Happy Birthday, Leonard!

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Wybe
Site Admin

Re: Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by Wybe » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Dear Leonard,
Everything that we want to say, is already been said by all the friends before us, so, we say it with a picture.
Thank you, Leonard, especially for the last two wonderful years.
Love from Holland,
Wijbe and Willy
Happy Birthday From Willy and Wijbe .JPG
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++ https://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl +++ --
katchina

Post by katchina » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Happy birthday to you!!

I´m not so good at english, but.....

You have been with me for all these years.
In joy and sorrow.
Thanks for sharing your heart, mind and soul.

You are the MAN!!

Me and my husband are going from Sweden to Barcelona only for you
and I really looking forward to see you, hear you!

Best wishes forever
Carina
jeremek

Post by jeremek » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:01 am

DEAR LEONARD

I thank for Your words and the music. I thank for the fact, that now I know how very much it is worthwhile waiting !
For You of wishing good health and love. Let the good always be close you.

With love
Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
bkmccalla

hippo birdday two ewe, hippo birdday two ewe...

Post by bkmccalla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 am

happy birthday to the abject object of many hearts' desire.

the bliss you have given us these many years, especially these last two, is immeasurable. thank you from the bottom of a very tired heart.

much love,
bonnie
1970, 1983, 1988, 1993/Lyon July 9/Bruges July 10/Amsterdam July 12/Lisbon July 19/Nice July 22/Lucca July 27/Rome July 28/Athens July 30/Beacon February 19/Oakland April 13, 14, 15/Kingston May 22/London May 24/Ottawa May 25, 26/Red Rocks June 4/Las Vegas November 12/San Jose November 13/Las Vegas December 2011 x2/San Jose November 2012/Oakland March 2, 3 2013...i've obviously lost my mind...
suburban.hornbag

Post by suburban.hornbag » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 am

Hope you have a fabulous 75th Birthday Leonard with lots of cake!

Love and hugs
Ruth
xXx
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Dear Mr Cohen,

I hope you have a fantastic birthday (I will be at the concert in Barcelona, really looking forward to it). Many thanks for the incredible tour, I'm glad that you've acceded to the wishes of your many fans by playing so many dates all around the world, I hope you've enjoyed it as much as we have.

I just want to say thank you for your amazing songs, novels and poetry, you speak to me like no one else.

Happy Birthday!

Ruth x
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Yeats

Post by Yeats » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:02 am

Happy Birthday, Len.

You are a good man.

All good things,

Yeats.
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Enjoy a very Happy Birthday
and may you enjoy love forever...

Thank you for sharing
the thistles and the roses
with such beauty and with such grace.

love always,

Annie from Scotland xx
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
LizzieM

Post by LizzieM » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Reading this thread I see that many people have written gentle and beautiful thoughts for you.
However, the words that spring to mind when I think of you are more along the lines of;

Enough of the "Old Man" lyrics! I'm sure I see a twinkle in your eye and that there's life in the old dog yet! ;-)

Hopefully lots and lots of life and words and music.
With love and best wishes for your 75th Birthday.
Lizzie
2008: Bournemouth, RAH. 2009: Minneapolis, Wetbridge, Granada. 2012: Wembley (Hop Farm). 2013: Brighton.
deedee7

Post by deedee7 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Happy Birthday, Leonard !
Once again, thank you for the past 30 odd years and for the most recent couple of years, when I finally realised the chance to see you in concert. That was always my seemingly, unattainable dream and it was every bit as thrilling and satisfying as I had imagined.
You speak to my soul, as you do to all of us on this forum and that is a gift, which I value above evrything.
Keep well and content,
love always,
Deedee
HopeIt'sYourWill

Post by HopeIt'sYourWill » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:18 am

Dear Leonard,

It's so gratifying to see you approach your seventy-fifth birthday immersed in the unconditional love and appreciation of millions of devoted fans attending your concerts around the world! I never thought I'd have the opportunity to be among them, so I'm truly happy to say that I'll be among the throngs loving and appreciating you in Durham, NC, come November!

And, like countless others no doubt, I've written a poem for your birthday. Actually, it's more of a prayer to God, on your behalf. However, as the date nears, I find myself hesitating to send it to either of you! Does heartfelt and humorous a worthy poem make?? Maybe I'll wake up confident one morning and try to find a way to send it to you. There is a part of me that thinks you really would enjoy it ... but I may be wrong.

In the mean time, I'll simply wish you a very (heartfelt and serious) Happy Birthday, Leonard! Thanks for everything.

Peace, love, and blessings,
Louise
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:33 am

Happy Birthday Mr. Cohen!

Your music and words have enriched our married life. What a journey you take us on!

Wishing you health, happiness, peace, serenity, and many, many more years.

Thank you, thank you with all our heart,
George and Mary

(P.S. While you are in Columbus, we would like to invite you and your friends to our humble home. I'll make you a Birthday torte :D :lol: . All you have to do is PM me for directions :D )
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ronnievv

Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by ronnievv » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Dear Leonard,
I spent my youth behind the iron curtain, where „western“ music was rare, so I cannot say that you have been by my side for all my life. Nevertheless, our „first meeting“ must have been arranged by fate: my friend was returning from Poland (where much more good music was available at that time), and as he left the train round three a.m., in his compartment he forgot some records he had bought. When he found out, he called me and asked me to go meet the train in Prague and pick these up. In lieu of thanks he had let me select one of the recovered records. I did, and the title was „I’m Your Man“. Ever since then, you are…
Thanks for everything, and especially for those concerts (or should I say worships?) I had a privilege to see in these past two years. May Lord (whoever he is) be with you always, as you are with us.
All the best, Veronika from Prague
Last edited by ronnievv on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:25 pm

I thank G-D ongoingly for what youve brought to the highest and deepest part of my life. Only your own words could even get close to expressing the depth of gratitude and honor.Mine are lost somewhere in a river or a sky or in a heart breaking open. Happy birthday dear Leonard. love always. xxx Irene xxxx

Violet

Post by Violet » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 pm

This poem of mine I’d like to dedicate to Leonard on this 75th birthday..

.. to me it speaks to the writer’s private love affair involving words themselves.. or the secret meanings contained “inside” them, as if behind closed blinds.. its mention of a hotel seemed to me to be timely, given the commemoration at the Chelsea..

The knowing in these lines

I’m torn to
think you in my sights; with

all these days, these
years, these
nights,

between
undressing me in mind

and now daylight (in such hotel,

there closed
these blinds)

I pray you,