Weybridge

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Midnight Choir

Re: Weybridge

Post by Midnight Choir »

On my first attempt I got row G. I looked a bunch of times after that - the best was L on to R.
2008: O2 London - July 17 | O2 London - November 13 | O2 London - November 14 | RAH London - November 17 | 2009: Antwerp - July 4 | Weybridge - July 11
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Round about 1035 hrs, I got row P in A5 (2 tickets).

.... has anyone worked out travel yet? I understand 20 mins from Waterloo. Is there a bus from the station to the venue?
On screen, it said "1800 hrs". Is this start, or entrance from this time?
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

A.Sukitu wrote:.... has anyone worked out travel yet? I understand 20 mins from Waterloo. Is there a bus from the station to the venue?
On screen, it said "1800 hrs". Is this start, or entrance from this time?
I don't know if this link will work; if it does, MB World is now located on the site at the end of what was a runway (where the VC10 and Vanguard are parked).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 7&t=h&z=15

Byfleet & New Haw is physically the closest station. Although I live in Woking, just about three miles from the venue, I don't know what transport will be available from the stations on the evening; there is a bus service from Woking during the day but I don't think that would be on in the evening. You could contact MB World -

http://www.mercedes-benz.motortrak.com/ ... _about.php

Cheers,

Melvyn.
mapman69

Post by mapman69 »

A.Sukitu wrote: .... has anyone worked out travel yet? ...
This is the Mercedes-Benz World information from Ticketmaster:

Directions:
Show arena: is off the B374, just a few minutes from Junction 10 of the M25 and the A3 London to Portsmouth trunk road. Leave the A3 at the Painshill junction (A245 - signposted Weybridge) and follow the signs.

Parking:
There will be onsite parking.

Public Transportation:
Nearest rail station: Weybridge

Bus routes: The 436 – Mercedes-Benz World shuttle bus from train station.

Box Office Collection Accepted:
Tickets held for collection can be collected from the
on-site box office on the day of the event only.
Please take the credit card used to make the booking and your Ticketmaster reference number with you.

The box office is located at entrance A.

Accessible Seating:
The venue is fully accessible for wheelchair users.
One carer can go in free with each wheelchair user.
Disabled car parking available.

General Rules:
This is an outdoor open air venue and the event will go ahead regardless of the weather conditions.

Miscellaneous:
Bar, snacks and outdoor seating available.

Opened in 1907, the Brooklands motor racing circuit has been at the centre of countless inspirational events over the last century. Brooklands was the world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit hosting many sensational races including the inaugural British Grand Prix in 1926. Mercedes-Benz is intrinsically linked with this historical site and many of the stories that surround it have become legendary. It is now a brand experience centre, called Mercedes-Benz World, where visitors will find simulator rides, interactive challenges, enthralling exhibits and, most excitingly – the opportunity to take any one of the Mercedes-Benz car models around 2.5km of handling circuits.
Last edited by mapman69 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
linmag

Post by linmag »

You can't turn your back on this site for even a couple of days, can you! I just found out about the concert and the presale at the same time, and got seats in block A3 row V, which I suppose is not bad considering. I was late out of the blocks for the presale to Liverpool too, and was offered row Z in the second lot of blocks, which I refused, so I'm really pleased to be seeing Leonard again this summer after all. All we need now is some locals to set up the meet-up :)
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

mapman69 wrote:
Public Transportation:
Nearest rail station: Weybridge

Bus routes: The 436 – Mercedes-Benz World shuttle bus from train station.
The bus stops at about 7pm in the evening -

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content ... e_bus.html

so as I suggested above, best to contact MB & see what might be available when these events are on.

Melvyn.
golo99

Post by golo99 »

I grew up within two miles of Brooklands, and things may have changed since I left (20 years ago!) but this info is hopefully still accurate:

Weybridge station is only about 15 minutes walk for those that don't mind strolling. Byfleet & New Haw is similar (nearer as the crow flies, but I seem to remember it's a longer walk as there's a river in the way). Trains that stop at Byfleet & New Haw are much slower though. Fast trains from Waterloo to Weybridge take about 25 minutes.

There are two museums on the site, and people might consider making an afternoon of it before the concert. The Mercedes-Benz museum is small but free. Brooklands Museum is £9 adults, but has loads of interesting stuff. There's also a Concorde, which costs an extra £2 to look round.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

As for a place to meet, I'd probably suggest The Hand & Spear. This was a grimy pub for underage drinkers when I was growing up (being next door to Brooklands Sixth Form College meant a large 16-18 year old clientele), but looking at their website it seems to have been tarted up into a fancy wine bar now. It's on the other side of the railway tracks from the venue, but only 2 mins from the station, so only a 4 minute detour. A bit off the beaten track, so hopefully shouldn't be too busy - but might be as there's nothing else around this area in terms of pubs/bars.

http://www.handandspear.co.uk/
2008 Dublin June 15th, Manchester June 20th, Vienna Sept 24th, London Nov 17th, Brighton Nov 28th / 2009 Weybridge July 11th / 2010 Malmo Aug 4th, Lille Sept 25th / 2012 Dublin Sept 12th & 14th / 2013 Brighton Aug 28th
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Any good hotels, B&B, guest houses close by?
pablake

Post by pablake »

If you are driving there is a Premier Lodge probably six or seven minutes drive away http://www.premierinn.com/pti/pTiibsRed ... csell=true

Nearest still is the Hilton Cobham but that is a bit more costly http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/C ... m/index.do

Not sure on guest houses...
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

linmag wrote:You can't turn your back on this site for even a couple of days, can you! I just found out about the concert and the presale at the same time, and got seats in block A3 row V, which I suppose is not bad considering. I was late out of the blocks for the presale to Liverpool too, and was offered row Z in the second lot of blocks, which I refused, so I'm really pleased to be seeing Leonard again this summer after all. All we need now is some locals to set up the meet-up :)
No you can't turn your back on the site, I look now and then and then nearly missed this 15 mins from my house! :lol:
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
curiousberyl

Post by curiousberyl »

There are a good few B&B's and there's always The Ship hotel in Weybridge http://www.shiphotel.co.uk/site/ (about 3 miles from the venue)

Much cheaper options would be Byfleet, Walton ( - on - Thames) and Cobham

Weybridge train station is less than a mile walk from the venue

Weybridge Town is a bit further, nearer to 3 miles, but there are plenty of places to meet up there

See you all on the 11th

:D
Barbara

Dublin 1988
London O2 2008 x 2
Weybridge 2009
London Wembley Arena 2012
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Thanks for that Barbara, I tried The Ship yesterday, they are fully booked with a wait list. Got a room at The Bridge Hotel, sorry don't have a link.

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Just for the record...best tickets offered on Ticketmaster, Friday = B4, Row S.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

http://www.seetickets.com is a better option for anyone trying Friday morning.
Tim

Post by Tim »

hurray, just got tickets for this gig, despite having thought that the first O2 gig last year was going to be my last Cohen gig. Seems appropriate though for me to be going to a gig at Brooklands, the number of times I've been there for car events. Hope the weather is good on the day.

Tim

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”