Weybridge meet-up July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
hydriot

Weybridge meet-up July 11

Post by hydriot »

I'm starting a new thread specifically to discuss a meet-up before the concert at Mercedes Benz World on 11 July 2009.

First: are we certain that the concert begins as early as 6pm, as the Ticketmaster site suggests? Or is this just the time the gates open?

If it does start that early, then taking the train to Weybridge rather than driving begins to look attractive to me (particularly if Ticketmaster has seized control of the car-park, as has been suggested -- car park hospitality pack for anyone?) That being the case, I would suggest a meet-up at the pub closest to Weybridge station, preferably one lying in the general direction of MBW. Any suggestions?

Curiousberyl has kindly supplied a map.
Attachments
Brooklands.jpg
Brooklands.jpg (136.59 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
sirp2000

Re: WEYBRIDGE MEET-UP 11 JULY

Post by sirp2000 »

Regarding the starting time, seetickets states this to be 19:30 and ticketmaster 18:00. Can anyone (jarkko?) confirm which is correct?

Phil
Paula

Post by Paula »

TIcketmaster small print

Parking:

There will be onsite parking.

Which seems to suggest you can park there I would be surprised if you couldn't as it sounds like an industrial estate and I cannot imagine how anyone could charge for on-site parking at an industrial estate even the Fagins of Ticketmaster.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
curiousberyl

Post by curiousberyl »

FOXWOOD wrote:

Tony wrote:The local Tesco has a restaurant. Maybe people could meet there - and get points for their loyalty cards.

I am sure the loyalty points could be useful - and I am sure there will be plenty of parking.
Maybe we could get a sample menu from the MB Cafe and one from Tescos and then put it to the vote.
Jarkko may be able to organise a few tables to be reserved at Tescos - so it does have it's advantages.
:D :cry: :roll: :) ;-) :shock: :?

about parking: - MBW ran a concert last year - Elton John - Apparently parking and surrounding traffic problems were a complete nightmare - the roads around the site are always badly congested - very near the M25 - any extra traffic spells disaster

The nearby TESCO is completely massive & has a huge car park, but at 6pm on a Saturday night it will be full.

M&S next door to TESCO has a café which would be much much better than the TESCO one if anyone was seriously considering meeting there- but may also close too early - I will have a look at it with new eyes next time I'm there.

Basically the venue is in the middle of an old airfield which has been partially filled with a Museum, and partially with a retail park - TESCO, M&S, Curry's, ARGOS & Mothercare. Not designed for anything except shopping - Parking there is a real problem on any Saturday morning - if Ticketmaster will be charging for parking, then the TESCO car park will be full of people not wanting to pay

I will be cycling / walking from Weybridge town, and i strongly suggest that people sort out public transport to the venue. There is very little, very expensive parking in Weybridge train station, and the rest of the area around Brooklands is 'residents only' parking, being a commuter belt.

Re meeting up -

There are two pubs right beside Weybridge station. One is definitely a dreadful student dive, the other one may have been refurbished since the last time i was there. Between now & July the 11th i will go and have a look & see what it looks like & let people know. Not sure when it will be as i'm studying at the moment for exams, but I will definitely visit in plenty of time for the concert

Alternatively there are lots of lovely places to meet up in & around Weybridge itself. There are 2 pubs on the River, and lots of pubs, cafés and restaurants in the town, which is about 3 miles from the venue. On a hot summers day (as it will be) the walk would be fun!

Once i have some time I'll go visit a few places & i'll come back with an update

xxx
Barbara

Dublin 1988
London O2 2008 x 2
Weybridge 2009
London Wembley Arena 2012
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Thank you Barbara. But please note that personally I would not want to come to a meet-up that was more than walking distance from one of Weybridge station or MBW, as, from what you say about traffic congestion, the idea of coming by train rather than by car is looking more and more attractive. Also, this is the first time my two (adult) children have expressed a desire to hear Leonard, so a distant meet-up won't be of any interest to them.

If we are right and the concert starts at 6pm, then we should arrange a meet-up at around 4pm ... so the closing-time of M&S shouldn't be an issue.

But before we do anything else, we really must find out for certain what time the concert starts.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

I'll ask my friend about possible meet up locations, as she lives nearby. I went to The Hand and Spear pub by the station on Christmas Eve - it was ok... It has improved over the years. If we are going at 4pm then I think it wouldn't be too busy, depending on the weather of course! :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

This thread was started by me back in April, but has fallen dormant. I suggest we discuss the meet-up here, as there is a useful map at the top of the thread.

The Hand and Spear pub at 4pm seems to me the best suggestion as it is near the station.
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

hydriot wrote:The Hand and Spear pub at 4pm seems to me the best suggestion as it is near the station.
Except that if you are driving, you are not going to go to the station!

I'm meeting with Paula as close to 4 as we can manage (but I am sure we will be there for a while) at the cafe in the main building on-site, which the receptionist assures me (on the phone) will be open from around 4-ish until Suzanne V, or maybe later, who knows.

Paula and I have posted on the more recent short thread Paula started about a Weybridge pre-meet.

Hope to see at least some people in the cafe in Saturday!

Anyone want to go for a drink somewhere in Weybridge when it's over?
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

As my train passed by the site tonight I could see that the stage & seating was actually being set up (just in case anyone needs additional reassurance).

Regards,

Melvyn.
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Melvyn

Thanks for the info, the forecast looks a little better now. Don't you wish just a little you were going!
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

mydoglorca wrote:Don't you wish just a little you were going!
Nope, happy to be going up to L'pool knowing it's going to be dry! But I would like to have seen Suzanne Vega I must admit.

Regards,

Melvyn.
hydriot

Re: Weybridge meet-up July 11

Post by hydriot »

This is the site I am using for the weather: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html .

And this map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 5&t=h&z=15 seems to suggest there is a way in from Brooklands Road.
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

hydriot wrote:And this map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 5&t=h&z=15 seems to suggest there is a way in from Brooklands Road.
The only entrance I know of into MBW is at the roundabout on the left of the map, beside Avro Way; but why not phone MBW & ask?

Melvyn.
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

Melvyn wrote:The only entrance I know of into MBW is at the roundabout on the left of the map, beside Avro Way; but why not phone MBW & ask?
I think I was wrong, there is a way in from Brooklands Road (B374) -

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content ... _here.html

It's along Wellington Way on your Google Map.

Melvyn.
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

Suemerlyn wrote:Hope to see at least some people in the cafe in Saturday!
I will be driving down to the concert and I want to be in time to see Suzanne Vega perform so I will go to the cafe around 4pm and hope to meet other forum members there along with Suemerlyn and Paula.
I will be dressed in wellies, waterproof trousers and coat carrying a large umbrella and wearing swimming googles in case you have problems recognising me.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”