CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, July 30

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Geoffrey

Re: Leonard Cohen Better Than Ever Live Lisbon 30th July 2009

Post by Geoffrey »

Moonlover7 wrote:
>Leonard Cohen better than ever! What a come back! His performance in Pavilhao Atlantico in Lisbon 2 days ago was simply brilliant. He far exceeded all his recordings to date. He was at his very best singing, joking and dancing in and out of the stage. His band was fabulous. Seeing him live was an amazing and memorable experience that we all wish can be repeated. Lost count of the encores as the whole audience did the utmost to keep him. Warmest Congratulations Leonard Cohen! Please come back soon. We all wish you the very best.

You should have seen him at the festival in Molde, Norway. It is a crime that it wasn't filmed. It was a beautiful warm summer evening with thousands of people stretching for as far as the eye could see - like Woodstock. Leonard's performance was rated six out of six in absolutely every Norwegian publication, and that happens phenomenally seldom. Madonna has just been here and she got three out of six!
Liamberney

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, July 30th.

Post by Liamberney »

Thank you all for your wonderful reviews (especially burning violin - you took me there). I'm soaking it all up in preparation for Venice on Monday. Monday will be the first gig I'll attend without knowing when or if I will get to see him again. Is this it?
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

catswhiskers wrote: Afterthought--What were those leaflets they were handing out,outside the concert? My Portuguese is virtually non existant--but something about boycotting Leonards trip to Israel??

I can't claim to have any 'my porgutuese'! but I thought I got one on swine flu? I could be very wrong thought! :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Portal dos Dragões

Post by Portal dos Dragões »

A few weeks ago I bought 2 tickets for me & my girlfriend. She's a big fan and I wanted to surprise her.
At the end of the day...I was the surprised one.
WHAT AN INCREDIBLE CONCERT!

Mister Cohen, incredible musicians, the voices from the amazing Sharon Robinson (what a lady!) and the Webb sisters.

I think Mister Cohen enjoyed playing at Lisbon. We sure did like having him with us!
Please come back real soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

José Carvalho
blue_bird

Post by blue_bird »

Well...What can I say?

Really amazing, sublime! I think saw Leonard Cohen live in concert is a gift from heaven...I'm really happy to had the oportunnity to see him once again. I don't know if Atlantico concert was better than the last in Algés but was so nice to hear classic songs like "The Partisan" and "Famous Blue Raincoat" (this one my fav)...Lisbon never forget this night, it was the concert of a whole life...thank you Leonard Cohen for your music, thank you Leonard Cohen for your poetry. God bless you!

Nice to meet some members of Forum too...just want to say a big hello to Magdasta, Juan Luis (nice t-shirt ;-) ) and to Catswhiskers...(send you a PM too)

Anybody knows when will be available the Blu-ray dvd with "The Best of the world tour"? Maybe a question to the great Jarkko...?!!
Coliseu dos Recreios Lisboa 1988, Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 (Meet Cohen at a cafe on the main Lisbon's avenue on the concert's eve), Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012
Lello

Post by Lello »

bridger15 wrote:Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following, Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and great youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene
Hi Arlene:

"Priestly Blessings" Lisbon July 30 2009

...Until then, please take care of yourselves, its... the weather's tricky out there, don't catch a summer cold.

If you've got to fall, fall on the side of luck.

This one's very difficult: Be Kind.

And listen friends: may the coming year find you surrounded by family and friends, but if this not your luck, may the blessings find you in your solitude.

Good night friends.
Thank you.
GOD BLESS.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "kilkulu" on YouTube - Anthem. Nice :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cptr8s_hZyE
Juan Luis Corcobado

I'm your man. Lisboa, 30 de julio de 2009.

