CONCERT REPORT: Nimes, August 20

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mabeanie1

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Nimes, August 20

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Kenadian wrote: I always think it is ridiculous that an SLR camera (which I would never use the flash) is not allowed, but other cameras flashing all the time is OK. I guess it has nothing to do with the annoyance factor, they just don't want any high quality shots floating around.

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
It's usually the professional photographers who complain about SLR cameras. The argument goes that they are restricted to the first three songs (one in the case of LC shows) whilst the public have no such restriction so it's unfair competition. Also SLRs are noisy from the audience point of view which can be nearly as irritating as flashing. Mind you, I have absolutely no idea why people use flash. It's pointless and doesn't achieve anything in most cases so you might as well switch it off, that and the irritating bleeps as well!
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
I really can't begin to describe just how slow the lines at the entrance were due to the rigorous searches - no perfunctary process this, all bags were checked rigorously, contents taken out, cameras removed from their cases for inspection etc etc and bodies thoroughly patted down. I have never seen anything like it for a Leonard Cohen show. I joined the line around 7.15-7.20 pm and didn't get in to the venue until after 7.45 pm. At that rate, anyone who arrived at the venue after 7.30 pm would miss the start of the show. In addition, they had a stupid system on the floor where you were not allowed to go to your own seat. You had to wait for a hostess to show you to your seat. One of them had to stay by the entrance at all times to stop anyone trying to break the system so the next person could only be taken to their seats when another welcome person came back to base. I knew where my seat was pretty well so in all innocence I started to head in that direction. I was called back and told in no uncertain terms that I was NOT allowed to go to my seat unaccompanied. And, yes, they even put me to the back of the line for my bad behaviour. Fortunately, it didn't spoil the show for me but I can see how people could easily have missed the start.

W
They lead every single one in the audience personally to their seats????? :shock: That's for sure one of the most stupid things I have ever heard. Or no - it must be the sending to the back of the queue as a "punishment". Not exactly the loveliest way to start a show you've probably been looking forward to for weeks. Let's just hope they didn't stick to that procedure backstage. ("Non, non, non, Monsieur Cohen, you're not allowed to go to your microphone alone....")
Hopefully you still enjoyed the concert.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Lilialily wrote:The video of "Everybody knows" is now uploaded, I have a few more videos that will be available as soon as my internet connection stops being a pain.
Thank you for your comments. The videos tend to be shaky at times thanks to the gentleman sitting next to me. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UjrrDYWhOU

Lilialily

Thanks Lilialily!! Another good video. And Dino is in fine form with his CohenAerobics! :lol:

Looking forward to watching the rest.
Judy

Post by Judy »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
I really can't begin to describe just how slow the lines at the entrance were due to the rigorous searches - no perfunctary process this, all bags were checked rigorously, contents taken out, cameras removed from their cases for inspection etc etc and bodies thoroughly patted down. I have never seen anything like it for a Leonard Cohen show.
W
There was a meeting of Daniel Cohn-Bendit's Green Ecologists Party in Nimes from 20th to 22nd August which could have accounted for the zealous security and lack of accommodation !!!

Lilialily ... thank you so much for the videos ... I forgot to take even just one photo :roll:
lien

Post by lien »

Since we had no numbered places, we started to make the queque very early, at 6PM! We had a nice place, very high but with the stage right in front of us. The stones of our places still hot because of the warmth of the sun during the day-time. We couldn't see Leonard very well but happily I started to talk with a very nice woman from Nîmes who borrowed me her binoculair from time to time ( if you would read this, please let me know who you are...). Of course it was for Leonard Cohen I came, but actually this time the special place, les Arènes de Nîmes, and being there with all those people loving this singer as much as I do, was just as impressing for me.
Thank you people with better places or better cameras for the nice youtubes . Now at least I also can see how he looked like.
We're from Belgium and missed the concert in Antwerp. Since we spent our holidays not so far away from Nîmes and this concert took place the day we had to go back home it was a marvellous apotheose of our holidays which I looked forward to whole month.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

From Midi Libre: Édition du vendredi 21 août 2009

"Leonard Cohen, chapeau bas

Grande voix, grands musiciens : le Canadien de 75 ans a bouleversé les arènes de Nîmes qui l’ont acclamé jeudi soir. Il aura un petit mot pour chacun : Javier Mas, « virtuose » de la mandoline, du luth, de la guitare ; Dino Soldo aux saxophones ; le « légendaire » Neil Larsen à l’orgue Hammond ; Bob Metzger, le guitariste « irremplaçable » ; le « prince de la précision » Rafael Bernardo Gayo à la batterie ; Roscoe Beck, bassiste et directeur musical, « notre conscience » ; enfin les « sublimes » Webb Sisters aux chœurs aux côtés de l’« incomparable » Sharon Robinson, compositrice et plus fidèle collaboratrice.

