Ticketmaster and IP addresses

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
hydriot

Ticketmaster and IP addresses

Post by hydriot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Does anybody know if Ticketmaster has a policy of blocking IP addresses it decides it doesn't like?

I have had a frustrating/interesting experience with Weybridge tickets via the fan pre-sale. I started hunting at 10am, using two windows simultaneously. As it is an open-air site, I was a bit more fussy than usual (don't mind getting soaked for good seats; do mind getting soaked for a distant view). I rejected about ten offers in each window. Then at 10.37 the entire UK Ticketmaster site appeared to crash. But other forum members were reporting they were still connected and everything for them was fine.

It wasn't my internet connection. Other sites on the web were fine. I deleted my cookies in case that was causing the problem. No change. I shut down and re-booted. No change. I asked my daughter on a different computer and not using Vista (but connecting through the same wireless hub, so same IP address) to try: she couldn't get through to Ticketmaster either.

So, having been kept off the site for more than 30 minutes, I walked up to my local internet cafe ... and got a connection and new ticket offers immediately.

I deduce that something I did irritated Ticketmaster (either too many rejections or using two windows simultaneously) and my IP address at home is being blocked. I wonder for how long? And I wonder for what crime?

Has anybody else had this experience?
Last edited by hydriot on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
osmachar

Re: Ticketmaster and IP addresses

Post by osmachar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 pm

I wouldn't think so. I had trouble to start with as well, but it then worked.

maybe ask a friend to do it for you.

i I can miraculously get better seats then I have now, I will can give you them.
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:53 pm

osmachar wrote:i I can miraculously get better seats then I have now, I will can give you them.
Much appreciated... but I do need three. The best I have been offered are P67-69 in A4, which to me sounds too far to the right. And I have been offered them repeatedly. I haven't seen any in A6 offered at all. What are the numbers of your seats?

Now that the rush has died down, I will try again later today, before the main sale starts.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Seat numbers are 100/101 must be at the side maybe
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:46 am

Be warned - Ticketmaster have started to lock you out for using multiple windows, even for different dates. They did this explicitly for, I think, the Michael Jackson shows, which is why (fortuitously as it happens) I didn't have MJ tickets for July 14 and the same problem as Paula! It seems they are doing the same thing now without giving you a warning message.

They will also lock you out if you repeatedly refresh the screen. I guess the assumption is that you are using some sort of automated system to gain an unfair advantage - or is it simply to reduce the demand on their servers I wonder?

W
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, it all ended happily ... thanks to the difficulty getting tickets at home, I ended up getting better seats at 6pm through my local internet cafe (£1 an hour) when Block A6 suddenly became available. Clearly, Karma is on the side of snake-eyes tossed against a side of seven.
confetti

Post by confetti » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 pm

slightly off topic, but I was on John Fogerty's site today and noticed that the people who are in the first 5 rows must collect their tickets at the gig with id and the credit card they bought the tickets with. This is to ensure fans get the best seats. I thought it was a pretty good idea.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:12 am

Absolutely! I suspect that if Ticketmaster don't do some serious repenting soon, they are destined to burn in Hell for all eternity.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”