No songs from Dear Heather?

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
flytomars

No songs from Dear Heather?

Post by flytomars »

Hi folks,
I dont know if this has been discussed here before-
But isnt it strange that the tour that bears the Dear Heather logo, has no songs from this album?
(or at least the logo that appears in the booklet, did it first appear here or in the book of longing?)
AFAIK, this is LC last album to date, and usually artists showcase their last album in a tour...
What is the story behind this album anyway? it is very minimal, (reminds me of As Close As This by Peter Hammill), some of the songs here just scream "live rendition" with a real band over the midi sax / guitar solos...
Was it not performed because LC doesnt like it? the audience doesnt like it? both? neither?
Personally, I really like this album though it took some time for it to grow on me and for me to get over the sparse arrangements...
LisaLCFan

Re: No songs from Dear Heather?

Post by LisaLCFan »

Well, since I haven't chatted with Leonard about this ( ;-) ), I obviously can't give you a definite answer, but to respond to your note that artists usually showcase their latest album on a tour, well, that is fine if they want to sell the records (which is usually why most artists tour, to promote the latest album), but Leonard is not just any artist, and this is not just any tour! I like to think of this tour as Leonard's gift to his fans (and our going to the shows being our gift to Leonard), and perhaps he decided that the best gift he could give would be the songs that people have loved for so long. I heard/read an interview with him somewhere, dating back maybe 20 or 25 years, and when asked about playing new material at concerts, Leonard responded that he liked to do that, but everyone in the crowd would yell for "Suzanne." Of course, he can't please everyone, and people still yell for songs that aren't on the setlist, such as "Joan of Arc" which was repeatedly yelled at a concert I attended. But all in all, this tour has been amazingly successful, and the chosen setlist has been very well received! (If he had played for another hour, he could have added some newer tunes!)

Nonetheless, I do agree that some of the Dear Heather tracks would have been lovely to hear live, and maybe on Leonard's next tour (to promote his (hopefully) upcoming new album!), he will do some smaller gigs (for we diehard fans!) and highlight the newer albums! We can hope!

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”