POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

What would you prefer for the fan greeting to Leonard on his 75th birthday?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:07 am

Mosaic
69%
Video
31%

Total votes: 75
MarieM

POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

Post by MarieM »

Jarkko kindly reminded me of the poll option on the board. So, here's your chance to vote on the fan birthday greeting for Leonard.

This is the mosaic sample:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14614&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p171755

This is the video sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQMKmCp-wS4
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Paula

Re: POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

Post by Paula »

They are both good ideas but I think the mosaic is the most practical.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I voted video as it would get some publicity on Youtube. I believe the mosaic is purely insider's stuff, from us to Leonard, to be published only at The Files? I liked that example video, would be nice to see such a thing, maybe even posted on his official channel. In any case we can get it online thru Marie's (speakingcohen) or mine (a1000kissesdeep) channel.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

I've cast my vote for the mosaic; however, Tom has a point that the video would receive wider coverage, and of course would be something we could all go back to time and time again to view. But then this IS a gift to Leonard. If we do the video also, we would have to select one of Leonard's longest songs (maybe ALL the verses to Hallelujah :D ) in order to splice everyone in for a few seconds!
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

ladydi wrote:I've cast my vote for the mosaic; however, Tom has a point that the video would receive wider coverage, and of course would be something we could all go back to time and time again to view. But then this IS a gift to Leonard. If we do the video also, we would have to select one of Leonard's longest songs (maybe ALL the verses to Hallelujah :D ) in order to splice everyone in for a few seconds!
Should the video option be chosen would it not be possible to do a few songs (we could do some more voting on what songs exactly!) and put them together to make a say 10 min video? Possibly too long I know but we could get everyone in then.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Paula

Post by Paula »

Tom you have a good point now I am sitting on the fence :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I voted for video because I'm with Tom on the fact that it would get more exposure on YouTube and probably would be put up at LC's official site. Also, maybe we could contact Leonard's management and/or concert technicians and they could somehow project the video as a surprise to Leonard, before the Sept 21 show, or during intermission?? Could be a long shot, but maybe not!!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Laura »

I don't understand so well; if we do the video, do you mean to say that all of us must get filmed? How am I supposed to do that? (besides the fact that I hate getting filmed)

Laura
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Laura,

You would only need to provide a still photo. Most folks will feature themselves holding up a word. But as you can see from the video, some folks chose to photograph their feet with the word or display the word in some other fashion. The still photos are then run together to make the video.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thank you, Marie. This is a bit easier. I can happily give my feet to Leonard. ;-)

Laura
margaret

Post by margaret »

Laura,
He could have my heart and your "sole" :)
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

I voted for the video, even though we'd have a hard time picking which song we're gonna create this way. In my opinion, the harder what we do is, the stronger our love and care seems to be. We might find it difficult to make the video, but it will be a much more satisfying result and it's worth it. (In my opinion -always). :D :)
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

I voted for the video because it sounds more interesting and versatile than mosaic. If picking song is problem, what about if we would try to write our own praise song for Leonard? (Maybe that is far harder but I think our birthday boy would really appreciate it.) We`d think together what we want to tell him and some music expert would compose and play it. While song our pictures with little greetings (like: Happy Birthday The Prophet of My Heart!) would run like that example video.
But what we ever decide to do, I am along with my whole heart! :D
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior »

Why does it have to be one or the other? Are two birthday greetings not feasible?
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

It is also in favor of the view Dream Warrior 8) .. if you'll send photos, each will send two, with one word and one without words, and when they find two skilled people, it could be done as a mosaic, so the video ;-) ... but if I had to choose and vote for the mosaic...
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”