CONCERT REPORT: Las Vegas, NV, November 12

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Las Vegas, NV, November 12

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.californiachronicle.com/arti ... /137759810
Las Vegas Review-Journal Jason Bracelin column: CONCERT REVIEW: Leonard Cohen stirs passions during spirited Caesars show
By Jason Bracelin, Las Vegas Review-Journal

Nov. 14--He sang the songs as if he were whispering them into a lover's ear.

His voice was husky, seductive and more than a little worn around the edges, a coiled snake of sensuality.

In song, Leonard Cohen once claimed to have a heart of ice, and yet his tunes could melt a glacier with all their libidinal heat.

The man's crazy for love, his repertoire being his padded cell.

"Love is not a victory march," he purred at one point Thursday at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. "It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah."

"Hallelujah," the song in question, was a triumphant sounding, lump-in-the-throat hymnal that Cohen sang from his knees in a penitent pose.

"I did not come to the palace of Caesar to fool you," he added moments later, earnest as can be.

Cohen's skilled at filling a room with lots of dark clouds, but in the end, most of them prove to have a nickel-plated lining.

He sees the beauty in decay, the promise in imperfection.

"Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering," he sang on "Anthem." "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."

As such, his show on Thursday was a joyous, spirited occasion, even when Cohen was questioning his own fate.

"I see no future, I know my days are few," he growled during the hard-eyed blues swing of "The Darkness," a new tune that sounded far more invigorated than resigned.

This was a constant of the evening.

Playing with a six-piece band and a trio of backing singers, including longtime collaborator Sharon Robinson and the sublime Webb Sisters, Cohen turned in loose-limbed, slightly more full-bodied versions of standards like "Chelsea Hotel No. 2" and "Bird on the Wire," rendering many of them spry, self-aware waltzes that somehow managed to feel both upbeat and downcast at once.

Cohen seemed determined to match the energy of his band, skipping on and off the stage like he had bedsprings for legs, smiling broadly, singing with his knees pressed together, harnessing the full force of his dapper frame.

Performing on a sparsely appointed stage, bathed in red and purple hues, Cohen and his band often appeared as dark silhouettes in an even darker room.

It created an intimate, unguarded atmosphere that suited Cohen's material well and to which the rapturous, near-capacity crowd responded as if he were serenading each and every one of them individually.

If Cohen's catalog is capable of stirring such passions, it's no secret why. There is precious little ambivalence in his works. He thrusts himself headfirst into the love, longing, rapture and defeat that defines much of it.

There's seldom any middle ground amidst it all, and this kind of uninhibitedness can be intoxicating.

"Give me Christ, or give me Hiroshima," he sang during the punchy shuffle of "The Future," and that pretty much says it all.

And yet, it's all delivered with a knowing wink, a palpable lack of pretense despite the poetic license in which Cohen freely indulges.

To wit, he ended his nearly three-hour performance with an extended "I Tried to Leave You," a song that took on a double meaning as Cohen sung it in a voice so deep, it occasionally mimicked the drone of a didgeridoo.

"Good night my darling, I hope you're satisfied," he sang, addressing a former flame and the crowd in the same breath. "Here's a man still working for your smile."

And then he left the stage, knowing that his work was complete.

Contact reporter Jason Bracelin at jbracelin@ reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0476.

-----
Last edited by bridger15 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ladydi wrote:
I'm Canyonlady on youtube. ..
Diana
OUTSTANDING Video, Diana. Well done! I expect to see lots of your videos from Moscow.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Moscow? Lady di are you going....
donalagata
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi donalagata,

Oh yes! Now I'm starting to approach the truly obsessed! :roll: Yes, Moscow is on my list...along with 2 or 3 other exotic locations waiting to be announced. Thank goodness I work for an airline! Decided that the 2008-2009 Tour was just not enough for me! :D

Diana
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Casterbridgecohen - Thank you for the original clarification of 'the palace of Caesar' not, 'the Palace at Caesar's'. An important difference in semantics!

Arlene - Such a steady hand in 'FWTM', ala IrishAl - fantastic video! And yes, you did capture the monkey (which I've named Vegas Ed) beautifully - thank you so much!

Leslie - Even though your glow stick idea was an extension of Barcelona and Tel Aviv, it was so ephemeral. I was priviledged to be part of it.

