Meetup in Liverpool 14th.July

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
daveeliver

Meetup in Liverpool 14th.July

Post by daveeliver » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi All,
Just a quick note before heading to Hydra and other Greek Islands.
Hopefully we'll return by the end of June (Charlie Valentine!) when a meet up will be organised for, before and after the Liverpool concert on July 14th.
A convenient venue ( a bar, believe it or not) will be chosen dependant on the numbers who are likely to attend.
It will be near a wide selection of restaurants and within walking distance of the arena.
So that I can get an idea of numbers involved, please send me a pm or post on this thread.
Early in July I will make firm arrangements.
If anyone is staying in Liverpool on the Monday (Pet Shop Boys at the Arena) or Wednesday (Pogues) or Wednesday (a free open air live broadcast of the Barber Of Seville direct from the Royal Opera House on the big screen in Clayton Square) and fancy a drink or a meal, I'm sure something can be arranged.
Looking forward to showing you a 'city of culture'

Dave and LiverpooKen

(please pm Dave as Ken will be away longer)
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Maarten

Re: Liverpool 14th.July

Post by Maarten » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Dave,
Are you and Ken still friends?! There seems to be a bit of dislike between the two of you. How I know? Because you just called him LiverPOOken... :D

Maarten (plain and simple: Maarten)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 pm

I hope to get to Liverpool sometime in the afternoon but after the concert I do need to drive straight back home as I have to be at work the next morning.
Looking forward to a meet up. Put me on the list :)
Cheers

Pete

p.s. when you say ' within walking distance to the venue' just how far is 'within'? I ask this because I remember Ken saying the same thing about the walking distance from the pub to the Manchester Opera House last year. He promised that it was an 8 minute walk but it turned out to be about 9 minutes and I've never forgotten that.... and I tried to walk as fast as I could.
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
LuckyTourist1946

Post by LuckyTourist1946 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I'll be there for the 14th, as early as possible, to soak up the atmosphere...and food of course. Where ?
stan

Post by stan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:03 am

Hi all
Put me on the list cos i left Liverpoo 30 years ago and it will be nice to re-vist the museum and art gallery.see ya there.
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi All,
Back from Hydra and the Greek Isles. It was great, thanks to everybody.
It looks as if about 12/15 people are interested in meeting up before the concert.
I'll probably suggest meeting in a pub near the Hardman Street area of Liverpool and walking distance from the train station.
It'll be close to a lot of restaurants (all sorts and all price ranges), other pubs,good for parking and only 1 mile (20 minute) walk from the arena.
Afterwards I may be able to organise a Greek restaurant near to the Arena where they will let us drink without having a meal or even eat without drinking!
I'll finalise the arrangements next week.
A few people on Hydra said they were staying on the Monday night also.
There's plenty to do on a Monday so let me know where others may be staying and what you enjoy and I'll come up with a few suggestions.
Paula

Post by Paula » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Dave my son and I will be arriving about 2 in Liverpool so please include us on the list.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:52 am

Hi All.
The Dispensary at the top of Renshaw Street Liverpool will be a good place to meet in on Tuesday 14th.It's a decent pub and frequented regularly by Ken and myself.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=ig ... 2207376131

It is a 10 minute walk from Lime Street railway station, surrounded by varied good quality restaurants and near to other pubs of interest.
It is a 20/30 minute walk from the arena and there is plentiful parking available nearby.A taxi to the arena is only about £5
The licensee is happy for us to meet there and a few trays of sandwiches etc will be provided for those not visiting one of the local restaurants.
I imagine people will be arriving from 5 ish onwards but we should leave about 7.
Details of an afterconcert venue will be posted over the weekend and later maps,details of restaurants and other ideas.
Looking forward to seeing you all, maybe also some people will be in town on Monday night,
Hope my tickets eventually arrive
Dave
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:36 am

Hi,
After the concert, Christakis ( a lovely Greek restaurant in York Street (off Duke st.)), is willing for us to meet there.
The owner doesn't mind if we only drink or even buy just snacks.Meals are of course available.

It's a little cheaper than El Castillo in Hydra but unfortunately the sunsets do not compare.

http://www.christakisgreektaverna.com/index.asp

It's only 10 mins from the arena (provided you don't get lost!) and is really nice.

Hopefully in the next week either LiverpoolKen or I will post maps.
LuckyTourist1946

Post by LuckyTourist1946 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:05 pm

ECHO ARENA has several tickets available right now in Section #1, row C, at the left side of the stage, FYI! II know, this is for the meet-ups, but good info is good info and I'd hate for someone really commited to miss out or sit at the back of the Arena. Good Luck.

See you all at the Dispensary, Tuesday PM and later, in all the old familiar places.

Dennis, the Lucky Tourist.
stan

Post by stan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:41 pm

Where is everyone meeting before the concert,{i dont want to be alone} in a strange city that was my birthplace?
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
margaret

Re: Meetup in Liverpool 14th.July

Post by margaret » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 am

Stan,
up to now it seems to be The Dispensary, a pub on Renshaw Street from about 5.00pm.

see Dave's information a couple of posts above this one.

See you there,
Margaret
hotm

Post by hotm » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:38 am

Hi
Hoping to join for the meetup and bring another friend with me - for aftershow as well. Hope that's OK. How will we recognise you?
Stephen
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:13 am

Hi Stephen, and everyone else
Look forward to seeing you.
The Dispensary in Renshaw Street isn't a large pub (there didn't seem that many people available for a pre concert meetup) so bumping into people won't be difficult (and may be a problem!)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=ig ... 2207376131
Hopefully people will be there from 5pm onwards.

For those arriving earlier or those that are hungry,there are a wide selection of restaurants nearby.

My favourites are
the Mei Mei, Berry Street (the best but not cheap Chinese)
Zorbas 30 yards from the Dispensary (good average price Greek)
Tokyou noodle bar,Berry Street (great cheap,noodle bar + Chinese)
Italian Fish, Bold Street (good but not cheap fish with an Italian feel)
Italian Kitchen, Bold Street (good Italian style food and coffee, average price)
Masterchef, Renshaw Street (my favourite reasonably priced Indian, bring your own drinks if you want)

Without exaggeration there are probably another 20/30 restaurants takeaways within 15 minutes walk from The Dispensary

I'll make a list of other attractions (bars) later today and if I can't upload a map and directions from The Dispensary to the Arena, some will be available in the pub.
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Havent done a meetup before but would love to join in in Liverpool-- there will be 2 of us.

The Newbys!!

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”