CONCERT REPORT: Ft Lauderdale, October 17

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
happiness

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Ft Lauderdale, October 17

Post by happiness »

jglBB wrote:
JSA wrote:I noticed last night that during the French (I presume) portion of The Partisan, there was scattered applause and cheering at a certain point. (This is evident in scrutnise's YouTube video.) Can any French speakers who were at the show or who watched the YouTube video illuminate whether there was a change of lyrics, or whether this is just a popular line, or maybe I misread it and there was something cool instrumentally or visually happening that I missed. Thanks.
You presume well JSA. I heard nothing new in the lyrics. I suppose it was some early arrived French-Canadian "snowbirds" who spend the winter in Florida and that they were just happy to hear Leonard singing a few lines in French.
Indeed, there is a very powerful line, « J'ai la France entière » (tr. "I have the whole of France") which makes French audiences go bananas everywhere.
See here, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1555lYFGU
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From "nycguy524"

The Future - partial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SklDueAH_U
Rian Fike

Post by Rian Fike »

Thirty minutes and counting, almost time for Tampa...

Bliss on, good luck to all.
Rian Fike

Post by Rian Fike »

If anyone uses or has a minute to sign up for reddit, we could use a few up votes for our review:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... s_but_you/

Oh man, I am getting nervous for tonight and I am not even there. This tour is powerful magic.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From "happysimcha" on YouTube

Hallelujah - partial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSfFvLYVBo
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

More from "nycguy524" -

Hallelujah - Leonard stands there, hat in hand, until the audience acknowledges that glorious, wild and crazy Hammond B3 offering from Neil Larsen. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKr22edcFM8

Everybody Knows - just a small clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03w08NWz_b4
Roy

Post by Roy »

The Fort Lauderdale concert was great, but no Democracy.

There were 18,000 people there, maybe more. There were a few empty seats here and there. During the intermission, I went and sat in one the empty seats closest to the back of the stage, which were not offered. I saw Leonard up close walking up the steps to the stage, running actually! :lol: My first Leonard Cohen concert. Three times they made you think the concert was almost over. The biggest response Leonard got was for So Long, Marianne. All the people seated at ground level got up out of their seats and walked up to be closer to the stage, and everyone sang along. Then First We Take Manhatten got everyone clapping to its opening.
Last edited by Roy on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From NewTimes - Broward/Palm Beach - and I love this - "Better Than: Any singer you've ever heard before."

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/crossfad ... ohen_a.php
Concert Review: Leonard Cohen at BankAtlantic Center, October 17
By John Hood in Concert Review
Tue., Oct. 20 2009 @ 10:31AM
leonardcohen013.jpg
leonardcohen013.jpg (123.84 KiB) Viewed 11276 times
Photo by Sayre Berman

Leonard Cohen
Saturday, October 17, 2009
BankAtlantic Center, Sunrise

Click here to view photos from this event.
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/slideshow/view/28622839

Why the hell Leonard Cohen appeared at BankAtlantic Center rather than, say, The Fillmore Gleason is anybody's guess. But if he had staged at a theater on the Beach instead of in an arena up in Broward, his show would've been even more remarkable than it was. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the BankAtlantic Center - Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC and Foo Fighters, to name but a few, all perfectly hit the hot spot, and it's a cinch Kiss will do likewise this Thursday. But like I said, it's an arena. And Leonard Cohen is no arena act.

Cohen does though happen to have a voice that could fill the Grand Canyon, even at a whisper, so he had no problem reaching the rafters here. Cohen also is one of the all-time great entertainers, though somewhat understated, so there was nothing to complain about on that end either. It's just that Cohen's music is best served up close and personal, just as it was written - and just as he sings it. So he being in a large venue, even one as well-appointed as BankAtlantic, does kind of take something away from the proceedings. Other than that though, the only thing taken away during Saturday night's concert was my breath.

But catching Leonard Cohen live, anywhere, could take away the breath of even the numbest among us. In fact, anybody with even an iota of feeling in their bones will gasp from the first moment his voice booms over, into, under and through the room. Imagine having sound not only tell the story of your life, but read everything about you, and you'll have some idea of its effect. Picture a merging of the deep of the blue sea and the high of the moon and you'll have some notion of its breadth.

Of course that voice of his wouldn't render half as heavenly is it weren't in the service of some of music's most celebrated songs, and there Cohen's got a lock on things. Then again if you had a catalog that included such classics as "Suzanne," "Bird on a Wire," "Hallelujah," "Everybody Knows" and "I'm Your Man," you'd have a lock on things too. Cohen performed each of the above, as well as "Dance Me to the End of Love" (the set opener), "Anthem" (a particular favorite), "In My Secret Life" (a track fit for Bryan Ferry) and "First We Take Manhattan" (one of several encores), among many others. And the master even took time out to recite the chilling "A Thousand Kisses Deep," a poignant reminder that his "Tower of Song" was built syllable by syllable.

