CONCERT REPORT: Nashville, November 5

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
CinCin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Nashville, November 5

Post by CinCin »

Ending to Famous Blue Raincoat.
In Nashville, Leonard changed the end of this, one of his most popular and mysterious songs, from "Sincerely, L. Cohen," to "Sincerely, a friend." I think this did at least two things: one, it is Leonard's way of giving the song away, of giving it life for other singers with his blessing. Second, it perhaps resolves some of the turmoil that gave birth to the song. He is no longer either lover or killer, but a friend.
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

CinCin wrote:Ending to Famous Blue Raincoat.
In Nashville, Leonard changed the end of this, one of his most popular and mysterious songs, from "Sincerely, L. Cohen," to "Sincerely, a friend." I think this did at least two things: one, it is Leonard's way of giving the song away, of giving it life for other singers with his blessing. Second, it perhaps resolves some of the turmoil that gave birth to the song. He is no longer either lover or killer, but a friend.
Interesting interpretation, thanks for sharing.
Personally, I liked hearing "Sincerely, L. Cohen" in the earlier concerts and was a tad disappointed to hear "a friend" in Durham.
(Needless to say these are Leonard's words and he can do as he pleases with them. Also, this ending is not new; Leonard has used it in the adaptation that he created for Jennifer Warnes more than twenty years ago)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene,

Yesterday I tried the link to your photos and it did not work. Fortunately I tried again today and I am so happy I did! I was blown away. This is absolutely amazing. This reminds me of the photostreams of DrHGuy and Willy & Wijbe.

The song is one of my favorites (who says DOALM doesn't have gems?) and so apropos for the Nashville photos. I particularly liked the juxtaposition of the lyrics and photo at 2:00. And you seem 'tickled pink' in your photo with Roscoe. Again, connecting names to faces is such a treat.

To tell the truth, I watched it three times, I was so enamored. I know I will go back to it from time to time because of the pure enjoyment factor it gave me. Thank you so very much for this high caliber video! And you did this while on your road tour - amazing!

Everyone needs to check it out. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf9_sRIYrGk

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

MaryB wrote:Arlene,

Yesterday I tried the link to your photos and it did not work. Fortunately I tried again today and I am so happy I did! I was blown away. This is absolutely amazing. This reminds me of the photostreams of DrHGuy and Willy & Wijbe.
Ah, you've uncovered my deep dark secret. A while ago, I emailed the wonderful, generous technowizard of bloggers, Dr Heck (Dr Allan Showalter) for help to follow the Ramat Gan Israel concert in real time. Everyone on the forum must know by now how psyched I was that LC was performing again in Israel. Dr Heck taught me how to search and follow and post the live tweets, which I did for the first time on this Forum in the Ramat Gan thread.

Then he sent me some tips and suggestions to improve my stuff. He sure writes a heck of a lot better instructions than those flimsy things called manuals.

I am actually glad you spotted his tutelage. He is sure one heck of a nice guy.

Thanks for your kind comments.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
scorp

Cohen in Nashville last week.

Post by scorp »

Just to say there are some excellent clips from that on youtube, with crisp, clear sound. And 'Darkness', among others.
astranger

Post by astranger »

has a recording of this show surfaced?
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Bridger 15

I thank for the link to Darkness.
I thank too slideshow and...I thank you for everyone too excellent video !

warm greetings from Poland, friends :D
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
trish

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Nashville TPAC, Nov 5

Post by trish »

:D
bridger15 wrote:More of my videos

I Tried to Leave You
At 5.20, Raphael starts his solo and fails to catch one of his sticks. Roscoe Beck presents him with my long stem rose that LC had placed on the drum riser earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF-47VA_Bzo
Ha ha, brilliant Roscoe! I love it! What great footage.. I really enjoyed, thanks :)
MusicCityGypsy

Post by MusicCityGypsy »

Thought you all might like to see this...via TPAC's facebook they posted this along with other people who have played there and "signed their guest book" neat.
Attachments
leonard tpac.jpg
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

MusicCityGypsy wrote:Thought you all might like to see this...via TPAC's facebook they posted this along with other people who have played there and "signed their guest book" neat.
FABULOUS! It's so nice to see the Canadian spelling of honour with a "u". Ken(adian) chastised me at the Nashville meet-up for "selling out" by droping my "u's" now that I am living in L.A

Thanks for posting this, Cara.
---Arlene

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's beautiful, Cara.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Kenadian

Post by Kenadian »

bridger15 wrote:
MusicCityGypsy wrote:Thought you all might like to see this...via TPAC's facebook they posted this along with other people who have played there and "signed their guest book" neat.
FABULOUS! It's so nice to see the Canadian spelling of honour with a "u". Ken(adian) chastised me at the Nashville meet-up for "selling out" by droping my "u's" now that I am living in L.A

Thanks for posting this, Cara.
---Arlene
Hehehe...It is the 'u' that makes us 'u'nique!

Now if we can figure out the program/programme!

Cheers,
Ken(adian) U eh?
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.
martbook

Post by martbook »

As a Dutch-Canadian now living in the US, I must admit I drop my "u's" and say "zee" instead of "zed".

But I still think that watching the sport of Curling on television is exciting. That's the true measure of someone is Canadian.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

martbook wrote:As a Dutch-Canadian now living in the US, I must admit I drop my "u's" and say "zee" instead of "zed".

But I still think that watching the sport of Curling on television is exciting. That's the true measure of someone is Canadian.
This is not the thread for this, but I vehemently disagree, so I have to respond. No way. It is H O C K E Y. The CBC produced a 10 part documentary called Hockey: A People's History.
http://www.cbc.ca/hockeyhistory/about.html
More than just the story of a sport, it is a story of a people, serving as a unique lens through which one can view Canada’s social history. Witness the coming of age of a nation, and the remarkable journey of a sport that has woven itself into our cultural language and fabric.
If you would like to start a separate thread about this, I would love to participate, but not until after this leg of the tour is over. :(

Kenadian

Post by Kenadian »

bridger15 wrote:This is not the thread for this, but I vehemently disagree, so I have to respond. No way. It is H O C K E Y. The CBC produced a 10 part documentary called Hockey: A People's History.
If you would like to start a separate thread about this, I would love to participate, but not until after this leg of the tour is over. :(
Ah, but they have H O C K E Y in Nashville so it fits right in.

Cheers,
Ken(Hockeyian)
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”