San Jose meet-up November 13th - details of locations

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mollydog

San Jose meet-up November 13th - details of locations

Post by Mollydog »

Here are the details for the meet up on November 13th. Don’t worry if you haven’t signed up. Just show up - the more the merrier!

Dinner at the Hedley Lounge, Hotel De Anza (http://www.hoteldeanza.com/)
I talked to the catering manager (Jan) at the Hotel De Anza and she said that the best plan is for the first person who arrives to reserve an area for the rest of us (probably about 25 people). She said that when you go into the Hedley Lounge there is a big area to the right with couches and tables that would be suitable for us. We can order food individually once we arrive. She assured me that the service would be fast as I explained that a lot of us need to go and pick up our tickets at 6:00. I’ll try and get there about 4:00 but if anyone staying at the De Anza is there earlier then so much the better (I’m staying at the Fairmont).

After concert party at the Lobby Lounge, Fairmont Hotel (http://www.fairmont.com/sanjose)
I confirmed with the manager (Mike) at the Fairmont Hotel that the Lobby Lounge will be open until 1:30. I told him that we may not arrive until about 11:45 as Leonard’s concert won't finish until after 11:00. When I arrive at the hotel in the afternoon I’ll remind them again that we are coming.

Name tags
Maarten will be at the dinner and at the early entrance for the concert, so those of you that are not going to Las Vegas will be able to pick up your wonderful name tags and lanyards from him at one of those locations. Just a reminder that there is a small charge of $3, so keep some change handy to give to Maarten!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Mary

*******************************************************************************************************

The big day is getting near so I thought I would start this thread so that we can start thinking about a meet up. I’m not sure if it will be possible before the concert as a lot of us will be picking up the will call tickets. However, it would be great to meet up afterwards. Personally speaking, I know that I will be a total emotional wreck and will need the collective shoulder of my Forum friends to cry on :( .

Any thoughts on this? Do any native San Joseites (not sure if that is the correct terminology :D ) have any suggestions?

Mary
Edit - Please either PM me or post in this thread whether you are coming to the dinner and/or the after concert party. For those of you already listed below please verify the information and send me the missing information (marked in red).

1. Mary (mollydog) - dinner and after concert party
2. Esther (mnkyface) - dinner and after concert party
3. Nico (Actually) - dinner and after concert party
4. Diana (ladydi) - dinner and after concert party
5, 6. Mary (MaryB) & George - dinner and after concert party
7. Lizzy (lizzytsh) - dinner and after concert party (yay Lizzy!)
8. Leslie (mutti) - dinner and after concert party
9. Bonnie (bkmccalla) - dinner and after concert party
10. Philippe (Bonnie's friend) - dinner and after concert party
11. Tony (Bill's Bar) - dinner and after concert party
12. Arlene (bridger15) - dinner and after concert party
13. Jimmy (POZEST) - dinner and after concert party
14. Mirka - dinner and after concert party
15, 16. Sheila (imaginary friend) & Steve - after concert party
17, 18. Aileen & Dave (Sheila's friends) - after concert party (maybe)
19. 20. Jon (j6ppc) & Jon's wife - dinner and after concert party
21. 22. Marsha (friscogrl) & Sarah - dinner
23. Vlasta (Vlastik) - dinner and after concert party
24. Maarten - dinner and after concert party
25. Ros (rpan) - dinner?
26. 27. Wendy (Mabeanie1) & Tony (maybe) - after concert party
28. Marie (IrishMar) - after concert party
29. Michael (MichaelLawlor) - dinner and after concert party
30. Conny - after concert party
31. 32. 33. Anna Ravenscroft (annaraven), Alex Martelli and Anna's daughter Inanna Ravenscroft - dinner
34. 35. Birgit (tigrib) & Sylvia (maybe) - after concert party
36. Michael (casterbridgecohen) - dinner and after concert party
37. 38. CinCin & Barb - dinner and after concert party
39. Judy (skittlebeans) - dinner
40. Sharon (sharon.e) - dinner and after concert party

So far we have 30 people for dinner and 29 for the after concert party.
Last edited by Mollydog on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 am, edited 30 times in total.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Actually

Re: San Jose meet-up

Post by Actually »

Count me in - for whatever will happen :lol:
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

HI Mary! I was just thinking about this too... I live about 7o miles away and will be getting there pretty early in the day, so I would be happy to situate myself somewhere where people could come by for a meal or drink...maybe from 3-6. (I believe our will call/early entrance time is 6:30?) I don't know the area that well though. A friend told me there is an Olde Spaghetti Factory that is walking distance from the HP...not the greatest Italian food but thay may have room for seating a large number of people...

Also, for the same reason you mention (emotional wreckage), I would love to go out after the show with forum members. Don't know what's open that late though...unless we go over to San Francisco.

Esther
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by mutti »

If anyone wants to meet for a light early dinner I am in!
If we have to be at will call at 6 maybe we could meet somewhere.
I have no idea where but I know across from the Fairmont there are lots of cafes...
any ideas of time and place?

