Leonard in Belfast

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
RUBYRED

Leonard in Belfast

Post by RUBYRED »

I MET LEONARD TODAY IN BELFAST VICTORIA CENTRE I LOVE HIS MUSIC I PLAY IT DAILY I LOVE HIM HE'S A LIVING SAINT
I TOLD HIM SO I WAS OVERCOME WITH EMOTION MUCH TO THE EMBARRASSMENT OF MY TEENAGE SON.
I HUGGED HIM AND WELCOMED HIM TO THE CITY TEARS STREAMING HE THANKED ME.
HIS MALE COMPANION WAS MESMRISED I GOT A PHOTO TAKEN WHICH IS DREADFUL AS I AM CRYING AND MY EXPRESSION IS BAD
IT'S GOING TO BE AMAZING ON SUNDAY NIGHT
TO ALL OF YOU THAT ARE GOING ENJOY !!!
I'M GOING FOR A LIE DOWN
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Leonard in Belfast

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Rubyred - that's so wonderful for you and nice to see you here! 8)

I hope that the concert is the icing on the cake for you. :D

Cheers,
Andrew :)

P.S.
I have several relatives in Belfast, but I'm not sure that any will be attending LC's concert, as none have ever expressed any interest in the past - anyway, I'll ascertain this in due course. ;-)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

RUBYRED wrote: I WAS OVERCOME WITH EMOTION MUCH TO THE EMBARRASSMENT OF MY TEENAGE SON.
HIS MALE COMPANION WAS MESMRISED I GOT A PHOTO TAKEN WHICH IS DREADFUL AS I AM CRYING AND MY EXPRESSION IS BAD
I'M GOING FOR A LIE DOWN

:lol: ......i love reading these kind of posts,i hope to write my own someday!(Monday hopefully :) )

I was walking around Dublin city last Sunday and i was you know,just kinda looking out for him :oops: ......i did end up seeing someone famous but it wasnt Lenny,wasnt even close! Ruud Van Nistlerooy,the guy who plays for Holland,formally Man Utd and now Real Madrid......I know,i wasnt that impressed either,ill be keeping an eye out again tommorow though 8)
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

What did you say to him?
'Hey

why the long face?'
:oops:

I'll get my coat
Misunderstood
jleslee

Post by jleslee »

god i cant believe you were lucky enough to meet the great man in town today in vic square that must have been sooo amazing :razz: and to get a photo even better im always in the wrong place at the wrong time,i knew i shouldnt have taken the dog for a walk!!!!!!! :lol:
anyway i've still got tomorrow night to go cant wait to see leonard again,last year in dublin was great so glad he coming to belfast this time im so excited roll on tomorrow night :D
RUBYRED

Post by RUBYRED »

thanks for replying tomy post I was so emotional I couldn't contain myself even for the photo I told him I loved his music and loved him as a person I am really still shell shocked and emotional I can't really explain it
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

Rubyred it is great that you met the great man. I met him 2 years ago and his meekness and gentleness shone through and left a lasting impression on me. I can vividly remember how genuinely he greeted me by name and spent time with me even though his minder was trying to move things on, Leonard was not having it and took his time to talk, sign some things and have photos taken. all at a leisurely pace.

It is amazing that he is in Belfast already. Given that he was in Victoria Square there is a good chance that he is staying in the Hilton.

I had heard that this week Leonard treated the band and crew to a break somewhere in Ireland and wondered where this was. I had thought it might be Kerry or Galway but perhaps he was in the north coast or Donegal.

I am looking forward to tomorrow nights concert.
RUBYRED

Post by RUBYRED »

My family don't understand I have never felt this way I am absolutely drained words of encouragement please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
swine flu has nothing on this
RUBYRED

Post by RUBYRED »

Is he an an angel sent from above who by fire who by water
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Rubyred,
please share your picture with us... I'm waiting for it!

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Unspoken Words wrote:
I had heard that this week Leonard treated the band and crew to a break somewhere in Ireland and wondered where this was. I had thought it might be Kerry or Galway but perhaps he was in the north coast or Donegal.

Go on, name your sources.....!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

I'm sure this whole stay in Ireland has been relaxing. Leonard, Sharon, the Webb sisters and the band members have the concert precision perfect by this point so no need to rehearse...just the sound checks. They've been able to stay in one hotel...probably catch up on laundry ;-) ...wander the town...run 16km (Dino), enjoy great Irish audiences.... perhaps they had a day or so in the country...and now Belfast. I'm sure they've enjoyed every moment and if they were able to get away into the country for a couple of days that would have been and extra plus and very thoughtful of Leonard. We'll have to check out Joey's photos to see they give any hint....or perhaps he turned off the iPhone for a couple of days. Nah..second thought I doubt he could turn it off for 10 minutes :D .
surrender

Post by surrender »

RUBYRED,
words of encouragement? Maybe the lyrics of the Dead Moon song, slightly changed;

...this was your chance
this was your life
and your opening hour...

...it's okay
you don't have to run and hide away
it's okay
it's okay, yeah we love you anyway....

Enjoy that memory!
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Rubyred. I share your joy at meeting Leonard. My wife Janis and I also had the wonderful experience in Sydney in January (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13314&start=15). Congratulations, I'll bet you are still smiling.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ladydi wrote:the band members have the concert precision perfect by this point so no need to rehearse..
Wouldn't this type of interval be just the time when they might rehearse alternate set list songs, which are not always routinely performed e.g.,Lullaby?
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”