CONCERT REPORT: Tampa, FL, October 19th

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Roy

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Tampa, FL, October 19th

Post by Roy »

Leonard Cohen in Florida on Youtube

This is all there is so far:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 7C7A47AB0C

How many people would you say were at the Tampa concert?
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
vegetated

Post by vegetated »

MarieM wrote:The set list in Creative Loafing doesn't mention I Tried to Leave You. Anyone remember if it was performed? Thanks.
Yes it was.

sturgess66 wrote:

I think people were thoroughly frisked before going into this venue last night and all cameras and electric devices were confiscated. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not mine.
philrose

Post by philrose »

Leonard was outstanding on Monday night. The venue was superb with an excellent sound system and acoustics.
Leonard was clearly on top of his game and enjoying himself. I have seen many concerts (including Pink Floyd, Van Morrison etc) and this was the best by far. His supporting musicians and singers were beyond impeccable. They never missed a note or a beat and blew me away. At 75 (same age as my mother) Leonard clearly is the master of what he does. His life compared to my mothers are light years apart.
Same set list as Fort Lauderdale except for Chelsea Hotel. Friends who attended both concerts in Florida said Tampa venue was better and more intimate (holds 2500). I would offer the following comment: no matter how many fans were in the venue everyone felt that this was a private show by Leonard only for them. I felt like Leonard was in my living room and performing only for me. I envy Leonard, at 75 every woman in the place wanted to make love to him. I'm packing in my job, buying a guitar and writing poems, I have 22 years to get where Leonard is!
I'm inclined to get tickets for the Nashville show in a couple of weeks and see him again before its too late.
Highlights for me was the Webb sisters singing 'If it be your Will', Leonard singing 'So Long Marianne', Famous Blue Rain Coat', 'Hallelujah' and 'Suzanne'. The acoustic guitarist Javier Mas played the most fantastic 5 minute intro to one song that left me speechless.
I'm not a religious man but the concert was the closest I got to complete spiritual fulfillment.
I waited 37 years to see Leonard. He's lived in my house for all that time, on Monday night he finally came into my room and I heard his voice and the circle was complete.
After the show a few of us (including Lizzie) got together in a local restaurant and had a wonderful couple of hours drinking and talking about how Leonard had impacted our lives.
It was a magical evening and one I will remember for a long time.
Phil
~~~ A Wandering Soul Mislaid ~~~
sturgess66

Re: Tampa Bay PAC - October 19th

Post by sturgess66 »

sue7 wrote:An article from Tampa Bay Online

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/20 ... -breaking/

"Leonard Cohen commands stage

The 75-year-old Leonard Cohen performed at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center's Carol Morsani Hall before a sold-out crowd of 2,590.

By CURTIS ROSS | The Tampa Tribune

Published: October 20, 2009
The same article appeared in the California Chronicle today -
http://www.californiachronicle.com/arti ... /136749800
phreil

Post by phreil »

Someone's probably already posted this somewhere, but if you haven't seen it take a look at a day in the life of a travelling musician by Dino himself on his way to Tampa at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE9fYX2QyWM

I really enjoyed it
...more...or less...or more again...the rest is plain to see..
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

an earlier post has Leonard last night poetisying in "Thousand Kisses Deep" the following lyric:

certain lyrics jumped out at me at various points and begged to be recognized: “You came to me this morning / And you handled me like meat / You’d have to live alone to know / How good that feels, how sweet” (from “A Thousand Kisses”)

it's possible, since in concert in one song he's substituted "careless sex" for "anal sex" but i find it hard to believe he's changed this one, since in the concerts i've been at it's always been

"You'd have to be a man to know"

but i think the posting was by a woman and...well
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From "manna1722" on YouTube

Boogie Street - it is not up close video - but the audio is terrific. Ohhhhh my, Sharon! :D Wonderful performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkAx65f_qC0
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Now that I am back home from Florida and have exactly four days to do my laundry, pay some bills, and pack again to take the train to Chicago for yet another blissful Leonard Cohen concert.....

The Tampa concert met all of my expectations and more... My sister Sharon accompanied me and this was her first "Live Leonard" experience. Needless to say she is hooked on Leonard and also the band. This was not my first concert but I have found that each time I see Leonard I feel like I am experiencing him for the first time. New layers are revealed within his music each time I see him in concert. The lyrics of his songs penetrated so deeply into my heart that at times I was overcome with emotion. Sitting in the fouth row was indeed a gift.The visual experience of the man kneeling and singing his songs with such passion and so close that I could see every facial expression was sublime.I wanted to reach out and hold his hand .....but I did manage to restrain myself from such actions. My greatest pleasure was watching my sisters face as she traveled on this journey with me....

Although we arrived early to the venue we did not see any band members wandering about. I did speak with a man named Carlos who was wearing a suit and signature hat (the Fedora) like the band and identified himself to me as a promoter for AEG. He was wearing the pass around his neck so I thought he was probably associated with the band. He said that he had not seen any band members in the lobby either. So I did not meet any band members but I did manage to purchase the Unified Heart ring.....

The evening continued with a meet-up of a small group from the forum which included Lizzy and a friend of hers as well as Phil Rose with his lovely wife Mary. I really enjoyed our little concert afterglow gathering.

The whole concert was fantastic in my opinion. Leonards voice was crisp and strong as were the voices of his angels the Webb sisters and Sharon Robinson. The instruments were the voices of the band and each played with passion and power. In the winter of his life Leonard is building his own legacy . I wish him many more seasons to follow....

I have shared my thoughts and experiences of this wonderful evening with all of you because we are all Unified through our love and appreciation of Leonard ....
This forum is a wonderful vessel to bring us all together....

donalagata
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks for your recap donalagata - and for sharing your thoughts. I was just blessed to see Leonard in Philly from an up close seat as well - every facial expression - every movement of his hands, etc. Yes - I was blessed. This show they are touring is beyond wonderful. I could go on and on - but you have said it very well.

I also bought one of the Unified Heart rings. I had to ask - and the guy said they had only a few left and he had them sequestered under the counter. And wasn't that pass hanging on Carlos' neck nice? :lol: :lol:

Lucky you - to be going to another show!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Brysburg - is that your video? It is marked private. If it is yours - maybe you could click "edit" and make it public? :D :D
Roy

Post by Roy »

Roy wrote:Leonard Cohen in Florida on Youtube

This is all there is so far:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 7C7A47AB0C
Tampa concert added!
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Donalagata,

Beautiful review of the concert - Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Brysburg

Post by Brysburg »

Thanks, Sturgess66...I have now made it "public"...Hope you and others here enjoy the memories of Leonard's concert in Tampa....
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

This show is available on Dime for few days now (aud.rec.)
Leonard Cohen
October 19, 2009
Morsani Hall
Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center
Tampa, Florida

lineage
ca-11 -> stc-9000 -> r-09hr 24/96 -> soundforge 16/44.1 -> flac

setlist

set one
01 Dance Me To The End Of Love
02 The Future
03 Ain't No Cure For Love