CONCERT REPORT: NYC Madison Square Garden, October 23

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: NYC Madison Square Garden, October 23

Post by lizzytysh »

Just for the record, Damfino [and Diana], I LOVE Whither Thou Goest at the end. It signals, with the entire ensemble out there, that this truly is the end of the night for them and for us. For me, as well, it's Leonard saying, "You appreciate me... I will come to you. You keep appreciating me... I will goest there, too." It also seems to me that the ensemble, with everyone on stage, is singing to each other and reenforcing how this year-and-a-half has gone... whither Leonard goest, they will go.

For me, the benedictions are essential. They are that heart-wrapping ending to the night. In Ft. Lauderdale, they were interrupted by a man yelling "Thank you, Leonard Cohen." One preceded it and one followed it. In Tampa, they seemed to be eliminated altogether. I LOVE how they give a blessing to the night and to all of us going out into it. Especially dear to my heart is the one that says "And if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude." Leonard is truly a Cohen and hearing him manifest himself in this way is deeply gratifying and deeply heartwarming. I hope he'll resume with his benedictions. There are far more who love them than there are those few who might complain when they remain essentially the same. They mean so much.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
astranger

Post by astranger »

You nailed it on the head Lizzy; I remember hearing the blessing from Philly and I nearly broke down in tears. The most genuine and warm sense of deep, gracious appreciation. He has truly located the center of the heart that keeps the heart beating and keeps all our hearts beating together. I can't wait to experience this in Durham; the first concert I'm sure to cry multiple times. I can't believe I have the opportunity.
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Jake. I appreciate your agreement.

For me, also, Whither Thou Goest is a segue for acceptance, a transitional adjustment time for letting go of the night with Leonard. It's the positive 'denouement' that leads us into the four blessings... and is not in the least anti-climactic.

A friend of mine wrote this to me and I share it with her permission. These are the words of someone not inclined to complain. I'm that way, too... yet, when something means so much, is it the same as complaining... to mention it? Leonard's words mean so much to so many.
It was truly a lovely event, and I wished that you had been there. The concert was extraordinary. I did miss Whither thou goest at the end and the special blessings: found myself thinking, is that really it?? (Whither thou goest has always had a very special personal meaning for me, because I am a convert to Judaism, and those verses were the verses I read in synagogue the day I converted. It feels as though they really do reflect a piece of my life. The first time I heard it was at the Beacon: I had read about this song I was unfamiliar with, but as they began singing it, the meaning of the words began to penetrate and I began to weep.)
Having said that, it didn't matter, because it was truly a wonderful concert: aren't they all?

Leonard seemed so incredibly happy last night: just happy, light, celebratory. Of course he was all the other things he is as well, but the happiness seemed so profound last night.
I would love to see both return. They wrap the night in kindness and love.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video from "alkmrt" on Youtube

So Long Marianne -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI4BT807K-Y
CarolineM

Post by CarolineM »

I thought I would not be able to go (and I almost sold my ticket), but at the last minute I decided that it was worth getting broke for, and I went to NYC.
I'm glad the concert started only at 8:15pm, because the bus from Montreal arrived late and I arrived at the MSG just at 8:00 :?

The show was incredible! :) I had very good memories from the 2 other shows I went to (Ottawa in may) but this one was even better! I was in awe during the whole show. :)
I agree, that version of I'm your man was perfect, and Hallelujah almost made me cry.
and OMG, he sang The Gipsy Wife!!!! :) I love all the others, but at the other shows that was the one song I was hoping he would play, and last night he did it :) (I would also have loved to hear Avalanche, but the concert was fantastic even without that song).
Another highlight for me was So long Marianne. I love that song, and he sang it with such passion it was amazing. :o

I filmed a lot during the show, I'm uploading my videos on youtube (I filmed almost all the songs, but they're not all complete, in total I think I have around 1 hour of videos)
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 7D30B07001

I also have a few pics on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27845807@N ... 652181530/
Ottawa - May 25, 2009 / Ottawa - May 26, 2009 / NYC - October 23, 2009
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

It was a great concert, with a great start and a great ending. LC is always making slight adjustments, just being himself, as all others are already taken.
crystal

Post by crystal »

For me "Whither thou goest" means also very much. Lizzy perfectly described it when she said "a transitional adjustment time for letting go of the night". For me it made the ending always easier.
Of course if I had the chance to see one more concert I would gladly go with or without it.
Have a good sunday, Christel
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Astranger... I apparently didn't nail it quite on the head [or maybe you just increased the size of the head] as you've added beautifully to what I said, so you got the perimeter surfaces that I didn't. Thanks! And, yes... Christel... and the night includes the others, though I tend to forever credit Leonard, as none would be with us there were it not for him [though they will, as some of us continue in following their own, separate careers... I'm glad that at least Sharon and Dino are primarily U.S.-based. Javier... I've never ever even been to Spain :? ... and, retiring soon, I don't know if or when I will. So I must enjoy everyone as much as I can now.

Someone noted to me privately that it may have seemed that I was including Damfino and, especially, Diana in such a way as to suggest I was disagreeing with what they've said. Oh, how I know they both LOVE Whither Thou Goest. I've been with Diana in person to know that oh so well :D . I was thinking that she had commented on it here, but perhaps the strength of memory of her feelings being the same as mine just carried me right past what I had thought I read. Haha. It's been known to happen ;-) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
dan l

Post by dan l »

Hi:
I'm new to board, sorry it took so long. My mini review of Sunrise Oct 17 is below under dan lamont. A few comments: Goldstein, he did not play 'Democracy is coming . . " at Sunrise, FL, the 1st stop of North Am 2.

