CONCERT REPORT: Granada, September 13

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
burningviolin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Granada, September 13

Post by burningviolin »

timinio wrote:Leonard could sing to me through 2 paper cups tied with string and i wouldnt complain!.

Brilliant sentence! I wouldn't mind it either only I'd hope the string wouldn't be very long...!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
aleluya

Post by aleluya »

I was at the Atarfe concert on 13 October. I saw Leonard in Manchester and Glasgow and these were so good we decided to have a short break in Granada and take in the concert. I think the performance was up to the usual excellent standard but the venue was hopeless. The sound was terrible because the bull ring is round (!) and has a metal roof, so lots of echo and boom. I was also surprised that many people chatted all the way through the concert- is this a Spanish custom? The seats were wooden chairs on the bullring floor so the view was limited if you were near the back. I agree with other comments that it took until about half way through the second part to get any feel for the occasion, and by this time we had moved nearer the stage and were standing in an aisle. We went to Atarfe early with the intention of having something to eat but found a place not prepared for a concert of this kind- nowhere to eat and only a couple of bars. The venue is in a sad location with derelict factory units. There was only one stall selling food outside the venue and no food inside. I couln't believe that the infrastructure was so limited. I live in Manchester UK and if there is a big event here there will always be foodsellers around and people making the most of the occasion. Finally, I think it was misleading to bill this as Leonard in Granada, because Granada is a great city to visit with a fascinating history. Atarfe is a poor suburb and offered not much to the thousands of people who had travelled a long way to see a great artist at work. It felt like a rip off and I'm sure Leonard would not want fans to feel that way. Sorry for the negative energy but I feel better now.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

bridger15 wrote:Entering the ring on this topic of brutality in a concert venue,
I suppose you haven't attended many NHL Hockey games in hockey arenas. Sometimes the benches empty, there are 30 brawling men on the ice and there can be blood shed.
I have, several times - and I've seen blood spilt! The distinction I draw is that the NHL guys have a choice whether to go into the arena or not and they are paid a handsome amount by way of danger money!

Wendy
bkmccalla

Post by bkmccalla »

thank you, wendy. i'm relieved to see i'm not the only one who failed to appreciate the analogy between innocent bulls being slaughtered for entertainment and hockey players beating up EACH OTHER for no apparent reason.

i look forward, again, to meeting you in vegas.

warm regards,
bonnie
1970, 1983, 1988, 1993/Lyon July 9/Bruges July 10/Amsterdam July 12/Lisbon July 19/Nice July 22/Lucca July 27/Rome July 28/Athens July 30/Beacon February 19/Oakland April 13, 14, 15/Kingston May 22/London May 24/Ottawa May 25, 26/Red Rocks June 4/Las Vegas November 12/San Jose November 13/Las Vegas December 2011 x2/San Jose November 2012/Oakland March 2, 3 2013...i've obviously lost my mind...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

bkmccalla wrote:i'm not the only one who failed to appreciate the analogy between innocent bulls being slaughtered for entertainment and hockey players beating up EACH OTHER for no apparent reason.
I guess I am more concered about the harmful effect such a display of aggressive behaviour has on innocent children. These highly paid, pampered and idolized hockey bulls have a responiblity to behave as role models for thousands of young people who watch the games in person and on Television. Their pugilistic episodes are harmful to the emotional development of the young, especially egregious in this current climate of adolescent trigger-happy rage with deadly consequences.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
tsipouras

Post by tsipouras »

hello to everyone! in my opinion the Granada concert was awesome. I agree that the venue was not appropriate,and that it was not exactly in Granada, but the crowd was really enthusiastic and singing all the way through. :D :D I don't know about the chatting since where I was sitting everyone was paying attention to Leonard. :neutral: Favorite moment was when everyone stood up and went at the front after the 1st encore. The atmosphere was really amazing. Everybody Knows, Suzanne, Take this Waltz and First we Take Manhattan were all highlights. :!:

I 've been to Athens last year, and although Leonard was differently connected to the city, I thing the audience in Granada was better. :idea:

and a little video i managed to take:

[The Gypsy's Wife]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JsfizRrh9k

Really hope Leonard releases an album after this tour, and continues! He is truly unique, and this tour shows he's got a lot to give.

ts
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

tsipouras wrote:hello to everyone! in my opinion the Granada concert was awesome. I agree that the venue was not appropriate,and that it was not exactly in Granada, but the crowd was really enthusiastic and singing all the way through. :D :D I don't know about the chatting since where I was sitting everyone was paying attention to Leonard. :neutral: Favorite moment was when everyone stood up and went at the front after the 1st encore. The atmosphere was really amazing. Everybody Knows, Suzanne, Take this Waltz and First we Take Manhattan were all highlights. :!:

I 've been to Athens last year, and although Leonard was differently connected to the city, I thing the audience in Granada was better. :idea:

and a little video i managed to take:

[The Gypsy's Wife]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JsfizRrh9k

Really hope Leonard releases an album after this tour, and continues! He is truly unique, and this tour shows he's got a lot to give.

ts
Hi tsipouras. I was just coming over to this thread to post your video ("The Gypsy's Wife") that I found on YouTube. It is just wonderful!! Thank you!

I wish I had been there. Lucky you!!

(p.s. Please - do you have any more ... video ...??? :lol: :lol: :lol: )
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Brilliant video, thank you so much.....and apart from the great visuals,what jumps out is just how good the sound is! Such a contrast to where I started the concert at row 13 and even at the back beside the sound desk (which was better but nothing like that). I rushed up for the encores and do recollect the sound being very good up there but wasn't sure with most of my focus on drinking in those life long visuals whether I had simply dreamed that the sound was very good up there. Turns out it was. Thaks again...
timinio

Post by timinio »

tsipouras,fantastic..we were there too..great video,we watched it over and over all afternoon,any more? kind regards tim and adele
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

tsipouras,

Have you been taking lessons from IrishAl ;-) :D ? This is an amazingly good video! The clarity is so very crisp and what a steady hand. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
tsipouras

Post by tsipouras »

Have you been taking lessons from IrishAl ? This is an amazingly good video! The clarity is so very crisp and what a steady hand. Thank you!
tsipouras,fantastic..we were there too..great video,we watched it over and over all afternoon,any more? kind regards tim and adele
Brilliant video, thank you so much.....and apart from the great visuals,what jumps out is just how good the sound is! Such a contrast to where I started the concert at row 13 and even at the back beside the sound desk (which was better but nothing like that). I rushed up for the encores and do recollect the sound being very good up there but wasn't sure with most of my focus on drinking in those life long visuals whether I had simply dreamed that the sound was very good up there. Turns out it was. Thaks again...
Hi tsipouras. I was just coming over to this thread to post your video ("The Gypsy's Wife") that I found on YouTube. It is just wonderful!! Thank you!

I wish I had been there. Lucky you!!

(p.s. Please - do you have any more ... video ...??? )
thank you! i m glad you all enjoyed the video!! the sound was really good in the front, that's true. unfortunately i don't have any more videos from the concert :(
however i have some pics which i will post tonight :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

If the photos are anything like your videos, they will be phenomenal - eagerly waiting!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
tsipouras

Post by tsipouras »

the pictures as promised ;-) i hope you like them!

just download the zip file from the following link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/287502867/L ... 9.rar.html
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

tsipouras -

Thanks for posting the pictures and the video - I really enjoyed them.

I've had the pleasure of visiting Granada in late summer 2005 and would have loved to have gone back again for the concert, but finances would not permit it. Still hope to get back again someday...........

MIke
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”