Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
redstudio

Re: POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

Post by redstudio »

I like the idea of the mosaic as long as we can find an overall image that is something he would really like to look at. Maybe Lorca or Anjani would know what that might be. A cool photo taken from the world tour or something meditative like a mandala.
I think we should do the video as well. He has given us all so much.
Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
Laura

Post by Laura »

Marie: the photos for video and mosaic would have to be totally different anyway, not just in size (for mosaic, they would be really tiny; probably no more than 2.5x3cm, something like an ID card photo), but also in content; I suppose a video photo would be something funny, or a message, while a mosaic one would be a portrait.
I made a few tries tonight, I'll attach them. It seem to me the background photo should be something very simple and very recognisable. (the mosaic photos are rather unclear in my tries because I just grabbed whatever I had on my HD, no portraits there)

Laura
Attachments
output.jpg
output.jpg
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I actually LIKE the 'b&w' one. It is 'more Leonard' ~ so would we send a b&w photo of us?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Laura,

Well done and very impressive! Personally I love the first photo of Leonard (the colour one where he is standing holding the beads in his hands), but the b&w is my second choice. Great work!

Still looking forward to the someone who might be able to do the video...seems like Marie has an individual in mind!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Laura,

Fantastic work! I prefer the first photo. Pam mentioned getting Lorca's or Anjani's opinion. I am thinking, why not a photo of something that is important to him and has been a constant throughout his adult life (no, not Fred) - his children, Lorca and Adam. Would he prefer to look at a mosaic of himself or a mosaic of children?

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Laura

Thank you so much for doing these (and Maarten, for his first go). Like Mary, I prefer the first photo. As a fan based group, I do not think it is appropriate for us to venture in to Leonard's private life and therefore I think it should be a photo of Leonard himself or something closely associated with his public life, such as one of his drawings. How about the unified hearts logo? Could you work that in to a mosaic?

BTW I voted for the mosaic over the video but I am all for doing both if we can.

Wendy
margaret

Post by margaret »

Laura, great work!

For the image used though I feel as a few others do that it is more appropriate to use something other than a photo of our man himself. The unified heart logo, maybe the newer one with the hands? Or the bird on a branch from the cover of Book of Longing? Or how about the logo from The Future album with the bird, heart and handcuffs?

Margaret
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Brilliant work Laura ... The last one you sent is my favourite I think. I notice about 55 people have voted but I am sure many more would submit photos and it really would not matter too much what size (I think) as long as they are all in the same format as presumably you could re-scale them easily (or send detailed instructions to all of us so we can do that before sending them) ... what creative people there are here!!!!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Kanga

Post by Kanga »

I prefer the first 2 colour ones. I didn't think the last one was instantly recognisable as Leonard and I prefered the pictures without so much contrast
2008 17 Jul - O2, London; 17 Nov - RAH, London; 22 Nov - NEC, Birmingham
2009 11 Jul - MB World, Weybridge
2012 9 Sept - Wembley Arena, London
Laura

Post by Laura »

I must confess that I'm really enjoying this... This mosaic program is fun.

I did a few more tries; one using a drawing-made-after-a-photo as a background, and one using a logo (I'll post it in the next message, the photo attach here keeps giving me errors). Margaret, I really like the way it comes out with a logo. Only problem is that I have no idea where to find out a good logo photo (really good resolution, I mean). If I can't find any, I supposed I can re-draw the Unified Hearts myself; but birds and dancers are rather beyond me.

Paul: you're right. Not all photos have to be the same size. I actually used whatever I had around, all sort of sizes; the program knows to scale them. As long as they are neither tiny nor huge it seems ok. But they have to be all the same proportion, otherwise they get cropped awkwardly (I used the most common proportion for a camera photo).

Question: how big should this poster be, any ideas? The bigger the whole thing is, the bigger the individual photos will be. For example, I made the logo 75x75cm (imagine a square on your bedroom door, with sides almost equal with the width of the door; that's the size I mean), and the resulting individual photos are almost too small (2x2.7cm, less than my ID card photo). I think just a bit bigger would be better (and rectangle, not square), but not too huge.

Laura
Attachments
output-mic.jpg
Last edited by Laura on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura

Post by Laura »

and the other photo...
Attachments
output.jpg
Last edited by Laura on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanga

Post by Kanga »

I like the photo - but I still think a picture with a lot of variation in colour and shade would be better.

Where there are blocks of colour like the unified hearts it looks as if the program is picking up the same few photos many times.
2008 17 Jul - O2, London; 17 Nov - RAH, London; 22 Nov - NEC, Birmingham
2009 11 Jul - MB World, Weybridge
2012 9 Sept - Wembley Arena, London
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

I like the idea of the unified hearts logo, but so far the more complex photo images look better. One could make a "collage" in photoshop by scanning symbols from CD covers, books, posters etc.. at a high resolution.
How about using a photo of the whole band in concert? I think Leonard might like that. It would be a nice remembrance of the tour.
Laura, if you need help cropping and resizing images that come to you in the wrong proportion I can help with that.
Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Pam,

I love your idea of the whole band in concert. After all, he will be with the band on his 75th - what an appropriate remembrance of that day.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Laura

Post by Laura »

Kanga-the program does tend to pick the same photo more times, unless it's forced not to do that. I had forgotten to set that up. I replaced that sample with a picture where there isn't a photo repetition anymore (I checked!)
Redstudio-thank you very much for the offer. Let's see if this is the voted version and how many people would like to take part in it.

Laura

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”