CONCERT REPORT : Paris Bercy, July 7

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
racerbear02

CONCERT REPORT : Paris Bercy, July 7

Post by racerbear02 »

How does the man do it??

This concert, although using a virtually unchanged set list, managed to be fresh and exciting, and very different from last year's offerings.

The 15000 seat stadium was packed and was treated to a virtuoso performance once again.

The entire cast appeared to enjoy themselves with many genuine smiles from all, and what was Dino Soldo drinking?? I'll have a pint of it whatever it was :lol: he was magnificent, really interacting with the crowd in a way I have not seen before.

This was a theme throughout the concert, all the artists seemed to be much more relaxed and in tune with the show than any I have previously seen, really excellent solo performances from them all.

The highlight for me had to be ' The Partisan' what a fabulous and emotive rendering, better even than last year at Paris, it brought a justified, standing ovation, a Dutch member of this forum, sorry I did not get your name, turned to me and said " even for a Dutchman, that gave me goosebumps !!" It was electrifying !!

Other highlights for me were 'Avalanche' ,Sharon Robinson's rendition of 'Boogie Street' was fresh and exciting, and yet again the Webb Sisters had me in tears with 'If it be your will'.

The audience was well behaved and appreciative and appeared to be genuine fans, not just people along for a night out.

Congratulations again to all involved for a wonderful evening, yet again :D
friscogrl

Re: CONCERT REPORT : Paris Bercy, July 7

Post by friscogrl »

He sang Avalnche?! I am hoping he sings this in Barcelona. This is the one song I would love for him to add to the setlist.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Inna

Post by Inna »

This was my first time ever seeing Leonard Cohen live. We were sitting in the 4th row directly oppposite the great man.
I have been reading reviews for over a year, watching YouTube and the DVD. What can I say that hasn't been said already? I was on a different planet yesterday night. I didn't cry and wasn't close to tears, I was just spellbound. I just hope I am a little bit better, purer and kinder now than I had been before this incredible experience.
G-d willing, we should see him again in our country. Thank You Teacher.
Last edited by Inna on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

rockerparis
REVIEW OF CONCERTS IN PARIS FRANCE

Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Leonard Cohen @ Paris Bercy July 7th 2009

On his knees

Back to Bercy for a very different concert than yesterday ( Britney Spears ) , this time we have a real composer & a real singer.
I' m not too familiar with Leonard's catalogue apart from his most famous songs , the place is packed but not sold-out in this all seated arena.
So there's around 12-13000 people.
Leonard is playing over two sets for almost 3 hours.
He has a deep and low voice, he's dressed smartly and is with 7 musicians and 3 girls on backing vocals.
Maybe some songs are sounding the same if you're not too familiar with his songs like I am.
http://rockerparis.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... -2009.html
Includes some youtube links including a very moving "The Partisan".
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene

Kevin Quinn

Post by Kevin Quinn »

"The weather's a little tricky.. Don't catch a summer cold...Perhaps we'll pass this way again."

Then

"May you always be surrounded by families and friends and, if that is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude."

In Bercy he added,

"Il y'a longtemps que je t'aime; jamais vous oublier."
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

If there's anyone who wrote down the exact setlist, could you please post it here or in the thread about the setlists? We (Marie and I) have collected nearly all setlists so far (only 2 missing out of the 135+ up 'till now!) and I would love to continue adding the other setlists of this European leg aswell.

So pleeeaaaaase (Roscoe Beck's way...).

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Who by fire

Post by Who by fire »

Correcting Kevin Quinn he said in a perfect french (and i'm french) : "Il y a longtemps que je t'aime, jamais je ne t'oublierais". Words from a traditional "à la clairefontaine...".
I watched this concert (in Bercy) and also one of The Olympia concert. Of course the playlist was the same (except "Avalanche") but i thing this place is too much bigger to appreciate LC with intimacity.
Actually

Post by Actually »

You got to hear The Avalanche??? That's just not fair... Image
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Exactly! I went to three concerts so far and will go to at least one more, always hoping to hear "Avalanche", and so far, always in vain... If Tel Aviv is going to happen, Leonard just MUST sing it there! Pleeeease (Roscoe Beck - style, as Maarten has put it! ;-) )
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

Just arrived back in the Uk after seeing Leonard in Bercy. Still haven't composed my thoughts after such a wonderful evening but....The Partisan was absolutely STUNNING! He just tore into the song....there was power, anger, sadness, loss....just breathtaking. It was if he just opened his throat and let the song just flow out! Magnificent! It well deserved the tumultuous roar of appreciation! Upon reflection , I think that rendition of The Partisan was posssibly the finest song I have heard Leonard sing; it was so intense! Also loved So Long Marianne and Famous Blue raincoat.

Agree with racerbear....I don't know what Dino Soldo was on but he was really enjoying himself on stage! Also agree that the Webb Sisters singing If It be You Will was intensely moving.

Sat in my hotel room unable to sleep until 3am just listening to the concert echoing round my mind.

I have to admit, from where I was sitting, the sound balance in the first half was quite poor but was much improved for the second half.

If anyone has got a recording of the concert please, please, pm me!!!!

Sorry for the garbled post...am very tired...happy but tired!

PS owe a couple of Fms a pm but my internet connection has been down for nearly 3 weeks and have not yet managed to catch up!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

racerbear02 wrote:what was Dino Soldo drinking?? I'll have a pint of it whatever it was :lol: he was magnificent, really interacting with the crowd in a way I have not seen before.
If you watch "The Partisan" on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1555lYFGU
you will see our wonderful Dino totally immersed in the moment. It is a joy to watch him.

Inna

Post by Inna »

Yes, Dino was absolutely electrifying on stage. I saw a smile exchange between Leonard and Dino right after one of Dino's superb solos.
Oh, what a night.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Aaaah yes, the unique Dino body language. Stupendous performance overall. Arlene, thank you for posting this link.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mirka

Post by mirka »

racerbear02 wrote:what was Dino Soldo drinking?? I'll have a pint of it whatever it was :lol: he was magnificent, really interacting with the crowd in a way I have not seen before.
I think he was high just on the music and the athmosphere :D
At the Charlottetown concert (Prince Edward Island, spring 2008, a 1000 ppl auditorium) I got his attention --I was wearing a white blouse that he obviously could see from the stage-- and we did synchronized bouncing to 'Democracy'.I think other Forum members reported similar experience in Manchester (?). On the other hand it coudln't happen in Vienna, where the audience sat comfortably,waiting to be entertained.
It's easy to get high if you let yourself be carried by the music, and Leonard's music is particularly conductive to this experience.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”