Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Laura

Re: Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

Post by Laura » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:33 pm

I tried to make a mosaic sample using the Cohen+2 band members photo that redstudio posted here earlier, and here is the result (sorry, I'm not posting images here anymore, too difficult):

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x199 ... tput-4.jpg

Personally, I think that image is already too complicated to be used with this technique, and you can't understand it at all in its mosaic form. I like the idea of a band members photo too, but it's just too complicated.

Laura
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Laura

Thank you once again for all your hard work. My suspicions are confirmed - the mosaic just doesn't work with a more detailed photo. The unified hearts logo is nice but in my opinion it isn't nearly as striking as the shots of Leonard on his own. If that's what works, let's go with it. As I mentioned before, I favour the shot with him touching his hat.

The only other suggestion I can make is to use one of the other tour logos but I don't think we'll find anything more distinctive than the mosaics of Leonard himself. Anyway, he won't be looking at a picture of himself; he'll be looking at all of us!!

Wendy
Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:48 pm

I posted all the samples I did for this project on the forum, but you can see them here on a better resolution: http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x199 ... 20project/ (just click on each image)

I think the background image is one of the most important parts, and the way I see it, we have these options:
1. a logo
2. a photo of Cohen
3. a combined image. Like, doing a very simple image (maybe a logo) in mosaic form, and adding on top of that some band members photos, or "happy birthday" writing, or things that are not mosaic-ed, so you can understand them properly. I have an idea or two about how that should look like, but I'll have to do some tests and post them here, probably tomorrow, and we can talk about it then.

These are my ideas; if anyone has any others, I'm waiting for suggestions.
For option 2, we'd need a good-resolution photo, a close-up or even better something like a half-of-body photo, coloured or black and white, but not with a very strong colour contrast (on areas that are very dark, the individual photos will get darkened, and you can hardly see them anymore). And not copyrighted; unfortunately the photos I used, I just picked them up from the net, and they don't belong to me. And, of course, a beautiful photo! ;-) So if you have anything like that, please say it! (or even better, post it here)

Laura
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:24 am

I'll kick off with a couple of my photos from the final O2 show last November to get the ball rolling. Hopefully they will help us to define what we're looking for. The original size is 2816 x 2112 (approx 1.2MB) each. Is this large enough? Are the photos too dark Laura? They are pretty well as I took them (without flash); I haven't got time to mess around with Photoshop!

I know there are plenty of people out there with better photos than these, and maybe higher resolution too so come on folks; don't be shy!!

Wendy
Attachments
IMG_0514_7501.jpg
IMG_0600_7502.jpg
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 am

I also prefer the picture with Leonard touching his hat . I like the idea of a shot with the band but it seems like the band picture is too busy. I also like the first photo that Wendy sent, very nice. I still must say I am really pleased at how this is progressing. Thanks for all your work Laura and Pam.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
redstudio

Post by redstudio » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:25 am

Does anyone have a good photo of Leonard performing Tower of Song? That would be a photo of Leonard on the tour yet simplified enough to carry the image. It seems like I have seen good ones somewhere here on the Forum. If not, we could try and get one from an upcoming concert- it's not too late!
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:42 am

Speaking as a keen amateur photographer, it is very difficult to get a good shot of Leonard performing Tower of Song for three reasons: the light is usually quite low, it is bathed in deep blue and last but not least, the mike & stand are firmly in front of his lower face & body at all times.

I'm going to take a data stick with me to work and look through some more photos when I have a minute but I'm sure other people must have shots which are better for the job than mine!

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actually

Post by Actually » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:13 am

How did you sneak the camera in? :o
And those photos are amazing!
Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:22 am

Hi everyone.

Very nice photos, Wendy, I like them!

I must admit I am a bit unhappy right now, though. I've been trying to think of alternatives. I like the idea of a mosaic, where we can all take part, I just wonder if Cohen would like to see a picture of himself all he time (yeah, I know, WE would!). But I don't know what else it could be. Any ideas?

Laura
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Actually wrote:How did you sneak the camera in? :o
That would be telling! But seriously, in my experience cameras have not been a problem at any of the LC shows since late June last year. Even the NAC in Ottawa tolerated cameras at Leonard's shows this year!

I would like to think I had some hand in that. It happened at the third show at the Manchester Opera House. Leonard & the band were on stage. The staff were roaming around the auditorium stopping people from taking photographs and one of them actually SHOUTED "no photographs" across the auditorium during the show, whilst Leonard was singing. I saw red! In the interval I sought out the theatre manager and complained long and loud that his staff were interrupting the show and were much more of a distraction than camera flashes were. We think theatre management spoke to tour management and the staff were withdrawn for the second half of the show. Since then there has been quite a light touch to security at all the shows I have been at. I even sat next to Rob Hallett of AEG at the Brighton show and he did not seem remotely bothered by my small digital camera.

Video is another matter altogether. They look out for the little red lights and send security off to put an end to filming immediately.

Wendy
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:25 am

Laura,
I agree with you that the background of the image needs to be simple as the mosaic of detailed backgrounds seems to reduce the clarity and impact of the image of the Man himself. Would it be worth considering an image with a Black background , where the mosaic is only used to make up the images of Leonard.
I took the attached photo in Dublin.
Attachments
IMG_3049-copy-B-Gif.gif
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
redstudio

Post by redstudio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:11 am

I learned the program to help figure out a good image. Here is Irish Al's Cohen head. If we keep at it we will find a beauty. We already have some very good ones.Pam
irishal.jpg
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am

I would probably like to create a mosaic of images showing the "Unified Hearts" or the whole band ... not the image of Leonardo, I do not want to get their own birthday portrait.
Still, I think we could do a mosaic and video ... ;-)
A mosaic of some size will depend on the number of people who are involved in this action, right? Just in time, please let know whether I can do the appropriate photograph (I do not like photographing themselves :) )
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:40 am

Do we have a problem with copyright if we use the Unified Hearts logo?

Wendy
Judy

Post by Judy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Laura wrote:Hi everyone.

Very nice photos, Wendy, I like them!

I must admit I am a bit unhappy right now, though. I've been trying to think of alternatives. I like the idea of a mosaic, where we can all take part, I just wonder if Cohen would like to see a picture of himself all he time (yeah, I know, WE would!). But I don't know what else it could be. Any ideas?

Laura
I wonder as well, whether LC would like to see himself all the time. The Unified Hearts logo sounds the best idea up to now, that is if a photo of the final line up (Whither Thou Goest) isn't possible ... would it be possible to turn such a photo into silhoulette form ?

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”