Mostly though Cohen came and wowed us, with a grace and a charm few can fathom in this day and age of brash and bombast, and witnessing the event made for one unforgettable evening. There are few class acts in the world today, so any time one alights in our neck of the state it is cause for celebration. Yes, Leonard Cohen may have been better served had he staged at a smaller venue. But he was here. And for that we've no choice but to be utterly thankful.

Critic's Notebook

Personal Bias: I've been a fan of the man since my first New York City girl turned me on to him way back in the late '80s.

Random Detail: Cohen often knelt to the ground in order to better bring his songs up from his soul, and each kneeling had the feel of righteous supplication.

By the Way: If by chance you missed the show - or if you'd like to relive it - Cohen's Live in London pretty much covers all the same ground, albeit somewhat differently.
Rian Fike

Post by Rian Fike »

Music unlocks the human spirit. Leonard Cohen is a keymaster. We finally had the pleasure of seeing the man perform live in concert on October 17th, 2009. It was a metaphysical jailbreak.

When the spark inside the body is released by music, it flows toward the highest common denominator. Freedom seeks love. With Leonard Cohen guiding the dance, a beacon of exquisite bliss ignited the arena and called all beings to fellowship. Our party quickly included the whole universe.

Non-physical intelligence appreciates excellence and gravitates toward penultimate performance. Dino Soldo played the best harmonica I have ever heard, and soon we were surrounded by aliens and angels. Javier Mas taught long lost demons to speak Spanish. Roscoe Beck boomed the thunderstick deep until the lava gnomes bubbled forth. Neil Larsen brought shimmering chimera into being, often in the form of legendary lounge lizards. Bob Metzger tickled tingly tarantula up and down the spine. Rafael Gayol made sure that each vertebrae in the room was on point. Sharon Robinson twisted a tempered twin tower taking Leonard deep into her heart and out into ours. Charley and Hattie Webb sweetly soothed the Seraphim within, and all were ecstatically enlarged.

These people understand the process. The music itself is the Goddess. The players are her conduits. The audience is the fuel. The theater grounds the charge and places it for reference. All segments synchronize in sublime communion, and the winged serpent takes flight. On October 17th, 2009 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, it was lifted higher than ever before.

We were treated to a whole set of new arrangements in the first half of the show, then settled back into our seats by traditional favorites in the second. Three encores sent us off into the evening for the first night of the rest of our lives. Each human body that entered the building was changed forever.

Thank you Leonard Cohen. We will never be the same.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Another article by John Hood - this one in Spin.com - more photos at the link
http://www.spin.com/articles/leonard-co ... es-us-tour
It Happened Last Night
Leonard Cohen Launches U.S. Tour

The Gentleman Monk wows a packed South Florida arena with an emotionally moving three-hour concert. Click here for a review!

By John Hood 10.19.09 8:13 AM
Spin.comLeonard-cohen-main.jpg
Leonard Cohen / Photo by Ian Witlen

There's a pivotal scene in Walk the Line( http://www.hulu.com/watch/12973/walk-the-line-one-song ) when Sun records founder Sam Phillips dares Johnny Cash to sing one song that people would always remember, one that "would let God know how [he] felt about [his] time here on Earth." But what if Phillips dared Cash to sing 10 or even 12? There are few singer/songwriters in the history of music that could pull off such a feat -- and among those few is Leonard Cohen.

Cohen's remarkable songs have been covered by everyone from Nina Simone to the Pixies to Johnny Cash himself. And Saturday night at the kickoff of Cohen's U.S. tour at Ft. Lauderdale, FL's BankAtlantic Center, he showed a crowd of thousands just how moving those songs can be live.

Cohen's back on the road with a 15-date nationwide outing, following the 75-year-old's grand return concert in New York ( http://www.spin.com/articles/leonard-co ... w-15-years ) last winter after a 15-year absence.

Over three hours and four encores, Cohen took his deep, blue baritone to a depth rarely heard. On "Everybody Knows" he sang about admissions and sins; On "Anthem" he crooned about the duality of there being a "crack in everything" -- a crack that sometimes lets light in. There's the lullaby-esque ballad "Sister of Mercy"; the rising vocals of "Suzanne"; the sinister whispers about being crazy for love on "Tower of Song"; and the hymnal that is "Hallelujah," which had Cohen holding his hat over his heart and singing to the audience like an old traveling preacher.

Live, Cohen is the consummate gentleman, effortlessly gracious and impeccably mannered. And from the first syllable of "Dance Me to the End of Love" to the last consonant of "First We Take Manhattan," everyone was treated with complete respect. He even kneeled before the audience on numerous occasions, as if begging for their acceptance.

Cohen was just as gracious to his nine-piece band, from the fedora-topped multi-instrumentalists to the cartwheeling back-up singers, and he twice took time out to introduce them and emphasize how important he considered their participation. It will be tough to forget the name of Barcelona-based guitarist Javier Mas, whose fluttering riffs on tracks like "Who By Fire" were a highlight.

