CONCERT REPORT: Langesund July 16

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
paal

CONCERT REPORT: Langesund July 16

Post by paal »

It was a wonderful evening.. Over 12000 fans sung and celebrated LC all through the consert.. :D

Here is some pictures from our local newspaper..

http://www.ta.no/bilder/bildeserier/article4466882.ece

LC was in great shape. His voice and health was superb.. (He danced/jumped over the stage) :lol:
I'm - you are
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Langesund July 16

Post by bridger15 »

==================
GOOGLE Translation
=================
http://www.ta.no/pulsen/article4465472.ece
Looking forward to the concert
Leonard Cohen has admitted Langesund. - I look forward to the concert. It is fantastic here, "said Leonard Cohen to the TA last night.

Kirsti Carr Key
Published 15.07.2009 at 23:07 Oppdatert 16.07.2009 at 20:00

STJERNEMØTE: Bjørn Mellevik from Stavern got to meet his idol Leonard Cohen on Quality hotels and resort islands in the sea last night.

Another who is looking forward Bjørn Melleby, producer for the show "Ulv and angel - a meeting with Leonard Cohen", who had taken the trip from Stavern to Langesund with a single errand.

On assignment from NRK Summer should he invite Leonard Cohen on the boat trip in Langesund Bay.

On the possible trip would also Leonard Cohens ekskjæreste, Marianne Ihlen, also known from the song "So long Marianne", and actor Nicolai Lange-Nielsen, from the show from "Ulv and angel", to be with. The trip was planned to take place at two in the sea today.

PUBLIKUMSTJENESTER GJEST

It was a tense Melleby who put on the outside of the Quality hotel and resort construction. With him he had a framed picture. The picture shows Leonard Cohen, Al Gore, Gro Harlem Brundtland and Cohens boyfriend ANJANI under Skavlan "First and last" broadcast in March 2007. During the broadcast was Bjørn Melleby guest among the audience.

The photo was actually banned, but Skavlan asked if there was someone among the audience who had their camera. He said it was the best TV show he ever had done, remember Melleby.

KIND PLAN

Da Stavern-karen had knowledge of that Leonard Cohen was acting in Langesund, he a small battle plan. The desire to present the picture of Cohen personally, as well as the opportunity to visit with his idol, that he contacted NRK's Summer Open-editors, who fired on the boat trip idea.

Melleby sat down in the sun on the outside of the hotel. Bakpå image, he wrote a message to Cohen. He also brought a personal greeting from Marianne Ihlen, that he has come to know through the Norwegian Cohen-performing.

"I send lots of light to you before the concert in Langesund" sounds greeting from old girlfriend.

WERE NOT THE OPPORTUNITY

In the hotel restaurant had Bjørn opportunity he had waited for. Among our guests supplied the superstar from the buffet table.

- Welcome to Langesund and Norway. I look forward to the concert tomorrow, "says Bjørn Melleby and ask Cohen if he remembers Skavlan tv-show.

Cohen smiles and nods in agreement.

- It's rare I make TV shows, as I remember it well, "says Cohen, and adds that he also found it very interesting to discuss environmental policy.

- I am concerned about the environment, "he said.

And picture the gift falls well in the taste. Cruise invitation was not Cohen as a positive.

- I do 100 concerts a year. It is absolutely impossible for me to go on a boat trip. We have lydprøve at one. When do I need to be there, "says Cohen.

Neither a greeting and lovnad that ekskjæresten to be with, helped.

- I look forward to the concert. It is fantastic here, "says Leonard Cohen, and looked out the window at the idyllic Langesund Bay.

But when he looks beyond the sea from the scene in Krog Harbor in the evening, so you may jo he regrets that he not declined to the boat trip offer
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

==================
GOOGLE Translation
==================
http://www.ta.no/pulsen/article4467231.ece
Mighty sunset with Cohen
With the sun from the cloudy sky, about 12 000 lystige public and Leonard Cohen in the magnificent battle, was this year's concert in Telemark a fact. Just as the promoter had promised in advance.

MARTIN FREMSTAD
Published 16.07.2009 at 23:06 Oppdatert 16.07.2009 at 23:25

Quite precise at a quarter to eight the Canadian legend on stage. Irreprochable antrukket in black dress and a ditto becoming experienced, desired he welcomed with "Dance Me To The End Of Love" - sitting on his knees in front of a banduriaspillende Javier Mas. When the sun had long heated audience. Now it was the ten musicians on stage turn.

