CONCERT REPORT: Tel Aviv, September 24

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Tel Aviv, Israel, Ramat Gan Stadium 9/24/09

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for your beautiful report, Sharon.e and, even in its brevity, Nurit. If you only knew how happy I am for all of you... for being there, at this concert that was meant to be.

I want to join you in you've said, Sheila, so am repeating it:
This thread is so moving.

...as are the reviews and that outstanding YouTube video of Hallelujah...
Leonard's generosity, sense of fairness, and determination is matched by the activists from The Parents Circle. It is not hard to be a pacifist when you live in a country at peace, but to commit to peace when your family has been killed in a war that continues still, is both humbling and inspiring.

Leonard must be so happy for what he gave and received at the Tel Aviv concert.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

To the Tel Aviv concert goers - if you lit those thin green candles to make us jealous of you, well it worked! What an amazing night.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

Even though most of us are experiencing this concert vicariously, it's still amazingly palpable when we get such great reports like those of Augusta and sharon.e. Thanks to everyone who has been keeping us up to date.

I've only had a chance to see Leonard in concert once, but it easily stands out as the best I've ever experienced. I can only imagine how many share that sentiment after having such a long wait be fulfilled tonight. What a blessing to be alive to witness all of this.
Will... If It Be Your Will
flytomars

Post by flytomars »

I am sorry, I know I promised to write a full review of the show,
But at the moment, the only thing I have to say about it is "PERFECT" :D
I will try to elaborate on it tomorrow, but all posts before me are much fuller in detail-
All I can say at the moment is "WOW".
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I posted links for video from "evilcronos" above - and he/she has added a number of other videos that you can watch by clicking "More from evilcronos."

BUT - I just watched this one and thought I would post it because it is striking! A short video clip showing an ocean of people leaving Ramat Gan Stadium.

leonard cohen in israel - The audience leaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u73xN3gfeJ8
Patrycja

Re: Cohen's Tel Aviv concert a plea for peace

Post by Patrycja »

Thanks for posting this, Sirius. FYI for anyone trying: the video does not work via the link in the article provided, but it does in a new window. Well worth viewing. Very moving.

EDIT: Either I've had a brain cramp and posted this in the wrong place or Sirius' link has disappeared. Anyway, here's what I was referring to:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2009 ... cohen.html
Last edited by Patrycja on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will... If It Be Your Will
Habie

Post by Habie »

It's 4 in the morning, the end of September, here in London town I'm drunk on fatigue and elation, but I just had to add to this thread : Leonard, toda raba, thank you, merci from the bottom of all our hearts.

So astonishing that Leonard can be at the same time a man of love, of truth, of lust, of sorrow, of joy, AND a man of peace and reconciliation.

So amazing that one single person can combine qualities so rare in a single body : humility, heart, soul, intelligence, sexual magnetism, warmth, love, friendship, simplicity, complexity, honour, sensuality, seriousness, wit, wisdom and the ability to communicate all of the above to people of every type from aged 3 months (hello, little Or).

So touching that after 2 years on the road, Dino is still moved to tweet that he's proud to be with Pops.

I just had a pleasant thought : thinking of Leonard, how he might be feeling right now, I imagine him joyous and proud at the amount of love he has given and received lately; I imagine him going home to the warm embrace of Anjani, and Adam and Lorca and his sister and so many others, knowing at some deep level that if he ever hoped his life would touch other lives, have a purpose beyond poetry and pleasure, then now he knows it does, and continues to evolve with ever more resonance and meaning.

Leonard is, to paraphrase Orson Welles, Some Kind of a Man. I always knew that - even when he, and I, were much younger, and people scoffed at my adoration of a man often dismissed as nothing but a gloomy womaniser. Feh! What do they know?!

Now, if only our woeful 'World Leaders' at the UN summit could summon up some humility and wisdom, wouldn't that be grand...?

Love to all, Shana Tova beautiful Leonard,
Habie x
mutti

Post by mutti »

I am so touched by all these posts and photos about the concert.
I am overwhelmed with emotion...
First Barcelona and now this beautiful graceful event in Israel...and the prayers and blessings and green lights
and amazing trust being set up...
What a blessing of a man Leonard is...
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Exquisite on all levels, Habie. Eloquent.
I imagine him going home to the warm embrace of Anjani, and Adam and Lorca and his sister and so many others, knowing at some deep level that if he ever hoped his life would touch other lives, have a purpose beyond poetry and pleasure, then now he knows it does, and continues to evolve with ever more resonance and meaning.
You've said it all so beautifully and well.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
seadove

The Ramat Gan concert - in three words:

Post by seadove »

FAN
seadove

Re: The Ramat Gan concert - in three words:

Post by seadove »

TAS
seadove

Post by seadove »

TIC!!!
seadove

Post by seadove »

With such simplicity and yet in a shrewd way Leonard Cohen literally "took" Ramat Gan. Oh yes, he knows that we love him, you can see that in his eyes. It's like his team is playing football in his home town, and the crowds went literally mad with extasy. He felt at home, he was ever so relaxed and seemed to be enjoying himself. Whenever he left the stage he left it with a childish hopping and jumping, like as if he is jumping in his grandmother's bed while on a visit. ;-)

I was sitting in area number 14 in the end. My daughters insisted that I sit in better seats, they say that's because I invented Leonard Cohen, as so they gave me block number 14 while they sat in block 17. But as I looked around I told my wife "My G-d almight, I am not alone! Look at all the audience here. All eager and hungry to listen to the Cohen Hagadol.

And BTW the sound was exquisite, much to my surprise. We all had a little green illumination candlestick which we waved with a frenzy. I bet he will write a song about that. Lol. ;-)

And he gave us more than three hours, he sang songs that I didn't even know them, other songs that are not normally in his concert lists. Fantastic!

And at the end of the concert he blessed us with the Cohen blessings that only a Cohen can do that.

siempie1956

Post by siempie1956 »

Thanks all for the reactions to my Tweets during yesterday's concert.
Here some reports from the local press:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 83,00.html

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... e/ShowFull

on a personal note:

Despite inadequate sound and video systems, nothing could spoil this magic night. After all the songs, dances and short speeches (some of them in Hebrew....) and after being called back again and again, The Master stood in quiet in front of us, spread his arms (as per tradition) and gave us the Blessing of the Priest. Please note that 'priest' in Hebrew is... cohen..and the Great Priest was the 'cohen hagadol', translated back as "the Great Cohen"... do I need to say more? It was indeed The Great Cohen who blessed us with his songs, music and wisdom and I was just lucky enough to be there.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

How could anyone have not wanted this concert to happen? The only political cause exhibited would have been the facilitation of peace through his music and his generosity. People can be so short sighted by their own agendas and miss the big picture.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”