Perhaps the most remarkable point about Cohen is how he seduces the truth in his music and life, something he chased for the past five years as a student at the Zen Buddhist centre in California. He digs up our deepest emotions, as if he was born to do it all along.

Forget the notion of singing one song that people would remember. Instead, think of the men whose musical catalogues people will remember long after those stage lights go dim. Leonard Cohen is one of those men.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Leonard Cohen in Florida Playlist on Youtube

This is all there is so far:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 7C7A47AB0C
Roy

Post by Roy »

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/crossfad ... a.php#more

MIAMI NEW TIMES

Concert Review: Leonard Cohen at BankAtlantic Center, October 17
By John Hood in Concert ReviewTue., Oct. 20 2009 @ 10:31AM

Photo by Sayre Berman
​Click here to view photos from this event.

Leonard Cohen
Saturday, October 17, 2009
BankAtlantic Center, Sunrise

Better Than: Any singer you've ever heard before.

Why the hell Leonard Cohen appeared at BankAtlantic Center rather than, say, The Fillmore Gleason is anybody's guess. But if he had staged at a theater on the Beach instead of in an arena up in Broward, his show would've been even more remarkable than it was. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the BankAtlantic Center - Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC and Foo Fighters, to name but a few, all perfectly hit the hot spot, and it's a cinch Kiss will do likewise this Thursday. But like I said, it's an arena. And Leonard Cohen is no arena act.

Cohen does though happen to have a voice that could fill the Grand Canyon, even at a whisper, so he had no problem reaching the rafters here. Cohen also is one of the all-time great entertainers, though somewhat understated, so there was nothing to complain about on that end either. It's just that Cohen's music is best served up close and personal, just as it was written - and just as he sings it. So he being in a large venue, even one as well-appointed as BankAtlantic, does kind of take something away from the proceedings. Other than that though, the only thing taken away during Saturday night's concert was my breath.

But catching Leonard Cohen live, anywhere, could take away the breath of even the numbest among us. In fact, anybody with even an iota of feeling in their bones will gasp from the first moment his voice booms over, into, under and through the room. Imagine having sound not only tell the story of your life, but read everything about you, and you'll have some idea of its effect. Picture a merging of the deep of the blue sea and the high of the moon and you'll have some notion of its breadth.

Of course that voice of his wouldn't render half as heavenly is it weren't in the service of some of music's most celebrated songs, and there Cohen's got a lock on things. Then again if you had a catalog that included such classics as "Suzanne," "Bird on a Wire," "Hallelujah," "Everybody Knows" and "I'm Your Man," you'd have a lock on things too. Cohen performed each of the above, as well as "Dance Me to the End of Love" (the set opener), "Anthem" (a particular favorite), "In My Secret Life" (a track fit for Bryan Ferry) and "First We Take Manhattan" (one of several encores), among many others. And the master even took time out to recite the chilling "A Thousand Kisses Deep," a poignant reminder that his "Tower of Song" was built syllable by syllable.

Mostly though Cohen came and wowed us, with a grace and a charm few can fathom in this day and age of brash and bombast, and witnessing the event made for one unforgettable evening. There are few class acts in the world today, so any time one alights in our neck of the state it is cause for celebration. Yes, Leonard Cohen may have been better served had he staged at a smaller venue. But he was here. And for that we've no choice but to be utterly thankful.

Critic's Notebook

Personal Bias: I've been a fan of the man since my first New York City girl turned me on to him way back in the late '80s.

Random Detail: Cohen often knelt to the ground in order to better bring his songs up from his soul, and each kneeling had the feel of righteous supplication.

By the Way: If by chance you missed the show - or if you'd like to relive it - Cohen's Live in London pretty much covers all the same ground, albeit somewhat differently.
Tags: BankAtlantic Center, Leonard Cohen
Roy

Post by Roy »

18,000 people attended the Leonard Cohen concert at the Bank Atlantic Center in Fort Lauderdale.

Last edited by Roy on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSA

Post by JSA »

happiness wrote:
jglBB wrote:
JSA wrote:I noticed last night that during the French (I presume) portion of The Partisan, there was scattered applause and cheering at a certain point. (This is evident in scrutnise's YouTube video.) Can any French speakers who were at the show or who watched the YouTube video illuminate whether there was a change of lyrics, or whether this is just a popular line, or maybe I misread it and there was something cool instrumentally or visually happening that I missed. Thanks.
You presume well JSA. I heard nothing new in the lyrics. I suppose it was some early arrived French-Canadian "snowbirds" who spend the winter in Florida and that they were just happy to hear Leonard singing a few lines in French.
Indeed, there is a very powerful line, « J'ai la France entière » (tr. "I have the whole of France") which makes French audiences go bananas everywhere.
See here, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1555lYFGU
Thanks to you both for the explanations!

On another note, what is the probability there would be a nice soundboard recording made available of the Sunrise concert?
Roy

Post by Roy »

Leonard Cohen, Bank Atlantic Center, Fort Lauderdale, Saturday, October 17, 2009!

Last edited by Roy on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”