STRONG empathic

The response from the people the sea was immediate; hands in the air and allsang to recognize dear tones. Cohen continued the intimate interaction with his musicians. Having knelt for Mas He and sang a duet with his high aktede Korist and collaborator, Sharon Robinson. A powerful moment that it was more of the excess in the delicious summertime. Few other musicians, if any, sings with a deep understanding that Cohen. Among other things, why was the concert yesterday a very stirring experience.

HUMORFORESTILLING

Leonard Cohen is first and foremost melankolien champion. But almost as characteristic is his sense of devious humor. A special feature that appears in both texts and the man's stage performances. This time, he had also been joined by the sublime Webb Sisters on the toy. During the song number two, "The Future", struck tvillingene wheels as Cohen replaced verse line "the white Monday dancing" with "the white girls dancing" - to great laughter among those present met. Otherwise, it was a very ordknapp hovedperson that after eight songs spoke to the crowd. But it played little role, for it was the music we had come for. And it got us to benefit.

"TIGHTS" STORBAND

It was a kind of parade with a twist that was served from the scene edge. Of course. Cohen has a back catalog that any and each can envy him. In 2009 he appears as an aging maestro for a big band that includes some of the superb musicians one could imagine. Several of them, he has worked with for years, and the gang have toured in well over a year now - almost coherent. Just the needed Monday barely a trained ear to hear. I turn and order won the great applause, and perhaps the greatest Dino Soldo - who repeatedly impressed with the elegant solos on saxophone and clarinet. A delicate sound dominated the concert, but it might with advantage have been turned up a notch or two.

Suveren evening

The musical treretteren was undoubtedly a well-menu. First, the map was beloved Vamp, which opened in the rain drip and later Fix. But the beads as "Tir n'a Noir", "Ingeborg" and "Kim Du No Va" and a charming publikumstekke provided a tasty appetizer. And while the sun was back to Krog Harbor. Sivert Høyem ga us a comfortable resting right, where songs from the solo towards the end was mixed with Madrugada-song "The Kids Are on High Street." After he finished with "Johnny" was the audience more than ready for the evening entree. As thus responded to the expectations. And then some.

It just was a powerful experience to see the sun go down at the sound of smektende Cohen songs.

The review is based on the first set, where these 10 songs were recorded:

"Dance Me To The End Of Love"

"The Future"

"Is not No Cure For Love"

"Bird On The Wire"

"Everybody Knows"

"In My Secret Life"

"Who By Fire"

"Heart With No Companion"

"Waiting For The Miracle"

"Anthem"

cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

please can someone give us more details of this concert?

it looks like the weather was beautiful.
how was the band?
how was LC's health? he had a slight cold in Liverpool.
it looks, from photos, like the audience was 'side-on' to the stage (as in Dublin last year) so more people were closer to the stage, rather than a long seating arrangement as in most arenas. is that right?
what was the audience's reaction to the songs?
did LC talk much?
was there a support act?

thanks
Joan

Post by Joan »

paal, thanks for the link to those wonderful concert photo's
you made my day :D

Kind Regards, Joan.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you concert goers who were there.
---Arlene

confetti

Post by confetti »

that looks like a great place to have a concert. Was the guy who had the photo in one of those photos? and were the other bands supporting Leonard or was it a festival with many bands taking part?
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

These google translations are cracking me up!!!

This time, he had also been joined by the sublime Webb Sisters on the toy. (Fred?? was that you??)

During the song number two, "The Future", struck tvillingene wheels as Cohen replaced verse line "the white Monday dancing" with "the white girls dancing" - to great laughter among those present met. (yes, I can see why they laughed. It was Thursday!)

Otherwise, it was a very ordknapp hovedperson that after eight songs spoke to the crowd. (oh Leonard, I knew you were feeling poorly after Weybridge, but you have grown hooves??)

Several of them, he has worked with for years, and the gang have toured in well over a year now - almost coherent. (Almost. I'd say they need to tour for another year or 2 before they *really* get it together. lol)

The musical treretteren was undoubtedly a well-menu. (Undoubtedly!)

The picture shows Leonard Cohen, Al Gore, Gro Harlem Brundtland and Cohens boyfriend ANJANI (hmmm...The innermost closet door?)

Among our guests supplied the superstar from the buffet table. (yum! A leonard Cohen buffet! Move aside, I want to be first in line. One by one, the guests arrive. Oh, the puns are endless. And didn't someone on the Domininique Isserman photo thread just ask if they could eat him with a spoon??)

And picture the gift falls well in the taste. Cruise invitation was not Cohen as a positive. (I hate when that happens.)

