Happy Birthday, Leonard!

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
anneporter

Re: Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by anneporter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks for the infinite joy and wonder of your songs.

Happy Birthday!
Sincerely,
Anne
ines_nf

Post by ines_nf » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Dear Leonard Cohen,

Muitos Parabéns!

I'm a Portuguese fan of yours. I found your songs in the 80's during my youth. Your music filled those years when we find who we are and who we want to be. Your songs helped me growing up and were always present both in moments of loneliness and in moments of happiness.

Last 30th July I finally had the opportunity to go to your concert in Lisboa, where I live. The other times you came to Portugal I could not go to your concerts.

It was with great joy that I heard your voice come! A voice so familiar! But it was with a huge surprise that I saw you performing on stage. I had never imagined that you were so fabulous! I already knew your talent to assign music to words (beyond the musicality of poetry itself) but I didn't know your gift to assign movement/dance to words and to give time to silence (on stage). Your joy and humour (the way you leave the stage, skipping, dancing)... Your kindness when you talk to the audience and to each one of your magnificent musicians... Your smile...

I had never seen poetry dancing before!

Few times in my life I felt such happiness, such plenitude. I suppose it is the pleasure that only art can give us. It's strange to say this but it was like being there was reason enough for me to be born, justifies the fact that I was born. I had felt this before only when I had the privilege to see Pina Bausch, Bill T. Jones, Merce Cunningham and Camané (a fadista, a singer of fado; as a birthday gift I would like to offer you Camané singing "Sei de um rio"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWhCGTnvAQ ). And now, the impeccable Leonard Cohen!

I thank you for your music, for your poetry and for you concerts. I thank you for your Tour in Europe. I thank you for making so many people happy in the world and for choosing the hardiest way, the way of kindness, of love, of peace...

Happy Birthday Leonard Cohen!

All the best for you,
Inês
vidya

Post by vidya » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Dear Leonard.
I wish you a happy 75th birthday and a future with lots of love, light and harmony.
Xxx, Vidyā, Amsterdam.
tigrib

Post by tigrib » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Dear Leonard,

I feel honored that I have the opportunity (through this forum) to wish you a very happy birthday and am looking forward to the great concert event in Barcelona.

All the best to you!

Birgit
2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:36 pm

Dear Leonard,

by now you know whats coming next, its another HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D

Thanks so much for coming back to Europe to tour, I'm a new fan and was delighted to spend three weeks in July following you and the band from Liverpool to Dublin to Belfast to Lisbon and now Barcelona! Discovering your work has been great fun and a very positive experience.

Its wonderful to see you in such good health of mind, body and spirit. Long may it last.

Happy 75th Birthday and every good wish to you and yours.

Afric.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
j6ppc

Post by j6ppc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Happy Birthday Mr. Cohen.
I wish you many happy returns.

Your music and
words
have enriched my life,
and taught me
a
lesson or two.

Thank you Leonard
Bests

Jon
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Happy Birthday Leonard

And as you thank us for keeping your music alive for 40 years, we thank you and your music for keeping us so alive. :D

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Happy 75 LC! I hope the light continues to shine for a good while longer.

Keep smiling through. Keep on skipping away.

Thanks for passing by one more time for the road...and, perhaps unwittingly, answering other tiny prayers along your way.

The beat goes on.

Respect and Love

Paul
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Dear Leonard

On your birthday
I would just like to thank you
For not becoming a lawyer
For forging your own path
For going to Greece
For the music heard so deeply
For staying around
For growing old gracefully
For the marvellous tour
For your wisdom, wit and humility
For the kindred spirits met through you
For coming through the chaos
For flooding the darkness with light

All the best (as you wrote in my copy of "Let Us Compare Mythologies" when I met you in Dublin a few weeks ago).

Jonathan
Those who earnestly are lost
Are lost and lost again

1989: Hydra; 1993: Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2008: Dublin x 3; Manchester Opera House x 2; London O2; Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2009: Dublin 02 x 2; 2010: Sligo x 2; 2012: Dublin x 2; 2013: London O2; Dublin x 2; 2014: Dublin meet up
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Bonne fête Leonard Cohen it was a pleasure to see you in Fredericton last year. 1,000 kisses deep
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
PanCogito

Post by PanCogito » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Dear Leonard –

For your birthday
So much that I would give you hovers out
Of reach of my poor giving – song within
Your heart forever, faith to end all doubt,
And laughter, warm and gold, when you begin
To grow to serious, and always near,
The good companionship of trees and birds;
And always for your beauty-loving ear,
Music when you have need of it, and words
That pleasure you and rest you, softly spoken;
Unnumbered good days, peace of starry night,
And love from down to down that’s an unbroken
Deep certainty in you…..I have no right
To dream of it – but never doubt I should
Give you such birthday presents, if I could.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
YOM HULEDET SAME’ACH!
JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE!
STO LAT!
LE-CHAYYIM!

Roman (Roman Luszpak)
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Happy Birthday, Leonard.
Have a great day and a great year and give yourself a well earned holiday!
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Manna

Post by Manna » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:03 am

Dear Leonard,

Congratulations on completing an official super-majority of years of a century in this interactive realm. Three quarters, woohoo! Often when September comes, I remember hearing you say in an interview that you once considered changing your name to September. I like that, but I am glad you didn't.

I'm glad you're here. Happy Birthday!

May your coming year be filled with joy. May your fruit be sweet; may your ears be filled with kind words; may your skin be caressed; may your spirit be content; may your wallet be also content, and may you live as you would.

xoxo
Manna
CinCin

Post by CinCin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:27 am

I cannot begin to tell you how much you have come to mean to me. I have started this greeting 5 different ways, have written two poems and an essay, and for the first time in my life drawn a dirty picture. (I suppose it would be bad taste to post it here.) You have given me a name for my Higher Power. I pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and Leonard Cohen. And of Mary Fran, but that's another story.

I hope you are enjoying every single moment of the affection and adulation you are inspiring across the world.
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:16 am

Last night, I dreamt about you, Leonard, so thought I'd share it with you for your birthday. A simple dream... I was sitting in the front row for your concert. The stage was empty and you walked on alone, with a microphone in your hand, and you were singing as you walked across the stage coming from the right. I don't know what you were singing. Mesmerized and transported to other realms, as if in a trance, I just stood up and glided onto the stage to follow you. I was wearing a long, white, flowing dress.

Before I reached you, though, I realized what I'd done and where I was; so I just kept walking, circling off to my right, in the opposite direction of what you were walking, so I could get offstage as quickly, and with as little pomp and circumstance, as possible; hoping against hope that, somehow, people might think it had all been intentional and planned.

Later, I was in a car with Esther and some others, and I said, "Please tell Leonard I'm sorry... " and she just laughed and said, "Oh, don't worry...he got a kick out of it." That sounds so much like her. Apparently, feeling reassured enough to wake up, I did.

Not to worry, though... this is just a little 'birthday' story for you, and it will not happen in Ft. Lauderdale, where I'll be sitting in the front row. That is my dream come true, that you'll be so close to my home. Thank you for coming to Florida, Leonard. The dream I had last night expresses how I feel about you; however, I assure you, the dream will not come true ;-) .

I'm so relieved to hear you're feeling better, Leonard. Praying there will be no more such episodes for you. As your day approaches, another wish for a happy birthday.

Love always,
Lizzy
xoxox
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”