CONCERT REPORT: Antwerp, July 4

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sien

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Antwerp, July 4

Post by sien »

wonderful concert!!!
was in bruges and brussels as well! sublime!
thank you leonard for your music and poetry!
hope to see you again!
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Thank you Maarten, for the wonderful pictures!

Antoine
Mazal

Post by Mazal »

bridger15 wrote:Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?
Leonard's Blessings last night in Antwerp:

'Friends, the weather out there on many levels is kind of tricky, so don't catch yourself a cold,
drive safely home,
be kind - that's a tricky one,
and may you be surrounded by friends and family, and if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.'
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Mazal wrote:so don't catch yourself a cold,
I'm pretty sure he said "Don't catch a summer cold"... Can't recall the exact words for the entire four priestly blessings, but I think the rest is correct though...
Partly available here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMDRQb4lS34

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Maarten - your pictures are just fantastic!! Thanks for sharing. And we don't often see Leonard without his jacket. Must have been hot, hot, hot!

Thanks!
Last edited by sturgess66 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazal

Post by Mazal »

Maarten wrote:
Mazal wrote:so don't catch yourself a cold,
I'm pretty sure he said "Don't catch a summer cold"... Can't recall the exact words for the entire four priestly blessings, but I think the rest is correct though...
Since the blessings are quoted literally from the recording I made last night, I cannot be more positive that this is exactly what Leonard said ;-) ...'Don't catch yourself a cold'...
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Mazal,
I humbly appologize for wrongly correcting you... :roll:
Are you going to put your recording on Dime or make it available any other way?

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Hi!

This video is great

His smile :D :D So long marianne

we met when we were almost young.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLLWKMiqFF8&NR=1
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Ingrid wrote:Great concert last night and indeed it was dedicated to Yasmine( may her spirit rest in peace, as leonard sayed)
I was so lucky to see him again, 3 times in less than a year, and he's getting better and better every time. For me this was the best, good music, the best musicians and Leonard in good shape , very good seats in front! what more can you wish for...
Hope to see you again Leonard. you're the best and nothing's gonna change that.
Greetings to all Leonard lovers, Ingrid
Thank you so much, Ingrid, for alerting me that you recorded the whole final segment of the Antwerp concert and posted it on youtube (tainaingrid). It is an extraordinary video record of many things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WArmWfGT ... annel_page

It was great to see all Four Priestly Blessings and very moving to hear LC pay a final honor to Yasmine. And how nice we get to see young Charlie Beck wearing a fedora onstage with his dad, Roscoe. Thanks again and well done!
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Love that we are getting fan video. :D

Suzanne posted by "63angels63" on YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ANl_PhEnM

And a clip of Suzanne posted by "paulekebe" -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLk0-Zw4Jko
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hello Maarten and all the others I met that evening... It was great talking to you and put faces on nicknames... The show was so amazing!
I counted four to five standing ovations + people making noise tapping their feet on the tribune floors. The feeling I had is that the public was much more enthousiast than before in Bruges or Brussels which is really nice to see. I remember reading some other post earlier in this section stating that the audience in Antwerp was expected to be really cold; this demonstrated quite the opposite!
After Leonard sang the Partisan, which was one of the best version I have ever seen in concerts or youtube, Leonard seemed really impressed by the so warmful reception and gratitude he received; his smile then was one of the most beautiful I'd ever seen... I just hope someone got this on video and will eventually share it...
This could be the last time ever Leonard performs here in Belgium but he surely spoiled us in many ways and left us with memories for the rest of our lives.
Thank you Mister Cohen for everything.

Warm regards,

Nicolas
I told you when I came I was a stranger...
Ingrid

Post by Ingrid »

bridger15 wrote:
Ingrid wrote:Great concert last night and indeed it was dedicated to Yasmine( may her spirit rest in peace, as leonard sayed)
I was so lucky to see him again, 3 times in less than a year, and he's getting better and better every time. For me this was the best, good music, the best musicians and Leonard in good shape , very good seats in front! what more can you wish for...
Hope to see you again Leonard. you're the best and nothing's gonna change that.
Greetings to all Leonard lovers, Ingrid
Thank you so much, Ingrid, for alerting me that you recorded the whole final segment of the Antwerp concert and posted it on youtube (tainaingrid). It is an extraordinary video record of many things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WArmWfGT ... annel_page

It was great to see all Four Priestly Blessings and very moving to hear LC pay a final honor to Yasmine. And how nice we get to see young Charlie Beck wearing a fedora onstage with his dad, Roscoe. Thanks again and well done!

;-) Hi Bridger 15,
I posted more videos from Leonard on youtube, first time in Brugge as well as from Brussels. You find them when you surch under the following name " Leonard Cohen tainaingrid" and then you have all the videos. Some are quite good and some are a bit lessof quality . It's not easy with a small photocamera,but I did the best I could. With the final, " Whither thou Goest" we just had the chance to stand in front of the stage, great, great,great! Will he ever come back again? I hope so, he's so sublime,
Greetings, Ingrid
katriends

Post by katriends »

Maarten

Thank you very much for the wonderful pictures !!!
Our seats were too far from the stage to take good pictures :-(
It was the first time I went to see Leonard Cohen and it was breathtakingly beautiful!!
Fingers crossed he will visit Belgium once again in he future!
pierre

Post by pierre »

The Partisan: by golly, I could not help but scan the whole audience during this piece: the audience was totally SILENT and STILL. Really an incredible sight for such a mass concert. The thunderous ovation following it was the perfect answer to the preceding silence. Perfection at its best!

Also, Marteen is right after all: He definitely said: don't catch summer cold. I know it, because I had chided my wife to have brought along a sweater in the sweltering heat, and the appropriate comment by LC made us joke about this again.
Marteen, your pics are fabulous. Thanks.
Tinkie

Post by Tinkie »

Hi everybody,

For the blessings at the end of the concert, Marteen is right ...he said "...don't catch a summer cold...." and by the way ....at the very end of the show, who throw the banana on the stage that Leonard picked up with a huge smile on his face ?

I really would like to know because it was so surrealist, so improbable... so funny and so nice to see that fans care about the monkey !!! what about the plywood violin ?

All the best
Tinkie
Tinkie

2008 : Lisboa, Vienna, Brussels 2x, Manchester - 2009 : Cologne, Antwerp, Lisboa, Barcelona
2010 : Gent 3x, Lille, Las Vegas 2x -2012 : Gent 5x, Verona, Paris, Lisboa -2013 : Paris, Antwerp, Brussels, Berlin, Dublin, Amsterdam

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”