Croatian poets celebrate Mr. Cohen's 75th birthday

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
tomsakic

Everybody Knows Leonard Cohen - the Croatian tribute, 25.9.

Post by tomsakic »

Everybody Knows Leonard Cohen
Večer poezije i glazbe u čast 75. rođendana Leonarda Cohena
Booksa, 25. 9. 2009. u 19h

Videoprojekcija i slušaonica
Recital: Ivan Babić, Tomica Bajsić, Ana Brnardić, Boris Gregorić, Irena Lukšić, Irena Matijašević, Branislav Oblučar, Marko Pogačar, Ivan Šamija, Damir Šodan i Silvestar Vrljić
Koncert cover-benda Tower of Songs

Kao što se u čast Jamesa Joycea širom svijeta svake godine organizira proslava Bloomsdaya, tako i poštovatelji opusa kanadskog pjesnika, romanopisca i kantautora (šansonijera i pop-pjevača) Leonarda Cohena već godinama obilježavaju njegov rođendan 21. rujna. Sve je započelo 1990-ih, otvaranjem web-stranice The Leonard Cohen Files, kojoj je i Cohen iz zen-budističkog samostana slao nove pjesme. Fanovi okupljeni oko te stranice počeli su od 2000. organizirati bijenalni svjetski skup obožavatelja (event), a uspjeh koncepta prelio se u niz manjih okupljanja, u skalama od međunarodnih (meet-up) do lokalnih (gathering), da bi trend eskalirao dvogodišnjom Cohenovom turnejom 2008-2009, tijekom koje se takvi skupovi odvijaju prije i poslije skoro svakoga koncerta.
Skupovi Cohenovih fanova, takozvanih Cohenites, najčešće su posvećeni jednom cijelom zasebnom podžanru u muzici – obradama Cohena. U svijetu je izdano preko 60 albuma s obradama Cohenovih pjesama, i to mahom u stranim prepjevima, među kojima je i Hazarder Ibrice Jusića. Prepjeva pojedinih pjesama je u ovom trenutku 1717, na čelu sa Suzanne i sveprisutnom Hallelujom, za koju je Cohen u travnju ove godine zatražio "moratorij na izvedbe". Na našem tribute-koncertu nastupit će zagrebački bend Tower of Songs (http://www.towerofsongs.net), inače posvećen obradama Cohena i Dylana.
Kako se Cohena naziva "pjesnikom pjesnika", autorom čija sjena pada preko nekoliko generacija pjesnika i pogotovo singer-songwritera u svijetu, česti su oblik odavanja počasti Cohenu pjesnički zbornici i knjige. U Booksi će se održati pjesnički recital na kojemu će svoja djela – neka posvećena Cohenu – čitati niz književnika, u rasponu od prevoditelja Cohenove zadnje knjige Book of Longing, Damira Šodana, najnovijeg prepjevavatelja Tomice Bajsića, velikih obožavatelja Irene Lukšić i Ivana Babića, do mladih poštovatelja poput Ivana Šamije i Ane Brnardić.
Uz Barcelonu (gdje Cohen nastupa točno na svoj rođendan), Edmonton i Dresden, te postavljanje spomen-ploče u hotelu Chelsea u New Yorku, zagrebački skup ove je godine jedan od većih programa povodom Cohenova 75. rođendana, a organizira ga A Thousand Kisses Deep, hrvatska stranica Leonarda Cohena (http://www.leonardcohencroatia.com).
Everybody Knows Leonard Cohen: An Evening of Poetry and Music Honouring Leonard Cohen's 75th Birthday
Booksa, Zagreb, 25.9.2009.

Croatia will finally add its name to the list of countries celebrating Leonard Cohen's birthday. On the occasion of the 75th birthday of the celebrated Canadian bard, Booksa (http://www.booksa.hr), the famous literary club in the Croatian capital of Zagreb, will host a group of renown Croatian poets (including Mr. Cohen's Croatian translators) who will read their poems and prose, some of them quoting Mr. Cohen's work as their influence.
The 2nd part of the programme will include a tribute concert by the local Leonard Cohen cover band, Tower of Songs (http://www.towerofsongs.net). This event is organised by A Thousand Kisses Deep (http://www.leonardcohencroatia.com), programmed by Tomislav Sakic and Dino Filipovic (Tower of Songs). Design by Jurica Staresincic.

