CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, October 22

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
goldstei

CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, October 22

Post by goldstei »

It was just the greatest concert in the history of the world, that's all...except for the previous five I've attended, that is.

I was a little worried at the start, during the first two songs, LC's voice seemed to lack the deep rich timbre and rawness that so marks it. But by the third song "Ain't no cure for love," everything fell into place and by the time "Waiting for the Miracle to Come" arrived (about the sixth song), it was clear that it had arrived already. The rest of the concert was the usual amazing set of songs and performances. LC seemed very limber and tho he didn't do the "white man dances" dance (tho the Webbs cartwheeled as usual), he quasi-moondanced/shuffled around quite a bit, as did Dino (wearing sneakers!). Dino seemed to be featured a bit more than usual, Javier a bit less; Dino was very exuberhant, maybe peacock strutting a bit, but nothing criminal!
LC did "Sisters of Mercy," which I don't remember from prior concerts, and he also recited a verse which I had never heard before before commencing with "Anthem" (in fact I don't remember him reciting any verse before "Anthem" in previous concerts). Sharon R. seemed in exceptionally good voice.
The crowd was very appreciative in terms of applause, tho maybe a bit reserved in terms of joining in singing--sometimes I felt a bit alone as I belted some of the major choruses like Marianne out (don't worry, I didn't sing during the whole concert!).

I got a lift to the site, about six miles west of downtown, but the traffic and drive were pretty awful and a took the subway back (stop right near the theater and also close to my downtown hotel). Because the drive took the long, I couldn't do early entry as I had thought of, but got there early enuf (right after 7) that getting "will call exchange" tickets was not a problem. But they didn't really do individual exchanges, rather general price level exchanges, so my sense was getting tickets as good as, better or worse than the originals was haphazard. I wasn't asked for ANY identification beyond submitting my print-out, incidentally. The venue is a 1920s-type movie theater so far as I could make out, but rather plain, nothing like the character of the Chicago Chicago or the Detroit Fox. I think the population has expanded in girth since it was built as the seats were very narrow and crowded, tho this was minor. No problems with ushers and people were pretty restrained about using cell phones for photography, which, altho producing the you tubes we've all been enjoying, nonetheless are pretty irritating in a dark theater (the only incident I noted was that a fight almost broke out a few seats to my right, I think because someone asked another someone to stop using his cell phone camera).

It was a a typically amazing Cohen concert; I'm looking forward to NYC tomorrow night.
Steven

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, October 22

Post by Steven »

It was a great concert. :)
crujonez

Post by crujonez »

I thought the issues in the beginning of the show were the mics having a lot of feedback. The show was really good. Not quite on par with the Academy of Music show earlier in the year though (the sound in the Academy cannot be touched). Dino Soldo was on fire tonite. Thanks Leonard for another memorable night.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

OMG. Wonderful show. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Leonard was just beautiful! And he has the best band and singers!
SetList1.jpg
They did as on the set list except no "Hey No w/say Goodbye." The "POEM" was, of course, "A Thousand Kisses Deep."

I CANNOT believe that I left my memory cards at home for my better camera. :lol: :lol: But my little camera has stuff on it - and - I'll be back.
illbebach.jpg
illbebach.jpg (16.98 KiB) Viewed 28382 times
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

forgot to mention in my earlier report: they ended with "I tried to leave you," skipping the "whither tho goest," which i thought a substantial improvement. "whither tho goest" seems rather focused in on the performers while ending with a song which starts, after a three hour+ concert, with "I tried to leave you" and ends with "And here's a man still working for your smile" hits just the right note. "Whither" used to break that spell for me and they must have reached the same conclusion.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I feel so blessed and honored to have seen this wonderful man again here in Philadelphia!! And his wonderful musicians and singers.

I arrived at the theater in time for the early entry at 6:30 but when I asked, no one seemed to know anything about it. I kept asking. :lol: They communicated with "someone" and the word from the other end of the walkie talkie was that it was up to the band members/singers as to whether or not they would do "meet & greet." I asked where it might occur, if in fact it did occur, and they thought it would be in the lobby. After looking around for a while and not seeing any of the singers or band members, I sort of gave up on the thought that they would be showing up. I went and checked out my seat - as did a friend who had come to the show with me - and then we wandered back out to the lobby - and in the distance I spotted Roscoe Beck standing near the merchandise table talking to someone!!! We hurried over and I was saying hello to Roscoe and all of a sudden became aware that the very tall, slim person standing next to me was Dino!! Haha!! I simply could not believe that these guys were standing in the lobby, talking to each other, and no one seemed to be noticing them!!! They were blending in with what was becoming a crowded lobby and had not been spotted. Anyway - I had a wonderful time talking with both of them. Eventually, of course, they were spotted by others wanting to say hello.

I have video. As mentioned before, I managed to leave memory cards for my good camera at home. When I started to use it at the beginning of the show I was surprised to see it cut off and say "video processing" and then "internal memory full." OMG :lol: :lol: :lol: My other little camera is good but once you set the zoom prior to taking video, you cannot change it.

As goldstei mentioned, they did not do "Whither Thou Goest" at the end of the show. Me? I loved that ending to the show, that included Leonard's blessings. But - had I not known that it used to be part of shows in the past - I would not have noted it as being "missing." I guess I am saying that they did just like Leonard said they were going to do - they gave us the best they had! And they are the "best of the best."

