Meetup in Liverpool 14th.July

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
LuckyTourist1946

Re: Meetup in Liverpool 14th.July

Post by LuckyTourist1946 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Hello again Dave and All,

Just to confirm numbers, I am only one. (Awww!) So, like solo Stan, I'm looking forward to meeting like-minded souls before and after the concert.

Someone asked "How will i recognise you?" I suspect LC Tour T-shirets are de riguer?

I think there may be two more joining the party. Last night at the CSN concert, I sat next to a Leeds couple who are attending the concert and told them of the Pre-Post-concert stuff. We didn't exchange names, though. (Are you listening in?)

Looking forward!

Dennis
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:15 pm

Dennis hi

We are the couple you sat next to last night--have already said we would like to meet up.

Anne and Roger
ninasspacechild

Post by ninasspacechild » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:45 am

Hi.

We leave Prestwich at 3pm so will be in Liverpool for around 4pm. Would love to attend the meetup. There will be two of us. :)
The sea refuses no river
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:57 am

I'm going to Leonard's concert in Liverpool on the 14th :D .
It will be a long, tortuous journey, via Crewe, to Chester (overnight stop), then Liverpool, back to Chester (overnight stop), back to Crewe, then Carlisle, eventually Waverley.
I just hope Leonard recognises the joy I'm going through, and if I see that Pete Needham I will assault him with....a poem 8) .

Andrew.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:41 am

I moved the concert reviews from here to the other thread!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
John J

Post by John J » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:58 pm

daveeliver wrote:Hi Stephen, and everyone else
Look forward to seeing you.
The Dispensary in Renshaw Street isn't a large pub (there didn't seem that many people available for a pre concert meetup) so bumping into people won't be difficult (and may be a problem!)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=ig ... 2207376131
Hopefully people will be there from 5pm onwards.

For those arriving earlier or those that are hungry,there are a wide selection of restaurants nearby.

Tokyou noodle bar,Berry Street (great cheap,noodle bar + Chinese)

We ate here last night before going to see The Doors Alive (tribute band).

Great Value less than £20 for 2 x 2 course meal with a couple beers,really nice food,
The queue for tables was out onto the street.
Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Andrew McGeever wrote:I'm going to Leonard's concert in Liverpool on the 14th :D .
It will be a long, tortuous journey, via Crewe, to Chester (overnight stop), then Liverpool, back to Chester (overnight stop), back to Crewe, then Carlisle, eventually Waverley.
I just hope Leonard recognises the joy I'm going through, and if I see that Pete Needham I will assault him with....a poem 8) .

Andrew.
.............and if I see that Andrew McGeever I'll ...I'll....I'll.... read his poem 8)
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi,
For those arriving early and haven't got a tourist guide,here are a few ideas.
http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/home
There's obviously plenty of other things to do,but I'm not typing for hours as I'm still recovering from idotically blagging 2 free tickets for the Ry Cooder concert and mistakenly thinking it was tonight.
I got a phone call last night from my contact at 9pm asking where was I, as he was on stage.
It was too late and too much alcohol had been consumed!!
I was not popular.

The 2 cathedrals each end of Hope Street

Anfield museum and stadium (a cathedral in it's own way)tour
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/club/tour.htm ... x_02032009

The Walker Art Gallery
The Tate Liverpool
The Bluecoat Gallery behind Church street with a garden that was once even better
http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/
St Georges Hall, opposite Lime Street

Shopping in Liverpool 1(???)
or alternative shopping in the Gaudi inspired Quiggins

The Fact cinema and media centre with wifi access and snack bar
http://www.fact.co.uk/?group=1
The Everyman theatre and bistro, great award winning food
Ferry across the Mersey
The Beatles Museum and The Maritime museum in the Albert Dock

Pubs near to The Dispensary that I enjoy(all selling real ale)
The Philharmonic (famous toilets) and opposite The Phil Hall where Ry Cooder played
The Belvedere (my friends pub)behind the Phil
The Cracke where the Beatles drank and full of characters(Wobbly Bob also)
The Swan, Wood Street, a cracking pint of Wobbly Bob (6%)
The Grapes, Mount Street my favourite pub at the moment with hot jazz on a Sunday night
The Roscoe Head, round the corner from The Dipensary
The Fly in the Loaf, between The Phil and The Dispensary nearly used for our meet up.
The Pilgrim, Pilgrim Street, famous for it's all day breakfasts.
The Egg cafe, not a bar but a nice vegetarian place
http://www.myvillage.com/liverpool/plac ... e-egg-cafe

a bitter further away
The Ship and Mitre,Dale Street still a favourite of mine (though currently disappointing Ken) and a tremendous selection of ales and foreign lagers and bottles
The Vernon,Dale Street recently reopened and a good atmosphere
The Lion, Moorfields. A selection of over 100 whiskies(I know, I count them every month!)
The Baltic Fleet, opposite the arena but long queues when concerts are on.
Dr. Duncans,near the tunnel entrance

So many places I've probably forgot but ......

It's only a 25 minutes walk from the Dispensary to the arena (honestly Pete). It took me 11/2 hours yesterday but I needed refreshment as I was walking uphill in the opposite direction.

