Weybridge

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
evie

Re: Weybridge

Post by evie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm

I have to agree with Hydriot, Leonard doesn't need a warm up. Unfortunately I am unable to go to this concert now and have a seat near Hydriot. I will offer my ticket on the ticket swap page even though it pains me to sell.

Evie
I heard of a man who says words so beautifully that if he only speaks their name women give themselves to him.

Manchester 1972; London O2 2008; Bournemouth 2008; Manchester 2008; Dublin 2012; Bournemouth 2013; Brighton 2013
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I have just had an email from Ticketmaster saying Weybridge tickets will not arrive at the buyer's home until the week of the gig.
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Anyone who is driving to Weybridge Ticketmaster is currently selling parking tickets for £6 but by the time they have added the postage and service charge it is £8.50. I have no idea whether you will be able to just park anyway I don't know how big the parking site is so I bought a parking ticket just to be on the safe side.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
LizzieM

Post by LizzieM » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Parking at Mercedes Benz World
On Ticketmaster it says the parking will be on-site but an e-mail enquiry to Mercedes Benz World direct says that it will be a Park & Ride system.

Has anyone been to the venue before or have any clearer information?
Thanks
Lizzie
2008: Bournemouth, RAH. 2009: Minneapolis, Wetbridge, Granada. 2012: Wembley (Hop Farm). 2013: Brighton.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:52 am

Mabeanie1 wrote: But surely there have been other outdoor concerts where there was no opener - Edinburgh? Red Rocks?

I wonder what that does for timing though. As osmacher says, does it mean we will get a shorter set from Leonard? They must have a curfew at MBW because of the area.

Wendy
Columbia, Md. and Red Rocks, both outdoor venues, did not have a supporting act. Hopefully, you will get the full show and then Suzanne Vega would become a bonus, maybe even backing him up a bit for a part of a song. In light of some of the reviews now saying that it's the same show as 'Live in London', this may placate some of these 'critics'. I wish for all attending this show that you get a full set from LC and company.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ScottM

Post by ScottM » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:01 pm

golo99 wrote:Delighted as I am that Vega is playing, I can't help but bristle at more slightly inaccurate hype. Last week AEG claimed that Weybridge was Leonard's only UK show this year (later qualifying that in the small-print as his only OUTDOOR show), now we have Uncut claiming - presumably based on a press release - that "this will be Vega's only UK show this Summer" when she's actually playing Birmingham Town Hall the very next day.

Did I miss the meeting where everyone decided that the word "show" only applies to outdoor concerts from now on? :?

A cynic would suggest that this relentless "only UK show" hype suggests that Weybridge tickets are selling slower than the promoters were hoping for. Perhaps even the great Mr Cohen is affected by the current economic climate :(
I think you are probably spot-on in the point that the tickets for Weybridge have not gone quite as well as other venues, or perhaps even as quickly as any of the 2008 tour at all. So you are probably being realistic, not cynical as to the reasons for Weybridge being hyped the way it is by the promoters.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. As far as I am aware, the Liverpool concert was announced and tickets made available well before the Weybridge concert. My wife and I would probably have opted for the Weybridge venue, if we had known, as we live less than 1 hour drive from it. However we did not risk missing out on what we believed was the only concert in mainland UK. Still, no real regrets as we are really looking forward to the Liverpool gig. Also, last year the first date of the European leg of the Summer tour 2008 was announced for Dublin on Saturday 14th June. We booked tickets and flights only to find out that the extra dates were added on the 13th June and 15th. Damian Rice "supported" Leonard in Dublin but only a 30 minute set starting at 7.30 p.m. I think that, like many support acts, he was only watched by about a quarter of the audience (maybe less) as most were eating, drinking and buying souvenirs. Still, despite it being the second night in Dublin, from the moment Leonard stepped on stage we had a fantastic time and it was one of the best nights of our lives (it was our first Leonard Cohen concert)... so I'm now not sure exactly what point I am making... other than any opportunity to see Leonard should be cherished. I'm sure Susan Vega will be great and she is on record as saying, like Damian Rice, she is also a true Leonard Cohen fan, so she should be respected at least for this alone. I'm also sure that if the weather remains as it has been recently it will be a beautiful night and the out-door venue will also lend something unique to the experience (as it did for us in Dublin). I'm excited for you....wonder if we could stretch to Weybridge too. Have a great time.........
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Anyone thinking of going by train? I see there is a shuttle bus service to the station at start and end of the evening, although the ticket info is not clear at what time this is starting and ending? I would prefer to go by train as I live in Richmond, not that far away from Weybridge, but there seems to be a 90 minute wait for connecting trains, so I may have no choice but to come by car. I do resent swelling TMs coffers still further.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 am

Suzanne Vega was born on July 11, 1959 - so she will perform at Weybridge with (or before) Leonard on her 50th birthday!!!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Hey, Jarkko -
(sorry to be such a nag ...)
I wonder if you could start a new thread, headed "Suzanne Vega is 50/Weybridge note this!" (or something).
It must be hard - if not agonizing - to open for Leonard, knowing that most of the audience want the majority of time in the concert to be focussed on Leonard and the musicians.
Suzanne Vega, of course, is a LC fan.
Wouldn't it be kind/generous to sing "happy birthday" to her on her 50th, to make it memorable for her?
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:37 pm

50 is a big one - I like Suzanne Vega. (tho she is a stripling compared to our lovely Leonard.)

Might even sing happy birthday.

There seem to be two threads for a pre-meet up - Paula's, started two or three weks ago, and one started by Hydriot in April.

I will continue to post on post on Paula's - seeing as I will be meeting up with Paula.
honeyrose wrote:I do resent swelling TMs coffers still further

I TOTALLY agree - I discovered this scam myself, and decided TM can go jump off a cliff for 'advanced cheaper car parking tickets' at only £1.50 less than buying them on the day, instead of the £4 less they are advertised at.

According to the nice people who answer the phone at Mercedes Benz, the venue does not normally charge anything for parking, so that £8.50 (or £10) will go straight into TM's coffers.

I am driving though, as I'd like the option to go into Weybridge and have an after gig drink with anyone who wants to come, without being dependant on last trains.

After a lot of hassle, I have discovered that the venue itself have now taken over selling advance car parking tickets, though it's getting late to have them posted to you now. If you happen to live locally, you can pre-order them at £6 (the price they were advertised at), and collect them from Merc Benz by Friday. If you live too far away and want to try your luck - ring them on 01923-373605 and see if you can persuade them to post them to you tomorrow, Wed. Or whatever... (no postage charge, unlike TM's £1.50)
krysia.k

Post by krysia.k » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 am

Does anyone know whether there will be enough parking for everyone?

Ticketmaster have stopped selling parking tickets now.

I'm wondering whether if I arrive without having pre-booked I might find that there are no parking spaces left!
Leeds Uni 197(2?), Manchester Nov 2008, Weybridge 2009, Liverpool 2009
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:21 am

I got my parking ticket from Ticketmaster and it says it is unreserved general admission parking. It does not give a bay number so I assume the parking area is quite big.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:03 am

I'm so glad the concert took place...as the first Red Rocks was not able to (the band could have been electrocuted!). Looking forward to more reviews! Following all you guys vicariously from America!

All the best,
Diana
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:59 am

I have moved the after-concert comments to the Concert Review thread at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15914
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”