Edinburgh

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
badpixie

Edinburgh

Post by badpixie »

Was fortunate enough to see the band at Edinburgh Castle last summer, they seemed to really enjoy the venue and I bet given the opportunity Leonard and his magnificent troupe will again grace our humble city. The accoustics were not fantastic, but the atmosphere was magnificant. The glasgow concert although technically superior, did not hold a candle to the Edinburgh Castle spectacle.
I wait for news with baited breath.
She's a hundred but she's wearin somthin tight.
tommylen

Re: Edinburgh

Post by tommylen »

I was at that concert pixie and it was a great setting great night.
A bit cramped but a regal setting fit for a king.

I am certain that the experience of that night could be improved upon too by the organisers.

Edinburgh in the summer is teeming with tourists and a Cohen concert would go down well.

Maybe its in the pipeline?Heres hoping.
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Pixie.Did you realise that Edinburgh has a larger population than Manchester?

Did you realise that there are almost 1,000,000 people in the Lothian district?

I believe that Edinburgh airport is now the second busiest one in the U.K?

There are motorway links from Dundee and from Glasgow right into Edinburgh city.

A super place for a night out I believe.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

I hope there will be another date in Scotland!! Glasgow or Edinburgh preferred, as I just cannot afford (time & money wise) to travel half way round the world for a concert (as much as I'd like to). I'm sure others have the same issues.
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

I agree with you Osmachar.
The organisers loaded England the last time.
Good for the people down south but if you live north of Dundee then it is asking a lot to travel
to say Manchester or to Birmingham for a concert.

It is understandable that Britain is equated with England but
Scotland is a different country and it has two of the biggest cities in the U.K.

This is the year of the Homecoming .What a coup it would be for AEG if they
could fix up Leonard Cohen to top the bill at the Edinburgh festival.

What a night that would be. I believe that tickets would be like hens teeth.
ForeverYoung

Post by ForeverYoung »

I travelled down to see Leonard in Glasgow last November, and I'm still in awe.

I'm only just 21, but I love Leonard and his work. I think it would be incredible if he came back to Scotland this year, I'm sure every Scottish fan who saw him last year would agree. Edinburgh or Glasgow would be great, but Aberdeen would be even better. It would be a dream come true for Leonard Cohen to come to my home city. Plus, it's somewhere he never visited on any of the last 2 tours! :)
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

tommylen wrote:Did you realise that Edinburgh has a larger population than Manchester?

Did you realise that there are almost 1,000,000 people in the Lothian district?
I live in Durness, NW Scotland, there are some 60 million people within about 800 miles of here, I can't believe that Leonard can't see the advantages of performing here.

Hopefully (but not very truthfully),

Melvyn.
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Personally Scotland would be great, it would save a great deal of travelling BUT if there is to be a repeat at Edinburgh Castle will someone please inform the organisers that seats are at least meant to be a little bit comfortable. Last year they were a complete disgrace! Not only were they uncomfortable they were tied so tightly together there wasn't space to breathe out. I don't know if the tiered sections were the same but if so why, when they are used so regularly throughout the year hasn't someone sorted it out.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

davidrichards wrote:I don't know if the tiered sections were the same but if so why, when they are used so regularly throughout the year hasn't someone sorted it out.
Trust me, the tiered sections are 10 times worse. I wasn't at Leonard's show but I did go to one of the shows later in the series last year. It was a standing show so we decided to take reserved seats on the side. I have never been so uncomfortable in my life. But they've used those seats for the tattoo since I don't know when and I don't suppose they're going to change them now.

Wendy
badpixie

Post by badpixie »

Waiting at the foot of the esplanade for the gates to open and hearing the sound check set the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. By the time that I was seated you could feel the electricity in the air, I have never been to an open air concert that was so quite before the start, just a low murmur of anticipation. This concert truly was one of the highlights of my life. I floated on air for most of the concert, awe struck by the beauty of the music, so the seating wasn't really a conscious concern.

Enough of the nostalgic reverie, the seating was supposed to have been improved at this venue over the winter, so fingers crossed, both for the presence of Mr Cohen and the comfort of his guests.
She's a hundred but she's wearin somthin tight.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”