CONCERT REPORT: Monte Carlo, Monaco - August 22 & 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Monte Carlo, Monaco - August 22 & 23

Post by sturgess66 »

The Webb Sisters reported on their FaceBook yesterday:
The Webb Sisters saw Elton John and U2 in the audience tonight...!
Yesterday at 10:07pm
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/thew ... ers?ref=nf

I see Maarten has left a comment there, wondering if Bono might have a setlist for him since, so far, no forum member has stepped up to the plate. :lol:
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Monte Carlo, Monaco - August 22 & 23

Post by jarkko »

Frauke was in Monte Carlo - we will get the set list from her soon!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A writeup in Monaco L'actualité (Monaco.mc) on 8/21/09 - prior to the shows:

http://www.monaco.mc/actuArticle.do?idArticle=109801
21/08/09 - 16:54
Léonard Cohen pour une dernière de prestige !
monaco lc.jpg
monaco lc.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 19602 times
Plus qu’un artiste, c’est une légende qui clôture la saison 2009 du Sporting. Léonard Cohen en personne, songwritter d’exception sera en concert samedi et dimanche pour terminer en beauté deux mois de musique quasi non stop…

par Nicolas Massa

Venu il y a déjà un an mais dans le cadre du Nice Jazz Festival, les mauvaises langues disaient : « Il faut y aller, c’est maintenant ou jamais ! » Référence à l’âge plutôt avancé d’un des pères du folk. Poète, romancier, auteur-compositeur et interprète à la voix de baryton c’est donc bien une vraie légende qu’une nouvelle fois la SBM vous propose de découvrir dans le cadre unique de la Salle des Etoiles.
Les premières chansons de Cohen (principalement celles de Songs of Leonard Cohen, 1967) sont ancrées dans la musique folk, et chantées avec une voix de baryton. Folk-blues grave pour un artiste complet, véritable légende de la musique contemporaine. Dans les années 1970, ses influences se multiplient : musique pop, de cabaret, et du monde. Depuis 1980, Cohen chante dans un registre typiquement grave (baryton-basse, ou même basse) accompagné de synthétiseurs et de choristes. Dans tous ses travaux, Cohen reprend souvent les mêmes thèmes : la religion, la solitude, la sexualité et la complexité des relations interpersonnelles. La poésie et les chansons de Cohen ont influencé beaucoup d'autres auteurs-compositeurs-interprètes, et on compte à l'heure actuelle plus de 1500 reprises de ses chansons. Cohen est introduit au Panthéon de la musique canadienne en 1991, au Panthéon des Auteurs et Compositeurs canadiens en 2006, au Rock and Roll Hall of Fame en 2008. Il est un Compagnon de l'Ordre du Canada (CC) depuis 2003, la plus haute distinction civile canadienne. Bref, un homme exceptionnel dans un cadre prestigieux. Ne loupez pas ces deux concerts totalement uniques dans un cadre intime. Que du bonheur…
And the "pure" Google translation - :lol:
21/08/09 - 16:54
Leonard Cohen for one last prestige!

More than an artist, a legend that ended the 2009 season at Sporting. Leonard Cohen himself, songwriter exception will be in concert Saturday and Sunday for the grand finale of two months of almost non stop music ...

by Nicolas Massa

Come, he has been a year but under the Nice Jazz Festival, the gossips said, "He must go, it's now or never! "Reference to the older age of a father of folk. Poet, novelist, songwriter and performer with the baritone voice is it really a legend that once again the SBM you to discover in the unique surroundings of the Salle des Etoiles.

The Cohen's earliest songs (many of which Songs of Leonard Cohen, 1967) were rooted in folk music, and sung with a baritone voice. Folk-blues serious for a complete artist, a true legend of contemporary music. In the 1970s, his influences are multiplying: pop, cabaret and world. Since 1980, Cohen sings in a register typically severe (bass-baritone or even bass) accompanied by synthesizers and choristers. In all its work, Cohen often use the same themes: religion, loneliness, sexuality, and complex interpersonal relationships. Poetry and Cohen's songs have influenced many other singer-songwriters, and there are currently more than 1,500 renditions of his songs. Cohen was introduced in the Pantheon of Canadian music in 1991, the pantheon of Canadian writers and composers in 2006, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008. He is a Companion of the Order of Canada (CC) since 2003, the highest civilian award in Canada. In short, an exceptional man in a prestigious setting. Do not miss these two totally unique concert in an intimate setting. How fortunate ...
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I wonder if the Monaco "royals" were in attendance...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by ladydi »

With all the dollars, euros, sterling that we fans have spent over the past year and a half on concerts, flights and hotels, I'm amazed that anyone from the Forum could afford the ticket prices at Monte Carlo! ;-) Looking forward to Frauke's set list and review! And yes...any royals? Had to smile...Michelle Grimaldi must have felt quite at home....perhaps some long lost relatives 8) .
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

ladydi wrote:And yes...any royals? Had to smile...Michelle Grimaldi must have felt quite at home....perhaps some long lost relatives 8) .
I had to smile at this one Diana. Michelle's name has always seemed familiar but I couldn't for the life of me work out why until I saw your message!

