Suzanne Vega to support Leonard at Weybridge

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Clem

Re: Suzanne Vega to support Leonard at Weybridge

Post by Clem » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:18 pm

It is, of course, interesting whom we would prefer as support act, but more relevant is who Leonard would want. I suspect Vega is LC's personal choice at Weybridge.

Reading the 3 part interview of Suzanne by Leonard in 1992 (it's not the other way round as one heading misleadingly suggests) on Vega's website ( http://www.suzannevega.com/ ), it is fascinating the fascination LC has with SV's songs, lyrics and what she brings to them/ hides from us. The two of them clearly form a mutual admiration society!!

For example, concerning the lyrics of her song "Fat Man and Dancing Girl", Leonard says:

'I did study this song with my son, and we went through the lyric line by line.

S: Your son, Adam?

C: My son, Adam. I would love to have the opportunity to study it with you. Because, well for one thing, I think it's very, very beautiful, beautifully executed song on the album. I think that there are lines in it that get right to the heart of your operating mode, and I'd really like to see what I could uncover for myself and for the listener. So, let's begin at the beginning and please forgive me if I question you in what seems to be insane detail.'

It's my view that if we read the above interview in full first, and then take Suzanne's supporting act seriously and try to get into her songs, lyrics and personality, it will only add to our understanding and appreciation of Leonard.
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 pm

i'm not a huge vega fan although i haven't heard much of her work.

tho' i think it's a good idea for leonard to have a female counterbalance on the bill.

i'd like to have seen the leonard weybridge contest advertised as :

leonard cohen : with special guest - connie talbot!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Talbot
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Clem wrote:
Reading the 3 part interview of Suzanne by Leonard in 1992 (it's not the other way round as one heading misleadingly suggests) on Vega's website ( http://www.suzannevega.com/ ), it is fascinating the fascination LC has with SV's songs, lyrics and what she brings to them/ hides from us. The two of them clearly form a mutual admiration society!!

For example, concerning the lyrics of her song "Fat Man and Dancing Girl", Leonard says:

'I did study this song with my son, and we went through the lyric line by line.

S: Your son, Adam?

C: My son, Adam. I would love to have the opportunity to study it with you. Because, well for one thing, I think it's very, very beautiful, beautifully executed song on the album. I think that there are lines in it that get right to the heart of your operating mode, and I'd really like to see what I could uncover for myself and for the listener. So, let's begin at the beginning and please forgive me if I question you in what seems to be insane detail.'

It's my view that if we read the above interview in full first, and then take Suzanne's supporting act seriously and try to get into her songs, lyrics and personality, it will only add to our understanding and appreciation of Leonard.
Clem, thank you for the link! This is indeed the only interview that I have read in which, as far as I am aware right now, the questions have interested me far more than the answers...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 am

Suzanne Vega was born on July 11, 1959 - so she will perform at Weybridge on her 50th birthday!!!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Can someone remind me of the timetable for the evening please? Some of you seem to have had a sheet inserted with your tickets saying what this is, but I have checked and there was nothing with mine. Thanks. Honeyrose.
sirp2000

Post by sirp2000 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Honerose, here's a copy of the email I received from Ticketmaster:

The approximate runtime is as follows (please note, all time and support acts are subject to change):
Car Parks open - 14:00
Site open - 16:00
Suzanne Vega - 17:45
Leonard on stage - 19:00 (part one)
Intermission - 20:15
Leonard on stage - 20:40 (part two)
Finish - 22:25
blue_bird

Post by blue_bird » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:29 am

Gonna see her live in concert Friday night in Lisbon (one day before Weybridge) and next July 30 the great Leonard Cohen here in Lisbon too! 8)
Coliseu dos Recreios Lisboa 1988, Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 (Meet Cohen at a cafe on the main Lisbon's avenue on the concert's eve), Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”