19h: video screening
20h: poetry recital: Ivan Babic, Tomica Bajsic, Ana Brnardic, Boris Gregorich, Irena Luksic, Irena Matijasevic, Branislav Oblucar, Marko Pogacar, Ivan Samija, Damir Sodan, Silvestar Vrljić
21:30h: tribute concert: Tower of Songs

http://www.leonardcohencroatia.com, http://www.towerofsongs.net, http://www.booksa.hr

Poster designed by Jurica Staresincic, using the photo by Lorca Cohen.
Paul Zagreb

Re: Croatian poets celebrate Mr. Cohen's 75th birthday

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Tom ... what a great initiative - svaka ti čast .. and having it on Friday means I will be safely back from Barcelona and able to attend!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Absolutely!

Our old Forum member and frequent visitors of international events Juraj Mucko will also be in Barcelona, and back until Friday for our meet-up!
lizzytysh

Re: Everybody Knows Leonard Cohen - the Croatian tribute, 25.9.

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Tom [and Jurica] ~

This looks like you'll be having a wonderful night on the 25th. The very best of luck and good wishes go with you. That's a great photo of Leonard... "Inside Leonard's Fedora" ;-) ~ I love the joy he seems to emanate more and more as this tour has continued. You did a great job on the cover, Jurica. I love how Leonard comes from out of the darkness and into the light. In every way, he looks brilliant.

I'm glad to see Croatia putting itself on the Leonard map. You chose a big year to do it 8) . Looking forward to seeing you both in Cracow... and to reading a report on how your evening of the 25th went.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Thank you, Lizzy:)

Jurica is around, but he recently got little Leonardo, a son (claiming that he named him after the Ninja turtle, not after Mr. Cohen:), but he's still doing some Cohen-related designs when I press him:)
You did a great job on the cover, Jurica. I love how Leonard comes from out of the darkness and into the light. In every way, he looks brilliant.
The praises goes to Lorca Cohen also, it's her photo, we scanned it from Record Store Day single:) Here's the original photo, from http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/vinyl2009.html:

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, I see it's very very close, yes 8) ... thanks for posting the original.

Yes ~ Congratulations go to Lorca for a stunning photo!! And, to you folks, for selecting it as the cover.

Haha. Yeah, right, and I wonder who will be the first to believe him... perhaps, Leonardo himself, at about age 3 ;-) . So, congratulations to you, Jurica, on fatherhood :D 8) :D . Great choice of name :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
luka467

Post by luka467 »

See you there!
:D
jasmina

Post by jasmina »

Great :razz:
See you tonight :D

veselim se susretu s vama!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I think this event was big success. Big crowd gathered, mostlz poets, artists, intellectuals and students. The venue already scheduled the 76th celebration for Sept 21, 2010, Tuesday!

Reports, photos, video recording and soundboard/podcast mp3 coming soon!
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Tom Sakic wrote:I think this event was big success. Big crowd gathered, mostlz poets, artists, intellectuals and students. The venue already scheduled the 76th celebration for Sept 21, 2010, Tuesday!

Reports, photos, video recording and soundboard/podcast mp3 coming soon!
Dear/dragi Tom and all others involved in organizing this

What a great event. Booksa is such a great venue and it was full .. at least for the poetry .. Booksa is a kind of literary club and so - amazingly enough - bigger audience for the poetry (Leonard would surely appreciate this!) than for the band who also played excellently, later. I took a few pictures (see http://picasaweb.google.com/paul.stubbs ... oksaZagreb#) ... just posting a couple here .. one is of Tom and my son Luka who also loved the whole evening and even asked the band to play 'Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye' as an encore! Behind them is a poster for The Peace Studies programme which I am involved with so the whole picture is full of meanings!!! The other gives you a sense of the large and very appreciative audience who gathered there. And as Tom said, see you next year!!!

Paul
Tom and Luka.jpg
Booksa 29 Sept.jpg
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
jasmina

Post by jasmina »

Tom, thank you for charming evening in Booksa last Friday :D

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”