Happy Birthday, Leonard!

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Parvaneh

Re: Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by Parvaneh » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:24 pm

Happy Birthday dear Leonard,

I wish you happiness and health, love and joy and wonderful surprises.

You have given me among the happiest moments of my life with your concerts. They were a "peak experience in which you yourself are dissolved" - all the whys and questions about life disappeared, there was only the present, your wonderful voice and sublime happiness. Listening to your music at home I close my eyes and those wonderful moments come back to me. Thank you. What an extraordinary man you are, what a gift to be able to inspire so many.

With love,

Kerstinxxx
enilorac

Post by enilorac » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for sharing the music,

thanks for knowing all the right words (even when you forgot them),

keep dreaming that crazy dream,

and

Do not forget old friends
you never knew
the lives you know nothing about
we being the ones
who kissed you on paper
and only came away with inky lips

Do not forget old lovers
who long ago
in lives you know nothing about
laid lying tempting
kisses on other men unknown
who only wore your words on their snaking tongues

Do not forget old friends
across a page where you have never been
inside lives you know nothing about
you being someone
distantly oracular
who only knows us by heart

(sharing a line and form with Do not forget old friends from Selected Poems by Leonard Cohen - thanks for the loan of that first line, and for the inspiration!)
caz

Post by caz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:01 pm

Dear Leonard

That's the thing with coming late to add wishes to a 'card': others have already said what you want to say, and so eloquently too. That's not to say that my brief message is therefore any less heartfelt, nor lacking those sentiments for the not saying of them.

Thanks for everything, including (and perhaps especially) for a day back in 76, one bright early morning outside your hotel, when you told the doorman it was OK, you didn't mind talking to me. I've carried that moment, and those following, for all the years since. So fleeting , yet so lasting.

Yes, you are an extraordinary man: I do hope you truly know how much you have influenced so many with that special gift which you have so freely shared; how greatly you are loved; and how much we all wish you the most wonderful of birthdays.

Happy birthday, with much love
Carole xx
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:26 am

Dear Mr. Cohen!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thank you for your poetry and songs to accompany me for a long time. You connect with your words the people of all races and cultures. Touching hearts and soul with your words.
We are eternally grateful and honoured to have been able to listen your music and words over the years.

We wishes you all the best for your Birthday.

With love
Marina and Faridon from Vienna
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:45 am

Happy Birthday

May this birthday be the beginning of a year filled with wonderful moments.

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Rodali50

Post by Rodali50 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:26 am

Dear Leonard,
I've been following your music since the late 60's but this April I was able to attend my first concert in Saskatoon. It will remain one of the most memorable experiences of my life.
I've watched lots of video clips of you from the 70's and 80's, and you are so much more now than you were then. I can't wait to see you at 90!!!!
May all the peace and blessings you pour out to your audiences come back to you a hundredfold.
Have a Very Happy 75th Birthday and many many more years of thrilling us with your music. You'll always be "OUR MAN"!

Dawn
j6ppc

Post by j6ppc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:36 am

Leonard- I can't say much that has not been already been said. You have made a difference in my life. Thank you for for both the music and the silence.
Bests

Jon
shelleyd

Post by shelleyd » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Leonard,

I have been a fan of yours since God was a boy. Thanks for many happy hours of entertainment. Have a lovely birthday!

Sincerely,

Shelley Dunne from Dublin, Ireland. x
1972 Dublin National Stadium - 2008 Dublin Kilmainham - 2008 02 London - 2008 Birmingham - 2009 02 Dublin
loulou

Post by loulou » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Happy Birthday Leonard
may you have love & joy & whatever you may wish for !

lots of love from loulou in london
(and thank you for all the inspiration!)
desire the horse
depression the cart
Alsiony

Post by Alsiony » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Dear Leonard,
I have only just joined this forum, but I have been enjoying your words and music for almost nine years now, since I was twenty three.
My existence up to that point had been, it's fair to say, quite eventful! - and so for me personally, when I finally did 'discover' you, it was not only amazing to me, but it was also with an almost over-whelming sense of 'coming home'. I guess you could say that something just clicked. You had a massive impact on me back then, as you still do to this very day. Whether it be in the mid-afternoon whilst I am driving, or at three o'clock in the morning when I can't sleep. Good times and bad :) Afterall, it's not just what you say, but also how you say it.
A dream came true for me back in July this year. I got to see you play live for the first time! Yay! Something that I never thought would happen! The whole event meant so very much. It will go down in my history.
So it's quite simple I guess. Seeing as words are, indeed, true precious stones and metals, then all I can say is, with the deepest sincerity, thanks for all the treasure Leonard. :D
Sincere good wishes for all that is yet to come.
Long may you prosper, long may there be no preliminaries and long may you know real happiness.
Happy birthday, it's good to know you in some small way
Much love and thanks
xxx
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Happy Birthday Leonard

Thank you for the poetry, the art and especially for singing to my soul.

Lots of Love

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Bela

Post by Bela » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Joyeux Anniversaire, Leonard! And Shana Tova – may the coming year be sweet to you!

You’ve been my constant companion since the ’60s and I thank my lucky star that I finally got to hear you live last year. I will never forget the twinkle in your eye and the joy radiating from your lovely face.

Thanks for bringing beauty into this world.

Jacqueline
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
Frank Van Dael

Post by Frank Van Dael » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Happy Birthday, Mr. Cohen.

Since 1970 I read your poetry and I listen to your music.
A companion in my little life. Rumi's gardner.

Enjoy the day, good Man!

Frank Van Dael
Belgium
Mordy

Post by Mordy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Happy birthday, dear Leonard - and may you have many many more.

We'll raise a glass to you here in the UK - wish we could be in Barcelona - but we hope you'll come back and see us again one day.

Thank you for the most magical concerts I have ever experienced.

Mx
ispellit

Post by ispellit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Dear Leonard,

It is my personal once-in-a-lifetime event seeing you at the Barcelona concert on your birthday. I was also lucky being able to attend your concert in my hometown, Hamburg, and in Berlin.

For many times, I’ve been thinking about what I wanted to say to you if I once had the luck of meeting you in person for there’s no praise that hasn’t been given to you already through the years. So, all I want to say is THANK YOU for giving me so much and carrying me through good and even more through bad times by your poems and music!

Have a wonderful birthday, loads of fun and joy and happiness in the years to come! God bless you!

Love,
Kerstin
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”