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

I like this one, too - "Suzanne"... Not particularly close to the stage, but very nice, I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB-WqHTwyjE
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
keimenna

Post by keimenna »

Yes it was great that evening.We seen the show also and it was great.
That the show stardet later has to do that in portugal every body is always late (public)
But it was a night a never will forget.This was my first concert with lenoard cohen and i wish i could go
tomorrow again.We had vip places a lot off money ,but he this was once (or to wait for to see him on the other site.)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Womanfromaroom wrote:I like this one, too - "Suzanne"... Not particularly close to the stage, but very nice, I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB-WqHTwyjE
And here's another Libson "Suzanne" - uploaded by "kikulu"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMqmgJKZfc

Has anyone else noticed that Leonard seems to be really, really, really enjoying those low, low, low notes recently. :lol: :lol:
Like when he sings "mind" - at 1:47 3:00 (in kikulu's video) :D :D

And here's another "Suzanne" from Lisbon - uploaded by "hthedreamer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT6gBy52iZQ
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Dancing in the aisles!!..oh how lovely. By all accounts another wonderful evening as those who go again and again just wonder at the strength of the man as he becomes more and more entrancing.....I noticed it between the Lisbon Alges concert and the Wellington concert. It's as though the more Leonard performs the younger he's getting as he skips around .....A lovely report from Burning Violin for starters, portrayed the lovely quiet respectful nature of our friends in Portugal as well....perhaps thats why I keep going back there, such a wonderful place, with lovely people all around me, and it sounds as though the concert was just as good as the year before.

There's something though that evokes a feeling in all of us at the end of every concert, we all feel such emotion for the man and his music as he has moved us all deeply over the years....its (tearfully) ..."Will I see you Again?"......I certainly hope that somewhere sometime in the world I will get to another concert......

Meanwhile lets just wonder at THE MAN...as he travels around getting younger and younger!.... 8) 8) ;-)
lmc

Post by lmc »

Yes Lisboa was great!
From the concerts I have seen so far, the best audience, it was nice to see people dancing through »Take This Waltz« and »So Long Marianne« was as wonderful with LC looking really happy:)
And I just think Javier Mas is getting better and better:)
It is a pitty that there was at least one song missing from the 1st half and of course the wonderful »A Thousand Kisses Deep«.
What I do not understand is the people that buy a ticket to a show, and then arrive very late sometimes even after 2 or 3 songs, I just don't get it! but anyway to bad for them:)
Next off to Colmar:)
Cheers
Luis
2008: Lyon / Lisbon / Nice / Vienna x2 / Paris x 3
2009: Nantes / Paris / Lisbon / Colmar / Nimes / Barcelona
2010: Gent x 3 / Lisboa / Strasbourg / Tours / Lille
2012: Ghent 12th, 14th, 15th / Paris x 3 / Madrid / Lisboa
2013: Paris / Bruxelles / Rotterdam / Amsterdam
itseemssolongago

Post by itseemssolongago »

Nearly 3 hours of pure magic.
I love LC poems and music for at least 35 years but was the first time that I saw LC performing. I felt like being in a different dimension, the most beautiful one. It turned me in an enormous storm of feelings and emotions. This was the most wonderful evening of my life!
My only (very little, of course) disappointments: no “Stranger song”, no “Nancy” and no “A thousand kisses deep”.
I heard and saw LC and his marvelous musicians play “Famous blue raincoat”, “Suzanne”, “If it be your will” and all the other songs. And yes Mr. Cohen you tried to leave us but we’re satisfied. Very satisfied indeed!

God bless you Mr. Cohen! Hope that you can write and play FOREVER!

Mario
Juan Luis Corcobado

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, July 30th. People dancing.

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

lmc wrote:Yes Lisboa was great!
From the concerts I have seen so far, the best audience, it was nice to see people dancing through »Take This Waltz« and »So Long Marianne« was as wonderful with LC looking really happy:)
And I just think Javier Mas is getting better and better:)

Cheers
Luis

======================

It was me the one who started the dancing of »Take This Waltz« and it makes me so happy to check that it was trhilling  for people.
If anybody is interested in watching a short video about the dancing, don´t hesitate in contact me sending an e-mail to : corcobado(at)gmail.com
In september the 12th I will dance again at the concert in madrid.
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”