Hope you enjoy yourselves
Dave
I'll just check if the concert is on Tuesday and not tonight.
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Daveeliver - you've omitted probably one of the best things in L'pool, that's the National Trust tour of the Lennon & McCartney houses -

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-the_beatles.htm

I did the tour last year and it was excellent. Another visitor this year was Dylan, apparently he went on the NT bus like everyone else.

I'll certainly be going to the Walker Art Gallery on your list, and thans for the list of pubs & restaurants.

Regards.

Melvyn.
Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:42 pm

daveeliver wrote:It's only a 25 minutes walk from the Dispensary to the arena (honestly Pete). It took me 11/2 hours yesterday but I needed refreshment as I was walking uphill in the opposite direction.

Dave

There's hills in Liverpool??????
I think I visited Liverpool once when I was a young lad but that's a long long time ago.
I should be at the Dispensary for 5pm but only if I'm not still wandering the streets looking for Paula...as is my want.
Can I bring my prescription for my blood pressure pills? I'm sure the Dispensary will have the ones I take.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
glasgowgirl

Post by glasgowgirl » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Hallo! Am leaving for Liverpool this morning SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!. can you text me to let me know about meet up please? 07813 515878. Thanks
margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:48 pm

glasgowgirl wrote:Hallo! Am leaving for Liverpool this morning SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!. can you text me to let me know about meet up please? 07813 515878. Thanks
The meet up has already been arranged, see previous posts. From 5.00pm Tuesday at a pub named The Dispensary on Renshaw Street. Close to Lime Street mainline station.
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:51 pm

daveeliver wrote:Hi,
For those arriving early and haven't got a tourist guide,here are a few ideas.
http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/home
There's obviously plenty of other things to do,but I'm not typing for hours as I'm still recovering from idotically blagging 2 free tickets for the Ry Cooder concert and mistakenly thinking it was tonight.
I got a phone call last night from my contact at 9pm asking where was I, as he was on stage.
It was too late and too much alcohol had been consumed!!
I was not popular.

The 2 cathedrals each end of Hope Street

Anfield museum and stadium (a cathedral in it's own way)tour
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/club/tour.htm ... x_02032009

The Walker Art Gallery
The Tate Liverpool
The Bluecoat Gallery behind Church street with a garden that was once even better
http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/
St Georges Hall, opposite Lime Street

Shopping in Liverpool 1(???)
or alternative shopping in the Gaudi inspired Quiggins

The Fact cinema and media centre with wifi access and snack bar
http://www.fact.co.uk/?group=1
The Everyman theatre and bistro, great award winning food
Ferry across the Mersey
The Beatles Museum and The Maritime museum in the Albert Dock

Pubs near to The Dispensary that I enjoy(all selling real ale)
The Philharmonic (famous toilets) and opposite The Phil Hall where Ry Cooder played
The Belvedere (my friends pub)behind the Phil
The Cracke where the Beatles drank and full of characters(Wobbly Bob also)
The Swan, Wood Street, a cracking pint of Wobbly Bob (6%)
The Grapes, Mount Street my favourite pub at the moment with hot jazz on a Sunday night
The Roscoe Head, round the corner from The Dipensary
The Fly in the Loaf, between The Phil and The Dispensary nearly used for our meet up.
The Pilgrim, Pilgrim Street, famous for it's all day breakfasts.
The Egg cafe, not a bar but a nice vegetarian place
http://www.myvillage.com/liverpool/plac ... e-egg-cafe

a bitter further away
The Ship and Mitre,Dale Street still a favourite of mine (though currently disappointing Ken) and a tremendous selection of ales and foreign lagers and bottles
The Vernon,Dale Street recently reopened and a good atmosphere
The Lion, Moorfields. A selection of over 100 whiskies(I know, I count them every month!)
The Baltic Fleet, opposite the arena but long queues when concerts are on.
Dr. Duncans,near the tunnel entrance

So many places I've probably forgot but ......

It's only a 25 minutes walk from the Dispensary to the arena (honestly Pete). It took me 11/2 hours yesterday but I needed refreshment as I was walking uphill in the opposite direction.

Dave
Dave

for anyone who does not know the city, this really is an excellent guide to having a great time in liverpool. well done. the pilgrim, the phil, etc - all agreat pubs. would recommend the picket for the morning after the gig if it turns into a heavy night...
also, am glad to see that you make it clear there is only one footie ground in Liverpool...
i am going to the LC gig with a mate who has never been to Liverpool, so our itinerary includes the ferry, a trip to Penny Lane and to pay homage at the Shankly Gates...and then on to see Lenny!
LuckyTourist1946

Post by LuckyTourist1946 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Pessimist that I am...

I looked at the weather forecast and it foecasts continuous pizzle. Be prepared.
That said, the weather guessers also said it would be lousey here in Harrogate today and it is bright and sunny, so far. I suppose this means I should wear a mac, carry a brolly and slap on some SPF 75 Sun Block. Gawd, I love British weather! (¦¬D)

See y'all there, come rain or shine!

Dennis the Lucky Tourist
margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:07 pm

We will at least be warm and dry inside the Arena.

I expect Leonard and the crew will be in Liverpool by now

He might well be out and about seeing the city himself ;-)

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”