CONCERT REPORT: Belfast, July 26

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jleslee

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Belfast, July 26

Post by jleslee »

i have to say i was blown away at last nights leonard cohen concert i thought it was so much better than last year in dublin,from the minute leonard danced/skipped onto the stage i was mesmerised even to the point of tears during bird on the wire ;-) despite over a year on the road leonard appeared younger even revitalised by his shows his voice was stronger last night and certainly he appeared fitter than some men half his age!!!
i hope everyone there had as much fun as i did it will remain for me a highlight of my life,i thought dublin couldnt be beaten thank you leonard for letting me share last night with you 8)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following, Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and great youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

ladydi wrote:Hi mnkyface and wfar,

How could one NOT notice the statement about Sharon! Talk about a head jerk! :shock: Obviously, this reviewer didn't do his homework well...sloppy journalism. And on top of that, "Patti" Webb..... :roll:

Other than that I loved the reviews of the concert-goers! Perhaps they should apply for the position of entertainment colulmnist at the local paper! Ireland always has a special place in it's heart for Leonard!
Well he got the "perfect band" part right - and I think Shane Donaghey had good spirit - a bit weak on some details. I love the title of the article - Belfast says a mighty hallelujah for Cohen - and the last line - "It’s a bad world out there. Cohen provides a soundtrack to understand it. Genius."

Leonard has the article posted on his FaceBook.
http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=7 ... hen?ref=nf

As long as Hattie and Sharon are not feeling hurt or harmed - the article was definitely pro the incredible Leonard Cohen and his wonderful band and singers on this amazing tour.

p.s. Glad that to hear that Simon will be secure in his final resting place. ;-)

p.p.s. If anyone feels like correcting Shane Donaghey - there is a place to leave comments:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?s ... n6z&ref=nf
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Another lovely concert last night but I have to say there is a thin line between showing ones enthusiasm or giving a warm welcome and then crossing that line to heckling. I can understand the euphoria induced by an LC concert but I felt for Sharon Robinson when she went to sing Boogie Street last night.

Apart from that LC and band were in great form. I liked what he said near the start of the evening, it was something along the lines of 'We don't know when we'll be back this way again so we're going to give it our all for you tonight'. A very positive start to an evening! His voice was lovely and clear as well, hitting those top notes no problem in First We take Manhattan, one of the highlights for me.

As I was sitting on the Webb Sisters side this time and close to the front (Thank you Jarkko!) I was surprised how much my ears follow my eyes, was much more aware of the blend of the backing vocals, and especially Roscoe Beck's bass playing. He's amazing. Loved loved loved his solo on I tried to leave you! Also the comment LC made when introducing him about him playing the ' Soon to be extinct 5 string fretless bass' was good, I'm sure he's heard that lots of times but still seems to find it funny! One other thing, Raphael is wonderful on the drums, need more drum solos from him!! Also I love Charley's duet with LC on one of the verses of Waiting for the Miracle.

Funny point to note, I don't know if others noticed but whoever was working the smoke machine was a bit liberal with it last night! At the start of Hallelujah all I could barely see Neil Larson and I was in row 4!! the smoke was that thick!

Other highlight was I'm your man as well, what that reviewer said in the article posted earlier in this thread is true, a 74 year old man seduced every woman in the house. I was amazed at LC's footwork as well, I just love when he's really getting into something he takes all these tiny steps forwards and then glues his knees together!! :D and as for the skipping, I've seen it, its amazing but seeing him from up close...dear me, he really lifts his legs off the ground, its truely remarkable...he's not coming up for 75 if you ask me he really just wears an 'old man mask'.!

Arlene, his blessings were a little different last night, I don't have the exact words but they were based on Numbers 6:22-27 (as my google search told me) To paraphrase, "The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his light to shine upon you and be gracious to you, the Lord pour out? his countenance on/to you and give you peace"

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Rk ... en&ct=clnk
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks for your recap burningviolin!

And I always notice - and love watching - Leonard's "footwork." :lol:

And ditto about Rosco Beck! :D
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

By the way I spotted three very stylish ladies with matching t-shirts, they were black tshirts with a white circle and in the middle was a bird (just in outlines) sitting on a wire and it had the words 'I have tried in my way to be free'...ladies if you're reading I'd love to know where you got them!!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
naf nehoC dranoeL

Post by naf nehoC dranoeL »

"The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his light to shine upon you and be gracious to you, the Lord pour out? his countenance on/to you and give you peace"
My son always refers to this old chinese wishdom:
"I know whoever your light shines upon he must be blessed"

Think about it for a while :roll:

Nice title for a new song :)

Btw do Belfast childs sing again ?
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Thanks for your great concert report Burningviolin, I very much enjoyed reading it. Perhaps they were practicing with the smoke machine with a view to singing The Smokey Life some time soon! :lol:

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

Another very very good night and performance with LC and the band looking really rejuvenated and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Only slight downside for me was the gulpins who shouted out every now and again ( 'Sharon' and 'Play Alexandria Leaving' etc, etc.,) and some of the 'pretentious' that the concerts attract.

Overall a great night where a lot of people were again amazed by this spiritual spectacular and the humour and humility of LC, far far from the purveyor of doom and gloom that they probably expected !!!

LC was in the Radisson hotel and apparently earlier in the day had been in the open bar drinking coffee and posed for photos and gave autographs in his usual gracious manner. He seems to want to experience places and people and from his sprightly demeanour on stage this is all doing him the world of good.

Thanks Leonard, band and crew once again for a wonderful experience and Jarkko for the ongoing information and connections.

I am personally now content after a number of concerts and do not feel the need or urge to attend more concerts but who knows?
swimmer

Post by swimmer »

I was lucky enough to get a last minute chance for Belfast.Thought it was a great combination of the best of Kilmainham vibes and the recovered voice.Belfast was a great audience ,except for a few hecklers and a woman with hiccups in our row!!

Loved it !
Go Leonard!
bluebell

Post by bluebell »

Here's a link to Leonard's blessings at the end of the Belfast show.
Quite different to the one's he gave at the Dublin shows I was at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu1hTk8JbSQ
Dublin 1988, 2008,2009, Belfast 2009, Bratislava 2009, Gent 2010, Dublin 2012
Rustyhaze

Post by Rustyhaze »

What a great concert last night. Len really pulled out all the stops for this one. However i forgot my camera, i was wondering if anybody has any good photos of last nites concert. I have some on my fone but they are pretty bad. I was hoping there would be someone out there kind enough to share some good pics of the concert to me via email. Let me know. Thanks
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Glad to hear a good time was had by all. I must say I'm a little saddened that Len has left our little island for pastures new. I really hope he gets to return soon. Even 5 days later & a U2 concert later I still get a warm feeling when I think of Thursday nights gig :)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Isi

Post by Isi »

Sigh.....just one more very satisfied woman.
Did anyone else remark that the Belfast crowd was exceptionally enthusiatic about 'I'm Your Man' and joined in with the greatest gusto of the night? Do you think that it's that Norn Iron people can relate well to 'I'm yer man'?
Apart from that, I couldn't understand why everybody wasn't up dancing at their seats to 'Closing Time'.
Leonard just keeps improving with age, and I am tonight a very contented woman.
Midnight Choir

Post by Midnight Choir »

Fwiw that blessing there is the actual literal priestly blessing, the one the Kohanim are instructed to recite to bless the congregation.
2008: O2 London - July 17 | O2 London - November 13 | O2 London - November 14 | RAH London - November 17 | 2009: Antwerp - July 4 | Weybridge - July 11

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”