Venue in Bucharest has been changed

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Venue in Bucharest has been changed

Post by jarkko »

Marie found this:

http://life.hotnews.ro/stiri-showbiz-60 ... -soter.htm

Concert Leonard Cohen moves Stadium Youth - Iolanda Balas Soter
by Cosmin Navadaru HotNews.ro
Thursday, August 27, 2009, 19:38 Life | Showbiz

GOOGLE TRANSLATION

Leonard Cohen will not sing in Constitution Square concert on September 4 was moved to Stadium Youth - Iolanda Balas Soter, inform the organizers. Measure was taken because of the existence Tuborg Green Fest festival, scheduled to start everything on September 4, just 500 meters away from the place where he had to sing Leonard Cohen. "We can not risk, in Constitution Square, as everywhere Hallelujah and Dance Me To The End Of Love to hear an entire music festival in Park Izvor", say those in Events. "The two shows can coexist without problems, answer Tuborg Green Fest organizers.

Starting on August 28, ticket holders can see ticketing sites to verify the new configuration of seats. Visibility locations will be maintained, depending on the category of ticket purchased but, due to the configuration of this new place, the location will be slightly different sectors. Spectators can check the map, which will be available starting on August 28, http://www.ticketpoint.ro sites, http://www.eventim.ro, http://www.bilete.ro and http://www.blt.ro.

Leonard Cohen concert organizers Position

"Leonard Cohen's concerts to listen with your hand on her lips to keep quiet, with eyes closed to taste the atmosphere. Simply can not risk, in Constitution Square, as everywhere Hallelujah and Dance Me To The End Of Love to hear an entire music festival in the park fountain.

We are deeply disappointed that Tuborg, until now one of the known supporters of music in Romania, has chosen to organize the event on the same day and so close to Cohen's concert, demonstrating a lack of elementary respect for thousands of spectators. The festival was announced on July 22, after almost three months from the sale of tickets for the concert of Leonard Cohen (May 5).

The solutions proposed by Tuborg and Emag, producer of the festival, after weeks of negotiations, namely the orientation of the scenes and sound systems in different directions are unrealistic. Discussions with representatives of City Hall in terms of capital put back slots of the two concerts have led, unfortunately, to no avail. We do not know if this is the result of negligence or indifference of the two companies, but out of respect for music and the audience, I decided to change location to have a concert under optimal conditions, "said Sorina Burlacu, General Events.

Rob Hallet, President of AEG Live International, the tour's international promoter Leonard Cohen: "Silence is an unattainable goal at a beer festival ... even without the contest live music, people come there to have fun and do not ever in silence. We have agreed that Leonard Cohen to come to Bucharest and, therefore, can not support an exceptional show, just as it does in any other part of the world ".

Last autumn, Canadian artist celebrated birthday in the cheers of ten thousand Romanian fans in a special concert, held with the house closed. "We know fans a message most of them will see the concert for the second time. They know that Cohen's music, romantic, dark and poetic, even with speakers within data can not coexist with an event that" the fundamental principles are the explosive live shows, quality beer and nonconformist attitude. "We regret that this time the beer beat poetry", says Sorina Burlacu.

The official reaction from festival organizers and producers of Tuborg Green Fest

Laura Coroianu, CEO Emag: "We are sad that another organizer of concerts choose this way to mask their problems and create a false image among the media and the public. We have made our company the technical details and I Events discussed with its representatives and the Bucharest municipality all these details, local officials are also finding that the two shows can coexist without problems. To not get into a useless controversy, as producers of Tuborg Green Fest and the market leaders in the field organization of concerts, we believe the best response to such unfounded accusations is to let the experts speak. Mr. Cristian Singer, director of Paradigm Group, the company that provided the technical production of Leonard Cohen's first show in Romania, can provide all those interested necessary arguments. "

Cristian Singer, director of Paradigm Group: "In the show's sutinut artist last year in the capital (the company produced all Events), the stage was located at a distance of about 50 meters from one of the most circulated and congested intersections in Bucharest, a nodal point for transport in the capital. Noise in an intersection is also a much higher decibel level than any hypothetical reflection of sound from the location Tuborg Green Fest.

The second scene was located at a distance of approximately 600 m each other, the scene Tuborg Green Fest was placed back to the other scene, to prevent any acoustic signal transmission to the Constitution Square. Between the two locations there was a natural barrier, the Palace of Parliament building and a wooded hill of 18m, which blocks any direct light between the two locations. The sound is addressed to the most distant point on the purpose of the park, so there is a very small echo of the structure of the buildings, most of which are located at 300/400 m distance from the scene. Taking into account wind direction and orientation, but strong winds can come back and redirect the sound from one scene to the other, but in this case none of the two events could no longer take place, that would have meant bad weather.

As a conclusion, there was not any chance that the sound of the two scenes to interfere. As part of last year's concert production of Leonard Cohen can ensure that noise adjacent to the location was not higher than this year Rugby Stadium, a stadium located near the traffic very noisy, with trams, buses and numerous cars passing very small remote location.

