An Evening with... Madison Square Garden

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tomergazit

An Evening with... Madison Square Garden

Post by tomergazit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Does anyone know what does An evening with Leonard Cohen mean ?

Madison Square Garden 23/10 NYC

Thanks, Tom
MaryB

Re: An Evening with... Madison Square Garden

Post by MaryB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:58 pm

This is the actual concert with Leonard Cohen, himself in person, with his band.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sourire

Post by sourire » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Here's another question for those experienced LC concertgoers Stateside...anyone know what the seats are like in Section 7, Row J at MSG? I know NYC, but not MSG!
Will I just see LC's back from there? :roll: Or worse, just other fans' backs. I was too stressed to give them up at presale and try again..
Still, there's always the music to listen to :D :D
Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
happiness

Post by happiness » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:28 pm

sourire wrote:Here's another question for those experienced LC concertgoers Stateside...anyone know what the seats are like in Section 7, Row J at MSG? I know NYC, but not MSG!
Will I just see LC's back from there? :roll: Or worse, just other fans' backs. I was too stressed to give them up at presale and try again..
Never having been in that section, I can't tell you what those seats are like. But, there is a seating map here.
http://www.thegarden.com/media/content/ ... eating.pdf
And there's a virtual tour here.
http://www.thegarden.com/seating/index.html

I was a bit disappointed with the MSG presale. Either there was an incredible flood of members who snatched up the choice fanclub seats seconds after the start of the presale, or MSG simply didn't release the best seats for the fanclub.

Indeed, we'll still have the music.
sourire

Post by sourire » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tour link, happiness. I've just had a dizzifying virtual trip and think my seats are facing the front of the stage, at least! I was so happy to get tix I ignored all other possibilities and grabbed them. Naive Londoner!
Hope you were lucky too.
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
goldstei

Post by goldstei » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:34 pm

hey sourire,

if you're coming all the way across the ocean for nyc, you might as well go to philly also (the previous night)--tho perhaps you've already planned to. i promise, these concerts are worth seeing twice!

and mary b.--

forgot to mention that i was in the audience in that amazing concert at hamilton at which you tossed out the first monkey--at that concert our friend said, "every artist dreams of receiving a reception like this." van the man gave a good concert but never once even acknowledged the audience in any way. a lot of bloggers were really pissed off over that, as well as the relative briefness of morisson's concert--less than two hours, only one encore (sort of, as he never quite left the stage) with only one song. at one point during the concert he got pissed off at one of his stage hands who hadn't done something quickly or well announced, and bellowed (righit into a microphone) "just get it the fuck out of here." don't think we'll ever hear that from LC, thankfully!

ann arbor bob
sue7

Post by sue7 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:49 pm

sourire wrote:Here's another question for those experienced LC concertgoers Stateside...anyone know what the seats are like in Section 7, Row J at MSG? I know NYC, but not MSG!
Hi Sourire,
Well, I'm not an experienced MSG concertgoer, but as far as I can see and figure out from my few MSG events and their map, Section 7 is on the floor, which I think is not raised. You won't be tooooo far from the stage, because sections 1-4 are 26 rows and sections 5-8 are just behind them. You will definitely be in front of the stage.
My daughter and I got Section 6, Row A, seats 1 and 2: we shouldn't be too far away from each other...
See you there!
Thinking of which, wouldn't it be great if we had a way of identifying other Forum members, unless we found a way to meet up before the concert?
Best regards,
Sue
sourire

Post by sourire » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone who's been so helpful. I can live with those MSG seats. Goldstei-as for heading to Philly-don't tempt me! Still have the planeseats to pay..too big a 'pond' to swim across.

A meet-up would be fun. I'm with you on that Sue7-maybe we need some fan Forum items..burning violin, garbage & flowers, tea & oranges? That should make clearing airport security exciting! Or not.
See you there, hopefully :D :razz:
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
goldstei

Post by goldstei » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:38 pm

hey sourire,

philly is only about an hour away from nyc by train and tickets start there at about $30. you should be tempted. the concerts are really fabulous.

as for the items, you mention, you should check in with mary b., an active poster who is way ahead of you, having supplied flying monkeys (the second of whom, fred, has his own thread on this forum), plywood (not burning) violins, long-stemmed roses and boxes of chocolates at past concerts (tho haven't heard of any tea & organges, and should you throw garbage at leonard i would immediately start running for the exits before the hard-core fans begin to pummel you :lol: :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:09 am

Did the tea (which was a product of China) and oranges also. Someone did do that one waaay before me as were the chocolates and long stemmed roses done a number of times. A great one was Esther/monkeyfce who did the laying of the polka dot blouse on stage in Oakland for 'Closing Time'! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All on stage do get a kick out of any items that we present to them. Go for it! Just remember, like Bob said, no garbage :roll: :lol: !
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
smellslikefritos

Post by smellslikefritos » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:16 am

You can get bus tickets between Philly and NYC for even cheaper; if you get the megabus or the boltbus tickets early enough, you may be able to snag them for $1.
goldstei

Post by goldstei » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:05 am

$30 reference was to cost of cheapest philly tickets--even amtrak train tickets between nyc & philly are no doubt far less than $30 and you can also get there via cheap new jersey commuter rlrd.
sourire

Post by sourire » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:28 pm

OOOhhhh, go to Philly going round, round, round my brain. :roll: :) $30, just 30 mins from my N.Jersey cousin's place. She already sent me the venue link...partner now thinks I'm crazy. So?
I'm applying cool logic (£££'s, $$$$$) to this. May go yet...all your fault!

Thanks for the accessories dress code guide, how sad to suggest items that are SO last season! So that's who Fred is. Not doing my forum homework well yet. But the garbage, that's new, could be from Leonard's punk phase. Very London!

See youse somewhere there.
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
goldstei

Post by goldstei » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:23 pm

sourire--

on this site, you are crazy only if you attend at least seven (7) Leonard Cohen concerts.

at fourteen (14) concerts, you qualify as insane.

at twenty (20), the men in white suits come to cart you away (sorry, bonnie, but you know it's true!)

as i am a "Dr." (ok, it's a Ph.D. in political science), in my professional opinion, you would be "crazy" to cross the Atlantic for the Oct. 23 NYC concert and NOT go to the Oct. 22 Philadelphia concert. assuming you are able to convince your partner to humour you (in the u.s. it's spelled "humor" but i am seeking to "humour" you), 2 Philly tickets in the lowest price category, plus the extortion fees required by the ticketseller, will probably cost you about $75, and the transport from NYC will add another $25 or so, but that $100 compared to what you are already investing is pretty minor. plus, if you come to Philly, i will treat you & your companion to a (modest) restaurant dinner (sorry folks, this offer is good only for sourire & her friend, who is coming from the UK--just extending that famous Cohen forum hospitality, which is usually compared only to the southern variety).

all kidding aside (but the meal offer is for real!), these concerts have been amazing. person after person has written blogs, reviews etc which basically all say:

1) this was the most amazing concert i've ever been to
2) this was the closest thing to a religious experience i've ever had
3) i was crying for joy during these concerts

i agree with all of the above. these are concerts which provide hope and joy and which give all of us "a box of chocolates and a long-stemmed rose," for three solid hours.

"yes you can"

bob from ann arbor
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 pm

goldstei wrote: at fourteen (14) concerts, you qualify as insane.

1) this was the most amazing concert i've ever been to

bob from ann arbor
Uh oh - look out all LV concertgoers :roll: :lol: ! (only counting concerts on this tour, don't want to be crazy in my own hometown - can't have fingers pointing at me on a daily basis:razz: :lol: )

sourire - As to #1 - without a doubt!

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”