CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

Post by bridger15 »

Joe Way wrote: I loved the new "Blues" song. The image of tearing off the blindfold and letting the prisoner live keeps coming back to me.
When I heard him sing that on Albert's video, it brought to mind one of LC's favorite poets, Frederico Garcia Lorca.
Federíco Garcia Lorca was born in the south of Spain (Andalusia) in 1898 and soon became the region's most famous artist. A poet, playwright, artist, musician and lecturer, he wrote groundbreaking plays such as 'Blood Wedding' and 'Yerma'. His support of the Spanish Republic in the 1930s led to his execution in 1936.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

Misty Marie wrote:I might have a few words wrong here or there, but basically, this is it ... feel free to edit or correct!

Feels so good baby not to love you like I did
Feels so good not to love you like I did
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this prisoner live.
[Repeat]
Feels so good baby just to wake up in the morning by myself
Cup of coffee in the kitchen - fire up a little danger to my health
It's like the same old broken heart but it feels like it belongs to someone else.
[Repeat]
Feels so good baby to see you smiling back at me
It's so good baby not to be the VIP
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this man go free
[Repeat]
Feels so good - I took a while, but it just did
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this prisoner live
[Repeat]

Misty
Thank you very very much Misty Marie. You're very kind to all of us who don't understand English at first hearing. Your suggested lyrics are perfect. Not sure though if there is not a added word just before this "VIP" expression. Anyway, I know now that I will have to change my guess for this song final title from "You're So Good Baby" to " Feels So Good Baby". Those damned old French-Canadian ears can sometimes play very bad tricks on you. Thanks Marie.
Davido

Post by Davido »

Nice one, Marie - and jglBB is right - the line is:
It's so good baby not to be each other's VIP
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Thanks you so much, Albert, for capturing this exciting moment. I have played the song over and over, it is really wonderful. Leonard looked very happy at the end of the song, so hopefully he thought it went well and will keep playing it at the remaining concerts.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Misty Marie wrote:I might have a few words wrong here or there, but basically, this is it ... feel free to edit or correct!

Feels so good baby not to love you like I did
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this prisoner live.
[Repeat]
Feels so good baby just to wake up in the morning by myself
Cup of coffee in the kitchen - fire up a little danger to my health
It's like the same old broken heart but it feels like it belongs to someone else.
[Repeat]
Feels so good baby to see you smiling back at me
It's so good baby not to be the VIP
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this man go free
[Repeat]
Feels so good - I took a while, but it just did
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this prisoner live
[Repeat]

Misty

You are loved, Misty Marie ! I thank ! :D

jeremek
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
astranger

Post by astranger »

Where did this new song appear in the set?
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

romualdinho - Thank you for the stunning photos!

Misty Marie - your posting of the lyrics to the new song are very much appreciated - thank you!

Joe Way - as usual you have posted a well thought out, beautiful, erudite review of the show - I really enjoyed it!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some video from Chicago -

From "doriddddd" on YouTube -

I'm Your Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSHLjOS2_I

Leonard Cohen - Good Night - Chicago 10/29/09 (short clip of the end of "I Tried To Leave You)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4y-D40i ... re=channel

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TvicOR3E40
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Misty Marie,

Thanks also from me for getting the lyrics so perfectly! How many times did you have to watch the video? :D This "nameless" song is so beautiful...love the lyrics and love the melody!
remote1

Post by remote1 »

ladydi wrote:This "nameless" song is so beautiful...love the lyrics and love the melody!
It's not a very happy song, though, in fact it's quite sad... a break-up song... :(
Who do you think it is for?
"We are so lightly here"
sue7

Post by sue7 »

remote1 wrote:
ladydi wrote:This "nameless" song is so beautiful...love the lyrics and love the melody!
It's not a very happy song, though, in fact it's quite sad... a break-up song... :(
Who do you think it is for?
That's really interesting, remote1, that you interpret it as a sad, break-up song. I'm not sure I would call it happy, because it seems more complicated than that emotionally. But I thought that he was celebrating a new phase in his life, when he felt free of many things that had kept him prisoner (hence the blindfold/prisoner/freedom/letting live imagery). Yes, there is a break-up there, but I found the sense of new possibility quite moving.
I'll have to listen and look at it again.
Sue
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Hi there Sue7

Well, I think it is sad because it is yet again about a failed relationship, which felt to the singer/poet like a prison, a dark place. The break-up is a liberation and that is positive, but overall it is not a song that I would have expected from LC at this stage. But there again perhaps it is not about him... doesn't have to be autobiographical... ;-)

Remote1
"We are so lightly here"
sue7

Post by sue7 »

remote1 wrote:Hi there Sue7

Well, I think it is sad because it is yet again about a failed relationship, which felt to the singer/poet like a prison, a dark place. The break-up is a liberation and that is positive, but overall it is not a song that I would have expected from LC at this stage. But there again perhaps it is not about him... doesn't have to be autobiographical... ;-)

Remote1
Hi Remote1, What you say is interesting, and I think that we probably both agree as to what the song is about: it's just that we feel differently about it.
I'll listen to it in a different way next time, thanks. :)
Sue
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

When I first heard the lyrics, what came to mind was what Leonard said in 2006 the NRK Montreal interview where he talks about love and being in the presence of someone who forgives you - not operating in the mechanisms of blame and shame and guilt and repentance. And his good fortune and relief of being in the presence of people who habitually operate free of those other mechanisms - and how it is relaxing. In other words, leaving behind the torture and misery that can come with those mechanisms (blame, shame, guilt and repentance). In other words - being happy.

Here is the video - and he talks about this at the beginning -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgkPNsmle5A
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Linda expressed Leonard's feelings very well. He has in the past said that every song he has written has been for a woman, and I have no doubt that this one was also. However, it may not be honing in on a current relationship (I think someone on youtube mentioned Anjani) but perhaps a throwback to a previous relationship. Leonard loves deeply and needs deeply, but he always must have that sense of freedom.

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”