Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
jeremek

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Post by jeremek » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:35 pm

I thank Dick you showed us the project. Do I hope that we will be able to participate in every next step? even virtually :)
fine table, great contents

with the greeting
Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
loulou

Post by loulou » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:58 pm

this idea is just inspired & perfect !
I would humbly like to particpate in honouring Leonard in this way too and and will do the paypal thing forthwith !

loulou from london xxx

update : paypal thingy, done !
desire the horse
depression the cart
dick

Post by dick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks all

I like lady di's suggestion about oct --- but that detail will have to await final decision.

No more funds needed I am confident, but would like to have as large a list of participants that we can get!

Dick
sue7

Post by sue7 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:43 pm

ladydi wrote: Might the installation be sometime close to October 23rd????
What a great idea, Diana. Another special event to be patient about... :)
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Dick it looks really good. Thanks for doing this.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
MusicCityGypsy

Post by MusicCityGypsy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 pm

is it too late to donate some money and get our names on the list? LOVE IT! it's beautiful wonder if there is any room for a fedora hat image on there? :) ha
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:15 am

Dick,

What a class act on the plaque! Well done!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 am

Dick wrote:Thanks all

I like lady di's suggestion about oct --- but that detail will have to await final decision.

No more funds needed I am confident, but would like to have as large a list of participants that we can get!

Dick
Leonard will play New York at Madison Square Garden on October 23.....

Just a thought!

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
suburban.hornbag

Post by suburban.hornbag » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:47 am

Absolutely love the plaque!

I am wondering though like someone else mentioned a few pages back, whether the word 'commemoration' should be changed to 'celebration'?

I'm not sure but perhaps I have the wrong meaning of commemorate in my head but it always implies to me that it's in memory of someone/something in the past.
dick

Post by dick » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:29 am

I still prefer commemorate -- the plaque will last forever! We are honoring and preserving the occasion of Leonard's 75th birthday.

Google didn't help much, but I think the usage in this article on last year's flooding in Iowa makes my point. To celebrate, we all get together and cheer. To commemorate, we provide a lasting tribute.

Feel free to post or email or pm me if you see something official that says you can't commemorate a special occasion for a living person. I also think that people graduating and retiring and marrying are given mementos to commemorate the occasion.

Gazette Editorial (iowa)
Commemorate or celebrate. As we mark the anniversary of the flood of 2008 this week, there are good reasons to do both.

Our collective memory banks overflow with the amazing images produced as the Cedar River rapidly rose and then crested in Cedar Rapids on June 13 at 31.1 feet - an incredible 11 feet more than the previous record. Boats navigating downtown streets and neighborhoods, plucking people and pets from precarious perches. Thousands of homes and businesses inundated with water and muck as high as their second stories. Dozens of public buildings and water and sewer infrastructure heavily damaged.

Certainly, the trials and heroic efforts of victims and helpers during those dark days must be remembered,
appreciated - commemorated.
Thankfully, no human life was lost to the flood. Volunteerism and resilience poured out. Remember when 1,000-plus turned out to sandbag and save the city’s last operating well? Or staff’s calm evacuation of patients at Mercy Medical Center?

As the reality of what happened to us settled in over the next several months, challenges for residents and public employees often seemed overwhelming. Endless mucking, gutting and piles of debris along streets. Getting a disabled sewage treatment plant back on line - a public-private effort completed in just 12 weeks. A still-new form of city government struggling to respond and effectively communicate with a complicated maze of federal regulations.So much work has been done. So much remains. Many people, businesses still are hurting, fighting to thrive.

But we can celebrate our resilience and real progress that is unfolding every day. We must keep our eye on the goal of rebuilding better than ever.Take time to remember and to celebrate. We need to do both
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:40 am

Hi Dick,
It is a beautiful plaque and I second MaryB's use of the word class-it has it all. I also agree on the appropriateness of "commemorate." I hope that you are able to secure a good location for it and look forward to seeing it with you and Linda at some future date. Thanks so much to you, Marie & Jarkko for organizing this.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:59 am

Dick (and Linda, 'cause I'm sure she interfered... She is a woman after all :-)),
Great job and a perfect plaque for a perfect occasion!
Thanks a million for organizing this!!!

Greetings from Belgium,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Kush

Post by Kush » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:26 am

I thought it was "I remember you well in Chelsea Hotel" no?
rather than "I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel". I could be wrong though..havent heard it in years...

p.s. well I just got it out and heard it again and am positive he sings "I remember you well in Chelsea Hotel" on the studio recording (and it sounded very good too hearing it after a long time!). Dont know if it is different on a Live recording...
donalagata

Post by donalagata » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:16 am

Hello Dick,
So it sounds like the Paque is almost completed. Is there a draft posted somewhere because some of the post sound like some people have viewed something. When will we get to see the completed project? I am so excited for this to be presented to Leonard.
Thank You,
donalagata
Kush

Post by Kush » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:54 am

On second listening I may be wrong maybe he just gets "the" in there briefly...ignore previous post! :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”