"We have lydprøve at one. When do I need to be there, "says Cohen. (AT ONE, Leonard. Maybe 12:55, just so there's a cushion.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by bridger15 »

cpl593h wrote:please can someone give us more details of this concert? ...
This is one comment that was posted as a response to the TA.NO concert review above.
(Google translation)
Leonard Cohen has experienced twice before in 1988 and 1994, but never as good as this time. A fantastic band and one brilliant hovedperson obvious that clearly cost him so much that he would not get off the stage. Thanks Leonard for giving us such a concert beads. Not dangerous to approach 75 when you still have so much charm, vitality and musicality intact. I hope you prefer more tours before you retire!

Anne R

Post by Anne R »

cpl593h wrote:please can someone give us more details of this concert?

it looks like the weather was beautiful.
how was the band?
how was LC's health? he had a slight cold in Liverpool.
it looks, from photos, like the audience was 'side-on' to the stage (as in Dublin last year) so more people were closer to the stage, rather than a long seating arrangement as in most arenas. is that right?
did LC talk much?
was there a support act?

thanks
Just back from Langesund and still in heaven. Met him for the first time after 40 years waiting for the miracle! :D Will try to post pics soon. The weather was good when Leonard played. The concert startet with two supporting bands at 5 pm. It was heavy rain and I was soaking wet in the front line where we got extra rain from the stage roof. The two supporting bands were Vamp, Norwegian folkrock group. The next was Sivert Høyem with band. He is better known as the singer in Madrugada.

I think Leonard still has a slight cold, those outdoor gigs can be risky. The audience were close to the stage. No seats at all. Not much talking. Less talking since the European tour started last year. The band sounds perfect. They are just brilliant, each one of them.

Anne R
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Oslo | 1979 Oslo | 1985 Oslo x 2 | 1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona
1976 Oslo | 1979 Oslo | 1985 Oslo x 2 | 1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona | 2010 Oslo, Helsinki, Las Vegas x2 |2012 Helsinki, (Verona)| 2013 Oslo
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

AnneR - Thanks for finally letting us know a bit about what type of concert it was. LC was on for how long? Maybe a little over an hour? Was this considered a festival or an LC concert with 2 opening acts? Guess, give me some information and then I beg you for more :oops: :roll: . So sorry.

Esther - I laughed at the Google translation, but then when you added your comments, you had me rolling :lol: :lol: :lol: . Don't you just love those translations? Probably the same people who do the closed captioning on TV - y$#JKL kn\30op *ean.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Cute interaction from this show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBa5xyualFU
at about 1:30 to 1:50.

At first it seems like Leonard is trying to engage with Javier in that way he does, and sing to him, but Javier is having none of it, totally engrossed in the playing. So then LC kind of gives up on him and decides to look at Dino, who is laughing, and Dino and LC smile at each other.

Or is it just that Dino and LC are sharing a private joke about the "you make me forget so very much" part of the song, maybe a joke about LC forgetting a lyric at some point?

Either way, it's a cute moment and the smiles (from both of them!) make my day. Nice to see them so relaxed onstage. I think I need to post this in the Crush on Dino thread too... :D
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Anne R »

MaryB wrote:AnneR - Thanks for finally letting us know a bit about what type of concert it was. LC was on for how long? Maybe a little over an hour? Was this considered a festival or an LC concert with 2 opening acts? Guess, give me some information and then I beg you for more :oops: :roll: . So sorry.
MaryB
It was a full three hour concert (see the setlist section). It was a LC concert with two opening acts. It started at 5 pm and Leonard went on stage at about 7.45. Its hard to be standing for 7 hours (4-11). I'm only a teenager at heart ;-)

Anne R
1976 Oslo | 1979 Oslo | 1985 Oslo x 2 | 1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona | 2010 Oslo, Helsinki, Las Vegas x2 |2012 Helsinki, (Verona)| 2013 Oslo
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Anne,

when you have said earlier that you have "met'" Leonard - does that mean in person, just you and him? If so, would you care to please share the episode with us? ;-)
Thanks a lot!!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Anne R

Post by Anne R »

Womanfromaroom

Yes, I met him. :D As well as the rest of the band. :D We stayed at the same hotel. Met him the day before the concert and when he was looking for his band in the lobby before they went to sound check. A warm and gentle man. I've been a hardcore fan for 40 years, so this was really a "milestone moment".
See you in Barcelona!

Anne R
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Oslo | 1979 Oslo | 1985 Oslo x 2 | 1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”