Leonard Cohen est révérencieux. Il peut : son groupe est merveilleux et il lui tire, à tout bout de champ, son chapeau. Le public, jeudi soir, aux arènes de Nîmes, n’a pas de chapeau. Il fait bien trop chaud. Mais il aurait fait de même : chapeau bas, dans ce qui ressemblait à un concours d’amabilités entre scène et gradins, remplis par 6 000 spectateurs chez qui pointait la nostalgie.

Poussé aux fesses par quelques déboires financiers, Leonard Cohen, septuagénaire canadien, est remonté sur scène l’an passé. Tout le monde est ravi : ses créanciers, ses fans et l’artiste qui a pris goût aux concerts géants même si, depuis le sommet des arènes, on ne distingue de lui qu’une frêle silhouette qui, souvent, s’agenouille : sans doute puise-t-il dans le sol les ressources de sa voix plus basse que terre.

Le répertoire est invariable depuis qu’il a capté, en 2008, le double album Live in London : les mêmes titres dans le même ordre, à peu de choses près dont The Partisan, adaptation culte de la Complainte du partisan, qu’il réserve au public français. Tandis que le concert débute en plein jour, il s’élève à mesure que le soleil se couche. Les standards défilent alors en trois bonnes heures de temps, dont une petite demi-heure d’entracte. Suzanne, Hallelujah et So Long, Marianne, notamment, que ponctuent des standing ovations.

Avec son groupe serré comme dans un bouge, à l’opposé du show et de la pyrotechnie, Leonard Cohen cisèle des arrangements précieux qui, sur Bird on the Wire ou Who by Fire, suggèrent l’illusion de la chanson parfaite. C’est attendu, propre et calibré. Mais, baryton plus grave que naguère, esquissant des pas de danse à un mois de ses 75 ans, il dégage surtout une aura troublante jusqu’à la communion générale, chacun ayant dans ses souvenirs de jeunesse des motifs à s’émouvoir. Et comme au terme de chaque concert en France, Leonard Cohen quittera la scène sur ces mots : « Il y a longtemps que je t’aime, jamais je ne t’oublierai. »
Attachments
leoF.jpg
leoF.jpg (6.52 KiB) Viewed 12325 times
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

And the Google translation:

"Great voice, great musicians: Canadian 75 years has revolutionized the arena of Nîmes who hailed Thursday evening. It will have a word for each: Javier Mas, "a virtuoso of the mandolin, lute, guitar, Dino Soldo on saxophones, the" legendary "Neil Larsen to the Hammond organ, Bob Metzger, guitarist" irreplaceable " ; the "Prince of accuracy" Gayo Rafael Bernardo on drums, Roscoe Beck, bassist and musical director, "our conscience" and finally the "sublime" Webb Sisters on vocals along with the "incomparable" Sharon Robinson, composer and most faithful collaborator.

Leonard Cohen is reverencia. It may: his group is wonderful and it takes at end of field, his hat. The public, on Thursday evening, to arenas of Nîmes, no hat. It is far too hot. But he would have done the same hat down in what looked like a contest of niceties between stage and bleachers filled with 6 000 spectators who pointed nostalgia.

Pushed to the buttocks by a few financial setbacks, Leonard Cohen, Canadian seventies, is back on stage last year. Everyone is happy: its creditors, its fans and the artist who has acquired a taste for big concerts, even if, from the top of the arena, there is no difference to a frail figure who often kneel: Free doubt draws Does the soil resources of her voice lower than earth.

The directory is fixed since it captured in 2008, the double album Live in London: the same titles in the same order, or less, including The Partisan, adaptation of the cult Complainte du partisan, it reserves french public. While the concert began in daylight, it stands as the sun sets. The standards then marched three hours long, including a half-hour intermission. Suzanne, Hallelujah and So Long, Marianne, in particular, that punctuate the standing ovations.