Diana - 'Oh yes you are!' was absolutely perfect! I hope someone captured it on video.

Linda - thank you for all the tweets and especially for the blog from the Caesar's bellman. It was truly special!

FYI - The handful of women's screams (as quoted in the 'theopeningacts' post provided by Linda), one of them was for the line "I'll wear a leather mask for you". Maybe that's why it was not repeated in SJ - fear of another onslaught of screams.

Albert - what is there more to say that hasn't been said already. I have so much appreciation for what you do - thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I absolutely LOVED the story by the Vegas bellman. Easily one of my favorite things I have ever read on this forum.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Actually »

ladydi wrote:The second time Leonard sang "and I'm crazy for love but I'm not coming on", I merely shouted "oh yes you are!"
That was you? :lol:
MaryB wrote:FYI - The handful of women's screams (as quoted in the 'theopeningacts' post provided by Linda), one of them was for the line "I'll wear a leather mask for you".
Apart from this night, the only other time I really screamed like a 13-year-old was at that show in Colmar, when he had those boxing gloves hanging over his shoulder... Sometimes you just can't control it... :?
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Nico!

So true! Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do! I've wanted to shout that out at several concerts, but in San Jose, that was just the right moment :D Leonard DID smile! I think we all were sort of loose in SJ...both the band, Leonard, and our pretty close knit group in the audience! Several of us knew each other personally before, but I think Las Vegas nurtured us, and San Jose gave birth to us :D :D

OMG...Leonard is fortunate that there are no other US concerts in the near future! I think a loving entity has been formed that will only increase in size...and WE are the entity! ;-) 8) :D
grannypoe

Post by grannypoe »

I have still not processed all my reactions to Thursday's LV concert, perhaps I never will. I want to thank all the forum members who made my one and only Leonard concert such a memorable experience. If there is ever another opportunity to see OUR MAN again, I hope I will be able to share it with you guys--Diana, Arlene, Mary, Lisa and so many others.
Thanks Again
Patricia aka Granny
RegularCliche

Re: LAS VEGAS CONCERT REPORT NOV 12

Post by RegularCliche »

Last edited by RegularCliche on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009: Oakland 2x, St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Jose
2010: Sligo 2x, Lisbon, Caen, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Oakland 2x (again), Las Vegas 2x
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

grannypoe wrote:I have still not processed all my reactions to Thursday's LV concert, perhaps I never will. I want to thank all the forum members who made my one and only Leonard concert such a memorable experience. If there is ever another opportunity to see OUR MAN again, I hope I will be able to share it with you guys--Diana, Arlene, Mary, Lisa and so many others.
Thanks Again
Patricia aka Granny
My sentiments, exactly! (Well, it was my second Leonard concert, but it was still so thrilling to see Our Man! I'm still floating!) Sharing it with such a great bunch of people and making such wonderful new friends elevated the experience to heights I would not have imagined possible! I had the time of my life, and it is very much thanks to all of you who were there with me to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again! I love you guys!

Cheers,
Lisa
PanCogito

Post by PanCogito »

VENI, VIDI, VICI…..
Viva Las Vegas, Viva Leonard, Viva Cesar Leonard!!
It’s all over now, it’s over babe, don’t cry no more........
It’s over, it’s finished, it’s completed, it has…., IT HAS BEEN PAID FOR.
FEELS SO GOOD, SO VERY GOOD to see not only Leonard in concert in Caesars Palace but old and new friends too. Jarkko and Eija – it was great to meet you and thank you for everything you’ve done. Mary – thank you for the stuff from Barcelona and a perfect monkey throw, George – thanks so very much and sorry you didn’t hit big during the concert. Leslie/Mutti - “I’m the little jew who wrote the Bible”, well, not quite - I’m a very little jew who reads the Bible/Torah. Bonnie – I am so happy that you’re happy now. Denise – thanks for sharing Cosmo(s) with me, it was delightful, especially that darkness. Maarten – thanks for the name tags, great stuff, man. LisaLCFan - I’m looking forward to discussing complexities of philosophy in Philosophy Corner. Diana – don’t even think about Moscow, there are many better places to go. Nico - blonde of blonds, are you coming to Krakow? Philippe – thanks for andouille – it was pretty tasty!! I have to admit that I am not really satisfied (“good night darling, I hope you’re satisfied”) ‘cause I needed a “cup of mercy” or two but it was none. It makes me sad, very sad. Anybody knows where can I get it, for mercy’s sake?

