position definitely belongs to Arlene! :D

Diana
(just a shiksa...)
remote1

Post by remote1 »

ladydi wrote:Hi remote1,

I still need to gather all my wits about me to share my feelings from the past several incredible days but noticed your question. This was a "keep the lips zipped" planned moment by a very devoted (read.."slightly crazed") group of Forum women! :D ;-) 8) The names of the perpetrators will remain silent unless they wish to divulge them 8) . We were seated in various rows close to the stage but we relied upon the expert body language and tossing ability of 2 co-conspirators in the front row who did such an excellent job! We wanted to send Leonard off with a moment to remember :D :D :D

And, oh yes, I "think" we were all still fully dressed....but one can never be sure.... ;-)
A-ha! They don't call me Sherlock for no reason! :D
Well done! It worked so well, it is such a treat to watch Leonard's reaction, as well as the other band members'. Promise I won't tell Leonard that it was all planned! ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ladydi wrote::lol: :lol:

Jon, I almost volunteered for the position. Heck, I'd volunteer for any position just to be able to be on the Tour! That is, until I discovered the meaning of bubbe! This exalted position definitely belongs to Arlene! :D

Diana
(just a shiksa...)
Hold on everyone. LC is older than I am. So, I would prefer to apply for the position of Leonard's ... well ... you know. :D

sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some video from "bayareanorthernsoul "at YouTube. Thanks!!

This is fun! "Closing Time" - The video is shot mostly from the big screen - and I love the little bit of video of Neil Larsen's hands on the Hammond B3 - at 2:15. :D :D

BUT - the person doing the video moved from the big screen at the beginning and caught a great view of the stage and the havoc that was being wrecked. UFO's hitting the stage - quickly identified as polka dot blouses (and dresses - and maybe other polka dot "wearing apparel?") :lol: :lol: :lol: You see Charley wing one of the blouses back out to the audience. And at the end is more video of the stage. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Closing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcc3Xcuiw2A

Also -
Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UMhq5i8l4

If It Be Your WIll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydbZS-L70IA
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Regarding the "Pleeeeeeeeeese" (TM Roscoe Beck) - isn't this the first time that he has received the spotlight treatment?

He was always somewhat in the light at this particular point of the song - because he was directly behind Leonard. But at the San Jose show - he is definitely and finally given the spotlight for this solo. 'Bout time!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it is not just a "by chance" thing. It happens both times!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j6ppc

Post by j6ppc »

bridger15 wrote: Hold on everyone. LC is older than I am. So, I would prefer to apply for the position of Leonard's ... well ... you know. :D
OK so I guess Arlene has various positions in mind!
Bests

Jon

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”