I'll be back with other things to say - probably! :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a few pictures too - not from the stage but from after the show. And here are a few videos I have uploaded so far. And I apologize - I seemed to manage in a few cases to start taping just after the song started. I have no reason to offer - other than worrying about how much memory I would have with my little camera and wondering, because of that, which songs I should tape!

I would love to go to New York tonight! This show was a "first" for my friend and she is ready to hop the train to the Big Apple. At intermission, I said to her "have you ever?" and she kept saying "no!" By the way - my seat was amazing. Front row - almost in the center!! And I was only a few yards from the front of the stage. The ticket exchange was enhanced in the translation (from the Spectrum to the Tower). :D :D

Hallelujah (may be still processing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M29dl_acaaA

I'm Your Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqCpbhgZeE

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odDGS_rGcKQ

And - newsflash - Dino hinted that he has a new VBlog for us and it should be quite interesting!
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

The Videos are just great! Must be a great Show! They changed nearly every Song-arrangement a little bit. But it's for good. How i wished i could be there! And the quality of your Videoclips are really superb! If you do have some more of the Videos: please, show us all of them!
Susanne
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Susanne - I have more. Soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I here is some of my "blah, blah, blah" about things I didn't have time to mention earlier -

In "I'm Your Man" - I love Leonard's hand/finger gestures around 1:15 "If you want a driver" - like a smooth cab-hailing gesture? Haha!! And then at 1:15 he notices the audience singing "I'm Your Man" and we get a big smile. And he actually leaves the last line of the song for the audience to sing - and we get another big smile - more like a laugh - and a "thank you" from Leonard.
Okay - when I was talking to Roscoe before the show, I told him that his "pleeeeeeeeeease" in this song was now "TM Roscoe Beck." Haha! I think we got a bit of extra last night. Bit smiles - and at the first one, we have a pleading hand movement thrown in. :lol: :lol: :lol: - at 2:23 and 4:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqCpbhgZeE

In "The Future" - great leg movement from Leonard at 5:21 (the equipment blocks the view a bit). Terrific performance by Leonard - and this band is so smooth. They are swinging and swaying. Then, at about 4:00 you see Hattie and Charley start with their smooth moves - removing and hanging up their jackets - and then their amazing cartwheels! :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odDGS_rGcKQ
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

Hello again. In Lissabon and Madrid, LC does quite the same: at the end of "I'm your Man", the crowd replies the whole last line. And everytime, that they do so, it seems, that LC is quite happy with it, he had a big smile on his Face and enjoy it for sure. Try the Video from Colmar 2009, "I'm your Man". They gave him Boxer-gloves and a Stethoscop on the Stage, and he take it and wear it for quite a short Time. I love the Song very much. Is "Lover, Lover, Lover" in the USA not so much requested that it is in Europe? In August, September, he had sung it nearly at every Gig. And the response from the crowd was huge; also by "The Partisan". As they perform it in Lissabon and Madrid, all the People, even the younger ones, sing the whole Song. Sure, the meaning is quite strong. But it seemed to me, that "Lover, Lover" and "the Partisan" are more questioned as in the USA. Is it so? Susanne
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Susanne - I have definitely watched those videos. :lol: And more than once. :lol:

I think people here in the USA would like very much if Leonard did "Lover, Lover, Lover" at a show. :D :D I was hoping he would do it last night. He did do "The Partisan" last night - I don't think I recorded it (wish I had recorded everything!!) but it was wonderful - of course. And I do remember that there was a noticeable welcoming audience response when they realized that he was singing "The Partisan."

Moving along slowly - more video -

Bird On The Wire - What can I say about this beautiful performance by Leonard!! And Bob Metzger and Dino Soldo make amazing contributions to Leonard's performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaHmLbZn6E

The Gypsy's Wife - beautiful - and I love this gorgeous arrangement - featuring Javier, Roscoe and Dino.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_GL2NeW1Jo
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

as i mentioned, there wasn't much crowd singing...in fact very few sang theh "i'm your man" that LC made room for. but they did love him!
banba

Post by banba »

This was a phenomenal concert. Ironically I think he was better than when I saw him in Dublin 2 decades ago!
I was pretty glad the crowd did not sing along! The man is god
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A few more videos -

Anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kawa-zbpQJg

I gave Leonard a Laurel Wreath - for our Poet Laureate. I laid it on the stage and he saw it but he doesn't pick it up for a while. You can see him examine it and then pick it up during "Take This Waltz" around 5:15.
Wreath1.jpg
Take This Waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqhSENSjvtI

Closing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTBb5XtZSI

And I think I still have more video. :roll:
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The band members were "busing it" to NYC after the show at the Tower. I had bought a Tour Book at the merch table and after the show, I was able to meet a few more of the band members - and see Dino and Roscoe again - and get them to sign my book. All of them were very nice. A few pictures - hope they don't mind! Happy looking people.

Javier Mas
Javier1.jpg
Dino Soldo
Dino1.jpg
Dino2.jpg
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Sharon Robinson
SharonRobinson1.jpg
Roscoe Beck
Roscoe1.jpg

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”