CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Scoop

Weybridge concert

Post by Scoop »

:D I just wanted to say that despite the rain, the concert in Weybridge was fantastic, and almost as good as the one in Bournemouth. One gripe however (organisers and audience please note) was the noise that people made coming and going. It was in the open air, but people moving about seemed to have no regard for the fact that the rest of us wanted to listen to the music and concentrate on it. Some people arrived late and ate food, spoke to their partners, stood in front of us, moved backwards and forwards etc while the concert was going on. It was very distracting. I have to say that the security guards were fab - at one point they stopped people walking across the shingle, which was making a hell of a racket while the music was playing. Maybe in future there could be a system to only let people wander about once a song has finished. We paid over £250 for ourselves and our daughters and we didn't mnid the rain but were almost driven to despair by all the constant comings and goings. Next time I will make sure I go to a concert inside a theatre. where people can't move about during the concert and where it is far more intimate. It was still great, but not as great as the concert (inside) at Bournemouth, for that reason.
HarryMann

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Post by HarryMann »

BBC Radio 4 discussion about travel problems to UK concerts and specifically Leonard Cohen's Weybridge concert

Listen again via this link: BBC Radio 4 'You and Yours' Friday 17th July
HarryMann

Post by HarryMann »

ImYourWoman wrote:I think that may have been our 'little' phwarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh during I'm Your Man. Sorry if it upset anyone, but we were unable to contain ourselves.
Hehe! We were just to your left and one row behind I think... we cracked up, nicely judged moment :D

PS. Shouldn't it be 'Phworrrrrghhh! or is that the male > female version ;-)
chrissie01

Post by chrissie01 »

Sometimes you get more than you could ever have dreamed of....
The concert was emotional enough to tempt some tears.... To see this beautiful, humble man pouring his heart out as if for the first time, introducing his fabulous band, giving time and space to his singers and respecting them with his hat to his heart, was a spritual experience from which It would take some time to 'come down'.
However, back at the hotel that evening, there were the band, by the bar, gathering to relax and wind down. and, next morning, There was Leonard himself, snatching a bite before moving on.
A surge of adrenaline, and there was I, humbly asking for his signature on my weather beaten programme.
but that wasnt quite enough....it was a cuddle I needed!!..., and of course the chance to tell him how much his music and poetry means to me!

I have some lovely photos, and am still walking on air five days later!

As for the venue, we had no traffic problems...
I felt there were far too few toilets, and all packed in together, which is not helpful
The catering was absolutely insufficient for the kind of concert it was.No one wanted to miss songs through standing in queues..this was no bog standard pop concert!! We were adoring fans needeng a quick fix of food and drink in the interval, so some of the providers could have been providing ready made food and drink ..at speed.
And you want to travel with him
And you want to travel blind
And you think maybe you'll trust him
For he's touched your perfect body with his mind
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

chrissie01 wrote: However, back at the hotel that evening, there were the band, by the bar, gathering to relax and wind down. and, next morning, There was Leonard himself, snatching a bite before moving on.
A surge of adrenaline, and there was I, humbly asking for his signature on my weather beaten programme.
but that wasnt quite enough....it was a cuddle I needed!!..., and of course the chance to tell him how much his music and poetry means to me!

What great luck! Care to post your pictures?

What hotel was he staying at, out of curiosity?
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

chrissie01 wrote:Sometimes you get more than you could ever have dreamed of....
The concert was emotional enough to tempt some tears.... To see this beautiful, humble man pouring his heart out as if for the first time, introducing his fabulous band, giving time and space to his singers and respecting them with his hat to his heart, was a spritual experience from which It would take some time to 'come down'.
However, back at the hotel that evening, there were the band, by the bar, gathering to relax and wind down. and, next morning, There was Leonard himself, snatching a bite before moving on.

[...]
Yes, please, please post your pictures!!

Danslenoir, as to the hotel, I guess if Joey Carenza makes it public, it is ok to share the information:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fauxmantic/3712674102/
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
chrissie01

Post by chrissie01 »

I tried to post my pics on here, but they didnt seem to be accepted, so if you want to look, go to:

http://kevin1462.fotopic.net/c1725625.html.

Leonard Cohen was at the Oatlands Park Hotel ,Weybridge near to the concert, and it was pure chance that we had booked there, tho' hubby says he had it all planned!
I was absolutely amazed at my boldness....my usual shyness evaporated in that moment!!
Enjoy the pics
And you want to travel with him
And you want to travel blind
And you think maybe you'll trust him
For he's touched your perfect body with his mind
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

truly wonderful ... so ... the programme is yours but the Lorca ??? biography is Leonard's in the first picture?
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Joan

Post by Joan »

fantastic photo's - lucky, lucky you
Thanks for sharing :D
Kind Regards, Joan.
Paula

Post by Paula »

What great pictures Chrissie. What a shock for you!!!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Chrissie - how wonderful; that was good fortune indeed! ;-) What did he write into your programme then?
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
D1054

Post by D1054 »

Harrymann wrote
BBC Radio 4 discussion about travel problems to UK concerts and specifically Leonard Cohen's Weybridge concert

Listen again via this link: BBC Radio 4 'You and Yours' Friday 17th July
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ljn6l

Many thanks for posting the link if any one is intrested slide the bar over to 45 mins (of 55mins)for the start

Mike
voldoakwood

Post by voldoakwood »

We travelled down from Leeds for my 1st taste of the great man live and i have been buzzing from it all week.

Despite the obvious problems i would do it all again tomorrow, it truly was a magical almost spiritual evening which will live with me forever.

I would like to thank all the people on here for proloning the experience, with all the great videos pictures & tales etc

Only found this site on Monday when looking for reviews of the gig but will keep an eye on it from now on.

Thanks again
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

Chrissie, fantastic photos, thanks for sharing them. :)
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

Thank you for posting your lovely photos Chrissie.....you lucky, lucky woman!!! What wonderful memories!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”