The entusiasm at the garden crowd must have been awesome, yet I'm wondering if it means a shorter concert. They all seem to go 3:10 to 3:15. So if there were really 3 five minute standing ovations, did that result in a few dropped songs, or even one. He played 25 in Sunrise, our audience appreciative yes, but venue appeared well less than 1/2 sold (see my comments below, this appeared first in New Times, you can search it for the complete reviews. I'd really like to see someone post the complete MSG set list, perhaps this is elsewhere on site, I'll look further. Did he play 25 songs? It's a shame to think that by clapping louder and longer, the result might be one less song, something to consider. I'll post Sunrise set soon, would this be the place?

I agree this tour now the best. I saw the show Boston Wang night 2 in May, this one is better. I saw Carnegie Hall May 1985, this one far better. Now it's on to Kansas City for the show on my birthday. Goldy, maybe I'll see you there.
Dan
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Leonard Cohen
Saturday, October 17, 2009
BankAtlantic Center, Sunrise

Posted On: Tuesday, Oct. 20 2009 @ 11:41PM
dan lamont says:

This was a great performance. Yes, the venue lacked. The Fillmore, PAC, Gusman/Olympia all would have made for more intimacy. Does anyone know the last time LC played South Florida? I've been a devotee since 1977, do not recall one show here. I imagine his management was aware this and figured he would be a big draw to warrant the seats at BAC. I told my wife, 'he's gonna come in here, see all these empty seats, and not have the enthusiasm he would have for a more packed, smaller venue.' Was I ever wrong: the show Sat night was even better than when I saw him at in May at a sold out intimate Wang theatre of 3-4,000. Starting North America 2, fresh back from Europe, he was full of energy. I wrote down 25 titles. That's a lot of songs. How many times do you attend a 3 hour show, and wish for more? He covered all the significant songs except Chelsea Hotel.

Nice comment Lou: If It Be Your Will was absolutely stunning.

I've seen all the big acts, most of the folkies too, and LC tops them all. What is it that is so mesmerizing about his shows? I guess it's the sheer joy of being able to witness something you never thought would happen in your life - the man standing up there singing those songs that you spun around a needle so many times.

Thank you Leonard for coming our way.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/archive ... hen_p.html
I was not at the MSG concert. But this blogster's comments tickled me.
I am a bubbie and I do belong to AARP and Leonard Cohen at 75 is still a turn on singing about naked ladies.
OCTOBER 25, 2009
Leonard Cohen Played at MSG on Friday Night

And it was spectacular. Songs like "Bird on a Wire," "Suzanne" and "Everybody Knows" percolated throughout Madison Square Garden for several hours, as Cohen demonstrated that you can still rock out with hat head and sing about naked ladies at age 75. The crowd was composed of about 3/4 people over the age of 50, and to be honest, hanging out with the bubbies was a welcomed alternative to the madness of CMJ that was going on downtown.

Far too many aging performers make their later tours all about huge commercial production standards and vivid on-stage distractions (see: The Rolling Stones, U2), but Cohen's set is still tacked to the essence of his music and poetry. The biggest diversions on Friday were manifested by his appreciative interactions with his backup singers and musicians, and the occasional wild outburst by one of the AARP members in the crowd.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

Dan L--definitely the applause did NOT cut the concert short. He began about 8:15, ended after 11:30 p.m., it was the same program as the previous night in Philly.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Just wanted to mention that during Everybody Knows, when Leonard sang the line "from the bloody cross on top of Calvary. . .", he did the hand sing that we see in many paintings of Jesus, with 3 fingers pointing up and 2 fingers pointing down. I'm sorry I couldn't get my camera to work without the flash, and didn't want to disturb the performers by having the flash on. It would have made a perfect photo. The hand sign can be interpreted various ways, and I will leave each to his/her own take on it. Of course it connects with that part of the song, but to me it also signifies a kind of acknowledgment of his role as High Priest, Magician (as in Tarot), Spiritual Guide, etc.

So, although he didn't do the blessings at the end (which I do miss), in my perspective he did bless us. But he always blesses us with his presence and his art. We are so fortunate to have such a gifted artist and teacher on earth with us for such a long time.

The concert was spectacular as always. At the end of the first set, all I could say was oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, wow, wow, wow. . . At the end of the show, all I could do was sob. . .
KarenK

Post by KarenK »

Lady Di, my BFF, gave me an early Christmas present: the MSG concert........and NOW.......I understand!!!

Meeting members of the Forum from all over the US, Canada, UK and Ireland at the happening at the Chelsea Hotel was a delightful prelude. Thank you all for sharing so much with me.

No words can describe the magic, wonder and power of the music. It has to be experienced and felt by one's heart.

So.........here I am............first concert.........first post...........the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you, Diana, members of the Forum and LC. May the music continue in all of our hearts all over the world. Shalom. Karen
remote1

Post by remote1 »

holydove wrote:Just wanted to mention that during Everybody Knows, when Leonard sang the line "from the bloody cross on top of Calvary. . .", he did the hand sing that we see in many paintings of Jesus, with 3 fingers pointing up and 2 fingers pointing down. I'm sorry I couldn't get my camera to work without the flash, and didn't want to disturb the performers by having the flash on. It would have made a perfect photo.
Just to say that it is captured by CarolineM on her clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8E3VVTW ... 01&index=2

Thanks for the videos Caroline, they're great. :D
"We are so lightly here"
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

hey karen,

glad you enjoyed the concert. i'm diana's friend from michigan who chatted w/u at the break. my high school friend, bonnie, who was also at her first LC concert, was similarly blown away. so leonard became the "man" for at least two more fans friday night.

best,

bob from ann arbor

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”