Doron Zilberstein, Vice President Marketing URBB: "Our company has chosen to organize Emag Tuborg Green Fest, a festival of international stature, just for the professionalism that an industry leader we can guarantee a large scale event. At our turn, we want to assure participants of the festival that will be made for their comfort. We also regret that manifest such statements, both from our side, the organizers and producers of Tuborg Green Fest, and the Events have been necessary and caused due to reasons totally unfounded ".
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Okudzhava

Re: Venue in Bucharest has been changed

Post by Okudzhava »

Interesting. I'll email my Romanian friends. Thanks for the info.
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
adriana22

Post by adriana22 »

The new venue is the same stadium they used last year, although the name seems to be different.
I hope it won't get too crowded!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Adriana: I think it's not the same! (I'm pretty sure, actually)
I'm quite disappointed about this; I think the huge communist building would have made a spectacular background for the concert. I would have posted the news too, but I found out just before leaving for Prague! Siiiiigh...

Laura
adriana22

Post by adriana22 »

Thanks, Laura! I didn't know the "Arcul de Triumf" and "Stadionul tineretului" stadiums were not one and the same! They are both located on the same street though, right?
vlad

Post by vlad »

A preconcert party will take place one day before the Bucharest concert at the Palatul Ghica. The press release says admission with "VIP-invitations" but as far as I understand from a press-officer whoever has the VIP-zone tickets has one...
Laura

Post by Laura »

vlad wrote:A preconcert party will take place one day before the Bucharest concert at the Palatul Ghica. The press release says admission with "VIP-invitations" but as far as I understand from a press-officer whoever has the VIP-zone tickets has one...

Oooh! I hadn't heard about this. What time?

Laura
Laura

Post by Laura »

Wow! I found the info myself, too (thank you Vlad!). And it says "with the participation of the band"!!! Here: http://www.palatul-ghika.ro/?s=cohen
Laura
vlad

Post by vlad »

No idea. I'll try to find out. I don't think there's much of a chance to get in, though... I'll keep in touch if I can.
Dianette

Post by Dianette »

Hey, I got a question...What songs will sing Leonard Cohen this year in Bucharest? I don't mind if he will sing the same songs like last year because the concert was really amazing, but I am curious! I just can't wait untill Friday! Thank you :)
Laura

Post by Laura »

vlad wrote:No idea. I'll try to find out. I don't think there's much of a chance to get in, though... I'll keep in touch if I can.
Well, on the webpage to which I gave the link it says "the access ONLY with the VIP ticket for the concert". That looks clear (and hopeful) enough to me!
Laura
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.nineoclock.ro/index.php?page ... 903-507130
published in issue 4509 page 12 at 2009-09-04
Leonard Cohen brings back the art of music and poetry to Bucharest

One of the most anticipated concerts of the fall was unfortunately affected by the competition in the Romanian music industry.

Leonard Cohen, the troubadour of anguish, will perform again for his loyal audience in Romania tonight, on the “Iolanda Balas Soter”; Stadium, near the Arch of Triumph, a year after he celebrated his birthday in Bucharest with an unforgettable concert.

Initially, the concert was scheduled by Events company – the same who organized the artist’s sold-out show in 2008 – in the Constitution Square. Unfortunately, three months after the tickets were issued, another promoter, Emag!c, in partnership with Tuborg, decided to organize a beer festival some 500 metres away from the venue, on the same day.

“Leonard Cohen’s concerts must be listened to with a finger on our lips, in order to keep quiet, and with our eyes closed, in order to feel the atmosphere. We are simply unable to risk, in the Constitution Square, to jeopardize the sound of “Hallelujah” and “Dance Me to the End of Love” with the loud music of a huge festival held in the Izvor Park. We are deeply disappointed that Tuborg, known as a great supporter of genuine music in Romania so far, decided to organize its event on the same day and so close to Cohen’s concert, showing an outrageous lack of respect towards thousands of listeners,” Sorina Burlacu, Events General Manager said.

She mentioned that the solutions offered by Tuborg and Emag!c after two weeks of negotiations, such as moving the stages and sound amplifying systems in different directions, were “unrealistic” and this is why Events decided to change the location of the show.

In response, Emag!c representative Laura Cioroianu claimed that the two performances could have been easily held at their initial locations. Emag!c blames the organizers of the Canadian artist’s show that they are attempting to conceal their own issues, but fails to mention which these issues are. Although Emag!c came up with a series of technical details and drawings of the two venues which only prove their closeness, it failed to provide an explanation for having selected the same date. On the other hand, Emag!c claims that the noise of a tram passing by the stadium, near the Arch of Triumph, and traffic in the respective area would be a more serious threat to the sound of the concert organized by Events.

“We are saddened by the fact that another concert organizer is able to do such things in its attempt to conceal its issues, in order to create a deformed image in the eyes of the media and of the audience,” the press release issued by Emag!c points out.

Yet, the ones who will be affected most are the collateral victims of this war: the artists, the audience and Romania’s image on the international music scene.

Leonard Cohen will be accompanied on stage by Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters (backing vocals), Roscoe Beck (bass guitar), Neil Larsen (keyboards and accordion), Bob Metzger (electric and acoustic guitar), Javier Mas (acoustic guitar), Rafael Gayol (percussion) and Dino Soldo (saxophone, clarinet, keyboards).

In 2008, after an absence of 15 years from the stage, Leonard Cohen’s international return tour gathered over 700,000 viewers on all continents and was franticly acclaimed by critics. Also last year, Leonard Cohen was included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York, along with Madonna, John Mellencamp, The Dave Clark Five and The Ventures.

In March, Cohen launched the album “Live in London,” including 25 songs from the show at 02 Arena. From “Suzanne” to “Dance Me to the End of Love” and “Hallelujah,” “Live in London” is a collection of memorable masterpieces that brought the artist his legendary fame.

The concert starts at 8 pm, the doors open at 5.30 pm.

by Rodica Pricop
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”