CONCERT REPORT: Nantes, July 6

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tomstew

CONCERT REPORT: Nantes, July 6

Post by tomstew »

Well, it was vintage LC and the crowd loved it! Leonard and all of the ensemble were in top form. It was the kind of night that both performers and the audience hope for - all went home or to hotel rooms happy. LC had considerable zip to his impish entrances and exits and pleased to be connecting with all us folks here in the west of France. It was great to see the range of ages that he attracts in the audience - even greater to see so many young French women and men wearing LC T shirts. It is passed on - something wondrous, intangible. Just proud to have been there.
Womanfromaroom

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Nantes, July 6

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Finally - a review! I was amazed not to have read anything about the Nantes concert on the Forum before.. Thanks, tomstew! :D
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there in Nantes.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Having seen Cohen many times, over a long period, I have to say that the three of us that travelled up to Nantes from the Dinan area all agreed, that this concert was right up there amongst the best he has ever done, that is how highly we rated the concert at Nantes last night.

I sat next to a couple of "first timers" who almost from the beginning sat in awe and by the second half and through to the end, they were, in their own words, totally "blown away". How lovely to know that LC is still picking up lifetime fans. My Niece, who went with us, was wiping tears away during a few songs, namely "The Partisan" and this was another newcomer, who previously had barely heard (I know, heathen !! ;-) ) of LC.

Near the end, the Webb Sisters produced a superb rendition, on their own, (after words by LC) of If it be thy will playing guitar and harp.

And as LC says at the end................I Hope It Was Good For You, Too.

It was better than that, LC, on this occasion, as all there would admit, especially "les Nantais", it was absolutely magnificent, thanks, LC.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Setlist, anyone, please? And: Did he do the beautiful (spoken) recitation of "A Thousand Kisses Deep"? Thank you! ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

No he did not do a recitation of "A Thousand Kisses Deep" as far as I can remember, (but I am getting on a bit!!)

Can't quote the exact order of the playlist, sorry but I think the encores were; I tried to leave you, Heart with no Companion, Closing time, If it be your Will ?, So long Marianne, First we take Manhattan, but to be honest, the encores were over quite some time. Start time was not long after 20h00 and finish time was around 23h15/.

I really should have written it down I guess.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

If there's anyone who wrote down the exact setlist, could you please post it here or in the thread about the setlists? We (Marie and I) have collected nearly all setlists so far (only 2 missing out of the 135+ up 'till now!) and I would love to continue adding the other setlists of this European leg aswell.

So pleeeaaaaase (Roscoe Beck's way...).

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Lumi2414

Post by Lumi2414 »

Maarten,

The report posted here http://www.leonardcohensite.com/tour2008/art_nantes.php
has the setlist for the concert in Nantes.

Keep up the good work!
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Lumi2414, thank you so very much for providing the link to the set list. I will happily include it on my site. If you happen to see the set list for Bercy, we'd appreciate you letting us know. It is somewhat hard for me to find these things since I don't speak French. Thank you.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

So, was Heart With No Companion actually performed since it's not on that setlist?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Lumi2414

Post by Lumi2414 »

Megan2c2b,

Parasian just posted the setlist on the Summer Tour in Europe 2009 thread ;-)
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

MaryB wrote:So, was Heart With No Companion actually performed since it's not on that setlist?
Well I said I was getting on ;-) and now I (and OH) doubt it was but then again, although a very good report there was not a mention on Liste artistique of the Webb Sisters, tut, tut! Hyacinthe RAIMBAULT although in her favour, she does mention them in her report as, " les sublimes Webb Sisters"

Sorry if it wasn't on the set list and I said it was.

Liste artistique :

Leonard Cohen : chant, guitare et clavier
Roscoe Beck : directeur musical, basse, contrebasse, choeurs
Rafael Bernardo Gayol : batterie et percussions
Neil Larsen : claviers
Javier Mas : banduria, luth, guitare à 12 cordes
Bob Metzger : guitare, pedal steel
Sharon Robinson : choeurs
Dino Soldo : instruments à vent, harmonica, clavier
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

OK, between a few us, we are 100% sure that Heart with no Companion was definitely performed in Nantes.

So dear Hyacinth, you not only forgot the Webb sisters in your Liste artistique but this song as well but as it was a fantastic concert, that certainly is easy enough done ;-) but a super write up all the same :D

Not so old as I thought now :D
Neil from The Young Ones
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Vicomte,
You seem to be 100% sure that "Heart with no companion" was played in Nantes. Can you edit the setlist underneath, because it seems to be incorrect then... We took it from the link Lumi had provided... I will check the French LC Forum later, but any help is more than welcome (je parle un peu d' Francais, mais c'est difficile de lire toute seulement pour chercher un setlist...)

First Set

• Dance Me To The End Of Love
• The Future
• Ain't No Cure For Love
• Bird On The Wire
• Everybody Knows
• In My Secret Life
• Who By Fire
• Chelsea Hotel #2
• Waiting For The Miracle
• Anthem

Second Set

• Tower Of Song
• Suzanne
• Sisters Of Mercy
• The Partisan
• Boogie Street
• Hallelujah
• I'm Your Man
• Take This Waltz

First Encores

• So Long, Marianne
• First We Take Manhattan

Second Encores

• Famous Blue Raincoat
• If It Be Your Will
• Closing Time

Final Encores

• I Tried To Leave You
• Whither Thou Goest (tutti a cappella)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Oh dear, Maarten, now you have me doubting myself again, so double apologies this time !!

We are of the opinion, the second set was when Heart with no companion was sung but as Hyacynth had the rest in such good order...............I, or the three of us, might be wrong!

Unfortunately, we are two hours from Nantes and knew no one else that was present, or at least don't know of anyone else to ask.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”