CONCERT REPORT: Durham, NC, November 3

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
kirkesque

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Durham, NC, November 3

Post by kirkesque »

PortMerch wrote:I will not inarticulately attempt to tell you all how great last night was. This forum is (deservedly) an L.C. lovefest, and I echo all the glowing reviews. Amazing.

We were 2nd row center....and were able to get a copy of the setlist from stage. It is scanned and posted in the setlist forum if interested.

btw.... glow sticks? really? ugh.

That glow stick lady was two seats over from me. The glow sticks were probably worse for you—being behind her—but I didn't like being grabbed when she was attempting to get everyone to dance with her wine-drunk-self.

I was going to stick around to get a setlist, but didn't. :(
HopeIt'sYourWill

Post by HopeIt'sYourWill »

That glow stick lady was two seats over from me. The glow sticks were probably worse for you—being behind her—but I didn't like being grabbed when she was attempting to get everyone to dance with her wine-drunk-self.

I was going to stick around to get a setlist, but didn't. :(

It's a shame Glow Stick Lady was right in the front row. Why didn't security take those glow sticks and return them to RDU (Raleigh/Durham International Airport)?? She even had the nerve to set them right on the stage when her arms got tired of guiding the imaginary aircraft to the orchestra runway. AFTER the concert I was concerned that she might have embarassed Leonard by trying to force people to stand when SHE felt it appropriate, rather than when they were moved to do so by his incredible performance. Her desire to direct the audience to it's feet probably had the reverse effect, as no one would encourage her behavior by actually doing what she wanted. I mean how could Leonard possibly have missed her swinging those glow sticks right in front of him? DURING the concert I refused to be distracted by anything, and Leonard had no problem bringing me to my feet time and time again. Imagine that! And all without Glow Stick Lady's help.
Did anyone get to meet band members during the 6:30 - 7:00 PM time slot that was supposed to be early entry for pre-sale ticket holders? We asked about it and a DPAC employee went to check for us. When he returned we were told there was no meet and greet with band members planned. The doors were open to everyone at 6:30, so we were a little confused as to what happened to the special time that was supposed to be set aside for us.
Not that ANY of this mattered. We were in the third row, right smack in the center, and Leonard stood right in front of us all evening! It was incredible. We had come to see Leonard Cohen and the man does not disappoint!
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

For what it's worth, I noticed one woman frenetically waving two red or red-orange glow sticks at the Chicago Rosemont Theatre concert last week. I can't decide which would be sadder - if it's an amazing, albeit tragic coincidence that similar phenomena took place at both concerts or if it's the same glow stick-wielding individual who appeared at both shows (and could turn up at a future venue to glow again)
eyewall

Post by eyewall »

I was fortunate enough to be at this show in the Orchestra on right side (stage left). I loved every moment of this experience and I was thankful for it. Furthermore anyone know of any recordings that might be out there of it? It was clearly much better then the London DVD in my opinion between his voice and the tightness of the band. Finally I am sorry to those who were around glowstick lady although your seats were fantastic, not there is a bad seat in that place.
astranger

Post by astranger »

any word on any other songs being recorded besides the new one?
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
janedw

Post by janedw »

astranger wrote:any word on any other songs being recorded besides the new one?
it's available in .flac format via bit torrent at DIME (membership required). i don't know if it's appropriate to post the info here or not. if not, i hope that a mod will take appropriate action.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=274857

if you want it distributed in some other fashion, let me know. sorry if i'm committing an offensive thread hijack.
astranger

Post by astranger »

janedw wrote:
it's available in .flac format via bit torrent at DIME (membership required). i don't know if it's appropriate to post the info here or not. if not, i hope that a mod will take appropriate action.

if you want it distributed in some other fashion, let me know. sorry if i'm committing an offensive thread hijack.
Sweet!! Thanks! I never actually expected a bootleg of this. I'm about to freak out! :razz:
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
kirkesque

Post by kirkesque »

janedw wrote:

Thank you very much! I hope this will be seeded soon. :)
nomadic

Post by nomadic »

pleaaaase! :)

janedw

Post by janedw »

janedw wrote:

ok, it's perking along nicely on DIME, so i've also got it up on Hunger City. HC is also members only, but it's easier to join.

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=7585
eyewall

Post by eyewall »

NICE! Thank you :)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

nomadic wrote:pleaaaase! :)

Ahahahaha! Go Roscoe. "Pleeeeeeeeeese." TM Roscoe Beck.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

nomadic - LOVE IT!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
kirkesque

Post by kirkesque »

janedw wrote:
janedw wrote:

ok, it's perking along nicely on DIME, so i've also got it up on Hunger City. HC is also members only, but it's easier to join.

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=7585

Great recording. Sometimes the low end gets lost in this sort of recording, but it sounds quite well balanced. Thank you so very much. :)

You can't even hear the glow sticks... ;)
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

What a night, an amazing performance that once again, I cannot find the words to describe properly.
I love the new arrangements, every time I think this band is so tight it couldn't possibly get better they prove me wrong...
Thank you janedw for the bootleg recording, I will treasure it. I'm almost sure that I can hear myself cheering in parts of it, where were you seated? (Also, it will not stop me from buying every new official recording that Leonard makes available so, no guilt :D)
nomadic: It was great to meet you, I wish circumstances would have allowed more time for us to chat, hope to see you again in another concert.

Here are a couple of photos from the concert, and one of me with Dino Soldo in Durham, just because Dino is awesome 8)
Tower of Song
Tower of Song
IMG_2489.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”