I am up for something after the show too but again have no idea of the area other than near the Fairmont which is 1 mile from the show.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Mutti Leslie 8) :lol: 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mutti

Post by mutti »

As a few of us are not arriving in San Jose until early afternoon I would be available to meet up at 4...
thanks
Mutti
Leslie 8) :lol: 8)
1988 Vancouver
bkmccalla

Post by bkmccalla »

hey, mary, esther, mutti, and actually.

count me and philippe in for before and after.

the emotional wreckage is going to be severe, so an after party is going to be very important for most, if not all, of us. but i think we will have to have it in san jose as opposed to the city, because many people are staying over in san jose, me and philippe included.

i don't know san jose at all either, so we'll have to wait and hear from someone who does.

yikes, two weeks from thursday for vegas! how did that happen???
1970, 1983, 1988, 1993/Lyon July 9/Bruges July 10/Amsterdam July 12/Lisbon July 19/Nice July 22/Lucca July 27/Rome July 28/Athens July 30/Beacon February 19/Oakland April 13, 14, 15/Kingston May 22/London May 24/Ottawa May 25, 26/Red Rocks June 4/Las Vegas November 12/San Jose November 13/Las Vegas December 2011 x2/San Jose November 2012/Oakland March 2, 3 2013...i've obviously lost my mind...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Seems we are all at a loss for knowing the San Jose area! Looks like mnkyface will be the first in the area and maybe the Spaghetti place might be an idea. I'm staying at the de Anza which is close to the venue, but seem to remember reading somewhere that a little to the east (perhaps around the area of the Fairmont) there is an area of restaurants, bistros and bars.

I'm also up for a meetup after the concert...but I don't think it will be as sad as we thought. It's merely the closing concert of the 2008-2009 World Tour. 2010 is not far away!! :D But it's always comforting to sort of decelerate with friends!

Not long now! In fact, the time is rushing by too quickly.....sigh.

Diana
mutti

Post by mutti »

Hi
I am staying at the Fairmont and know there are bars there and heard there are lots of cafes right across the street.
Hopefully someone will know them or we can look them up and pick a place..
Mutti :lol:
can hardly wait!
1988 Vancouver
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

Since so many are staying at the DeAnza, I looked up their website http://www.hoteldeanza.com/entertainment.asp and there are a number of restaurants and lounges right on site there - maybe someone could make a quick call and see what might be available for a group our size (I'm in with 4 total for anything before).

Check out the food menu for the Hedley Club lounge ... maybe they would set up a pizza buffet and we could just have a per person charge (and then people could just buy their own drinks)?

Also ... I was wondering ... if we got a bouquet of long-stemmed roses (like a dozen) is anyone close enough to the stage to get them up there at the end of the concert?
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Hello,

Please count 2 more in for after-party in SJ – me and Steve (hub). I'll keep checking this thread. I kinda like the idea of the de Anza if they can accommodate a group...

Sheila
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Drinks after the concert - YEAH! Could be last minute decision, around the Fairmont sounds good for the 'Walking Cohen Troop'. Think we'll easily find a place.

Misty Marie - beautiful idea. In Barcelona (looks like SJ will be similar in setup with a barrier between the stage and seating), people threw individual roses on stage at the end of the concert. If you or someone finds and buys the roses, I'm sure we will all gladly chip in for them.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Is the Anza within walking distance of the HP?
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by MaryB »

Arena, Anza, Fairmont hotels are all withing walking of venue. I favor after in Fairmont area. More choices and so much more casual - probably no need to make arrangements just for drinks.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

If you or someone finds and buys the roses, I'm sure we will all gladly chip in for them.
Mary,

Hubby and I are staying with friends (who are coming to the concert with us) who live in San Jose, and I'm sure (after recently having done two weddings) they could lead us to a dozen roses. The logistics of having them there with no water for three hours, though, bothers me a bit. I wonder if the HP itself could store them for us somewhere or if maybe we could get some help from one of the band members? Or maybe we should get them in a vase complete with stuffed monkey? [Just thinking out loud here.] I know there won't be a problem getting them at some point on Friday if we want to do that.

I also called the DeAnza Hotel and chatted with a gentleman there named Steven Harder, who told me if we're interested, they can set something up for us (there are different rates for different private rooms) or they can set up a pizza bar for us in the lounge, but they won't close the lounge for other people on a concert night. They asked how many people - perhaps we should get a count in another thread - I told them 50-60 (based on LV count for dinner) but I told him I really had no idea at this point. Anyway, if anyone wants to follow up, Steven's direct number is 408-494-4736. The DeAnza Hotel is right next door to the HP - it's the closest hotel.

Might be something to think about, anyway.

Grace
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
mutti

Post by mutti »

I'm open to anywhere though I like Mary's idea of being near the Fairmont...
I am thinking of early dinner/drinks something light and casual.
It will be fun to meet people. I know that after 2 late nights in Las Vegas I may need to nap or go for a swim so I am well rested for the concert.
Don't get into town until around 2.
I will want to get something to eat before being there at 6
so just let me know where and I will show up.
Thanks
Mutti (Leslie) 8) :lol: 8)
who knows with Mary's luck what will happen! especially after the show...
1988 Vancouver

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”