With his tight group like a move, as opposed to the show and fireworks, Leonard Cohen cisèle arrangements valuable on Bird on the Wire or Who by Fire, suggest the illusion of the perfect song. It is expected, clean and calibrated. But baritone worse than before, drawing dance steps to one month of its 75 years, he emerges with an aura especially troubling to the wider communion, each with its memories of youth moved to the grounds. And as at the end of each concert in France, Leonard Cohen is leaving the scene with these words: "A long time ago that I love you, I will never forget. "

I rather like that expression "pushed to the buttocks ...."

I'm not sure I get the "il dégage surtout une aura troublante jusqu’à la communion générale" ("he emerges with an aura especially troubling to the wider communion") though.

Wendy
Judy

Post by Judy »

Now what you have to do is translate the English back into French via Google and then back again into English :D :D :D :D :D
Lilialily

Post by Lilialily »

Hi!

Just a word to let you know that I've uploaded the five complete songs that I've got. You can find them at:

Dance me to the end of love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XshEfOhlA
Everybody knows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UjrrDYWhOU
Le Partisan / The Partisan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUQDSCr7NA
Lover, Lover, Lover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ip89Sb6FC0
Hallelujah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4nHmhrVTA

:D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Lilialily wrote:Hi!

Just a word to let you know that I've uploaded the five complete songs that I've got. You can find them at:

Dance me to the end of love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XshEfOhlA
Everybody knows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UjrrDYWhOU
Le Partisan / The Partisan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUQDSCr7NA
Lover, Lover, Lover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ip89Sb6FC0
Hallelujah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4nHmhrVTA

:D
Heh Lilialily - I was just coming over here to report that you given us more video!!

It is interesting to see your videos that were taken after night fell - such a different view of things! Haha

Like in "Lover, Lover, Lover" and "Hallelujah" - that skeleton appearance has gone from the stage. It looks much more cozy up there!

Good videos - thanks for sharing. :D
lien

Post by lien »

Thank you so much, Lilialily, for sharing these videos!
Mordy

Post by Mordy »

Finally got round to looking at my photos from Nimes. I really enjoyed the gig - and felt a bit sad when I came back and read the reports. The venue was breathtaking. Yes, it was extremely hot - even the locals were saying it was exceptional. And yes, perhaps they should have used the intertwined hearts backdrop. And, there weren't any video monitors either. And the security problems - I think these mainly affected the audience in the ground level seats. We had seats in the one of the higher levels and didn't have any real problems getting in. But despite all this it was still a wonderful evening, and Leonard and the band were as magical as ever.

I think there's now a danger that people are getting too knowlegeable about these gigs and comparing minutiae, and that is really putting a huge onus on the band and on the audience.
Luis says
lmc wrote: A final word on the audience which I found not as good and participative as in Lisbon or Colmar
For the vast majority of the audience it was probably the first and only gig they would be attending, and they sat back (or, quite frequently, stood up) and enjoyed - big time. Anyway, here's one of my pictures - the audience look pretty good and participative here.

I've now been to 4 concerts - all in very different sorts of venue. I think I know which my favourite was, but they were all wonderful. I just say all power to Leonard, the band, and everyone involved in the production for giving us something special every time, with what must be an extremely gruelling schedule.
I
Attachments
Nimes Arena.jpg
Nimes Arena.jpg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
dartagnan

Post by dartagnan »

@Lien.. nice to see they were more people from Belgium ;-)
@all.. yes, 'musically' speaking , the concert in Antwerp that I've witnessed might have been better ('The partisan' was absolutely sublime in Antwerp) LC in a little bit better form then in the beginning of the Nimes concert. However.. after a few songs I felt it was better.. and the start of 'Anthem'... I don't know if I was the only one but LC transmitted a lot of emotion at that moment, at least for me it gave me shivers down the spine..
And the Arenes de Nimes... what a venue.. I was lucky to have spot in the middle of the stage, some 20-25 rows away from it in the 'Carre'.. given I ordered them only a few weeks ahead, I got lucky.

So, yes the concerts were different.. and yes.. they were both more than worth it for me.. would like to go more..
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Interesting view here with all the monitors showing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78NljagSGTc
Odd that they would be in anyone's sightline like that, but very interesting! I imagine they are sound engineer Leanne Unger and others. Sound, lights, all that good stuff that LC so graciously acknowledges at the end. What a production.

or maybe those are just audience members who brought laptops... :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Mabeanie1 »

mnkyface wrote:Interesting view here with all the monitors showing.
Odd that they would be in anyone's sightline like that
If your seats are behind the sound desk then that's what you get ... But for a lot of people it's the best place to be: perfect sound as you hear what they hear!

Wendy

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”