Greetings,

Roman
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
freeradical

Post by freeradical »

This is the fist real moment I've had to post since returning from Vegas. I'm sure this goes without saying, but the show was PHENOMENAL--better than I could have possibly imagined. The dinner on the 11th was fabulous. I was so happy to meet so many Forum members. I am very appreciative of all the hard work Diana, et al. put into this function, as well as the nametags and the sheer logistics of pulling this off successfully. The glow sticks were great fun, it put a big smile on my face looking around and playing "spot the Forum member".

As for the performance, simply astounding. John (soulfulnotes) and I were in awe. This was a first Leonard Cohen concert for both of us. I'm not going to say much more about that, I am speechless and apparently feeling writer's block too. I'll just say that after our failed pilgrimage to the Red Rocks show, and subsequent success at making it to Vegas, things worked out the way they were supposed to in the end. I couldn't imagine a better show or a better time.
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

On a dull rainy November evening I am still basking in the glow of my visit to Las Vegas (and San Jose)

I knew from minute I left Dublin for Las Vegas that this trip was going to be a good one. Having snapped up Leslie's (mutti) spare ticket for the show, (eight row) within two hours of her putting it up on the Forum, I still had my spare ticket in hand. A man on the plane asked me if I was hitting the tables in LV, when I told him the reason for my visit he told me he was also a fan of Leonard. He had attended the Liverpool concert in the summer. He praised Leonard for going to Israel. He also found me a buyer, among his friends, for my ticket.

I was returning to my room on day two of my stay when I bumped into Roscoe at the elevator, we have met previously on a few occasions, we had a quick chat. He is such a lovely person, (great new thread Arlene). Just a few minutes later I was checking out the cafe where I had arranged to meet Leslie and Diana later in the day. Roscoe and a friend were seated outside, he asked me if I was following him (only around the world!!). As I walked by I spotted Leonard almost next in line in the cafe, I doubled back and said to Roscoe that I couldn't resist saying hello, he said it should be okay. Encouraged by this I approached the line. It must have been the intensity of my stare, Leonard turned around to face me. I told him I knew it was an terrible place I picked to say hello but I just had to. I shook hands and told him I had come from Ireland for the show. He laughed and said it was a crazy place I had come to, I told him I would not be there if it were not for him. I was under strict instructions to ask for a return visit to Ireland by some of the Irish members, I did make my request. I wished him luck for the shows ahead. I said all this as quickly as I could, given the circumstances. He held my hand whilst we spoke and as I said goodbye he bent his head, lifted by hand and kissed it. I was utterly enchanted. (God I would love the cctv footage from the cafe). I really did walk on air for the whole day after that encounter ...

Really enjoyed meeting with Leslie and Diana, our quick coffee lasted two and a half hours, you two ladies are wonderful. The buffet dinner was a great success, thank you Diana for organising it. We all got our lovely name tags from Maarten, big thank you for that, they work so well. I really enjoyed meeting lots of members, putting faces to forum names, avatars and real names. We had a really nice bartender who was very obliging and took lots of group photos for us. Hope to see these soon. My only regret of the evening is that I forgot I had my camera with me but there were lots of very good photographers on hand. We retired to the bar after dinner. Bob Metzger joined us for a while, pleasure to meet him again too.

Highlights of the concert evening for me were Albert flying in to join me on Thursday just before the show. The meet and greet with Roscoe, Rafael and Dino in attendance. Roscoe signing my copy of his cd. Sitting with the ladies of the Forum. Hearing Leonard's story before he sang Chelsea Hotel. Meeting the man who bought my spare ticket at the interval who told me he was really enjoying the show. Being one of the screamers during I'm Your Man. Holding a glow light for Suzanne (thanks Leslie). Hearing the two new songs back to back, I think they really showcase Leonard's voice and his guitar playing. Hearing the extra verse in Thousand Kisses Deep, I haven't hear that since the last Dublin concert, lovely. Leonard thanking the members of the Forum at the end of the night.

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Marie,

What a stunningly beautiful recollection of your LV experience.

Your are always so poised in your encounters. And to think - I was priviledged to touch the hand that Leonard Cohen KISSED!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”