Wendy
Frauke_Germany

Post by Frauke_Germany »

Hello, I am just back from Monaco. I was at both shows. It was fantastic and the atmosphere was impressing !The show began at 10.40 pm after the exclusive dinner and ended at 00.40 h. There was no break. The round hall had a roof that was possible to open. At the first concert the roof was closed, at the second one it was open and you saw the sky. During the dinner a band played quiet music. The tables were in the hall like in a restaurant and from everywhere you had a good view to the stage. The tables looked beautiful. Later the people throw the roses from the tables at Leonard to the stage. In the hall was room for 600 people. I had only a ticket for the first show. Somebody told me that it was possible to buy a ticket for the next day without the expensive dinner. So I did it and enjoyed the show for a second time. One drink was included, the price for the second one was 23 Euro. So I decided not to order a second drink. At the second show Elton John and the singer from U2 were in the audience.The programm was different.

Here are the setlists from both shows:

August 22th (Saturday)

Dance me to the end of love
The Future
Ain´t no cure for love
Bird on the wire
Everybody knows
In my secret life
Who by fire
Lover, Lover,Lover
Suzanne
Hallelujah
I´m your man
Take this waltz

Encores:
So long, Marianne
First we take Manhattan
Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will
Anthem

August 23th (Sunday)

Dance me to the end of love
The Future
Bird on the wire
In my secret life
Who by fire
Waiting for the miracle
Tower of song
Suzanne
Sisters of mercy
The Partisan
Boogie street
Hallelujah
I´m your man
Take this waltz

Encores:
So long, Marianne
First we take Manhattan
Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will
Anthem
Attachments
Sporting Club Monaco
Sporting Club Monaco
Poster
Poster
Last edited by Frauke_Germany on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Frauke,

Thank you VERY VERY much for this! We (Marie and I) really appreciate the effort of spending 2 nights having to watch and listen to mr. Cohen. I know you probably had better things to do than to just sit there and be amazed... ;-)

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Frauke_Germany wrote:At the second show Elton John and the singer from U2 were in the audience.
I agree with Maarten - great sacrifice you made! ... and I just LOVE to think how much dear whatsisname's ego will be hurt by this :razz:
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Terrific shot from the stage of the Salle des Etoiles looking out at the empty dinnner show area.
Source: Tour Road Manager, Joey Carenza's flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fauxmantic/3859846728/
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
theob

Post by theob »

Hello, I am just back from Monaco. I was at both shows. It was fantastic and the atmosphere was impressing !The show began at 10.40 pm after the exclusive dinner and ended at 00.40 h. There was no break. The round hall had a roof that was possible to open. At the first concert the roof was closed, at the second one it was open and you saw the sky. During the dinner a band played quiet music. The tables were in the hall like in a restaurant and from everywhere you had a good view to the stage. The tables looked beautiful. Later the people throw the roses from the tables at Leonard to the stage. In the hall was room for 600 people. I had only a ticket for the first show. Somebody told me that it was possible to buy a ticket for the next day without the expensive dinner. So I did it and enjoyed the show for a second time. One drink was included, the price for the second one was 23 Euro. So I decided not to order a second drink. At the second show Elton John and the singer from U2 were in the audience.The programm was different.

Hallo Frauke,

The show (22 aug) was perfect, unforgettable venue. The drinks we had afterwards in "Jimmyz" (Eur 26 for a little glass of wine) somewhat less, do you remember?

Best,

Theo (Netherlands)
theob

Monaco, August 2009

Post by theob »

As a psychologist one could think I should be supposed to "teach" people to be in control. No impulsivity, please.....
We planned to have a vacation in Germany and Italy, in august. Three weeks before I found out Leonard was performing in Monaco. The Salle des Etoiles, of all places! In the middle of the night I decided to change plans, and managed to order expensive (supposedly VIP) tickets (Euro 1429) in Milan, Italy. So we visited friends that had rented a villa in the Provence, and planned to visit the "Diner Spectacle" at the Sporting Club in Monte Carlo. Because I had some doubts about the authenticity of the italian tickets, I tried and managed to buy 2 more, through the official SBM site in Monaco, at the regular price of Euro 350 each. Total 2129 Euro for the (4) tickets on august 22.

At the entrance all tickets proved to be authentic, and the staff were so friendly to "mix" and combine them to 2 seats at the sponsors table.

The ceiling opening, windows diappearing in the floor, at the edge of the Mediterranean beach, heavenly wines, with about 350 people listening to the voice of the Master again (for me, after more than 15 years). An almost cosmic experience, for more than 2 hours. Words cannot describe the way I (we) felt.

Thanks to my impulsivity, but above all, LC. I'd do it again tomorrow.

Blessings to LC and all of you.

Theo

http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/theobogels
MaryB

Re: Monaco, August 2009

Post by MaryB »

theob wrote: , with about 350 people listening to the voice of the Master again (for me, after more than 15 years).
Theo

http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/theobogels
Undoubtedly the most intimate venue to date. This had to be indeed a very special concert!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
duma

Post by duma »

Hi everybody, does anybody has a recording of the Monte Carlo concert of August 23? Would love to have one! Thanks so much, Michael
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Michael - I wish we had even just one stinkin' video from the show - LOL. :roll:

I was excited when I saw that the thread had been bumped up. I thought maybe a video had surfaced. :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”