Monaco now confirmed and on sale

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Monaco now confirmed and on sale

Post by jarkko » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:13 pm

MONTE CARLO SPORTING SUMMER FESTIVAL
LEONARD COHEN
AUGUST 22 & 23

Two concerts in Monaco have now been confirmed. Tickets available at
http://www.fnacspectacles.com/place-spe ... -MCS22.htm

SPORTING MONTE-CARLO S. DES ETOILES
AVENUE PRINCESSE GRACE
BP 139
98000 MONACO
Price : 353 euros (dinner included)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: Monaco

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:25 pm

I was tempted by this (after all, who could resist a couple of shows over a weekend in August ...) but €350 Euros per person for dinner and a Leonard Cohen show at 10.30 pm? Definitely not for me this time round, even if it's confirmed.

W
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Monaco now confirmed and on sale

Post by jarkko » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:30 pm

AEG confirmed the Monaco concerts today. I have edeited the info in the first message of this thread. The tickets are available at FNAC (official seller).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Rodin

€350 a ticket

Post by Rodin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:38 pm

This is an obscene amount of money.
No wonder he's not playing countries like Bulgaria where this is two months salary for a teacher or midwife.
Nice one Len, you play your tunes to fatcats troughing away to the background music.
Misunderstood
Melvyn

Re: €350 a ticket

Post by Melvyn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Rodin wrote:This is an obscene amount of money.
No wonder he's not playing countries like Bulgaria where this is two months salary for a teacher or midwife.
Nice one Len, you play your tunes to fatcats troughing away to the background music.
That's silly. This is a very special venue, in Monte Carlo, and includes dinner -

http://en.sportingmontecarlo.com/Salle- ... s,850.html

Will he personally get more money than playing Liverpool? I would doubt it when you take account of the relative numbers.

Cheers,

Melvyn.
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks for the link Melvyn, do you know how many people the venue can hold?
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Rodin

Post by Rodin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 pm

FFS a special venue ? For who ? Rich gets with no class, the place looks cheap and nasty.
Gentlemen 'have to wear a jacket' ?
WTF happened to rock/pop/folk music ? It's now been turned into an expense account extravagance for people with more money than sense.
'Includes dinner', Oh dear. That's OK then.
Misunderstood
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 pm

Coincidentally, I saw a documentary about Monaco on TV last night (with Piers Morgan). The basic theme went that Monte Carlo was the most expensive place in the world, for a couple of million Euros you are able to buy yourself a studio apartment, or something like that, so I guess €350 is about the going rate there.

Personally, it wasn't the cost per se which put me of but the combination of meal + show (ie people likely to be more interested in the social occasion than listening to Leonard) and the 10.30 pm start (little chance of a full 3 hour show).

Perhaps the shows are at the personal request of Prince Albert?

Wendy
Rodin

Post by Rodin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 am

Piers Morgan is one of the biggest mooks on the planet.

Anyway, what next for Len, Las Vegas?
:D
Misunderstood
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Everybody knows that in Monaco the tour will be raking in the cash, but let's be honest - that's what the tour is meant to do!

I am glad Lenny got ripped off by his ex-manager so that i got the chance to see him play a gig in my lifetime! I don't mind him playing to the elite in Monaco if they have offered enough. Why would that bother me?

Fact is that last summer they played enormodomes, the cash from which also enabled them to play intimate gigs such as Manchester and paris. it was a balance.

this time around they're scooping up the cream that has risen to the surface following the wonderful reviews they deservedly reaped last time around. Fair play to them

does anyone here really resent Lenny cashing in while he has the chance? i don't.

and, before i get the brickbats, i am a left wing fan of Lenny but am peppering my political leanings with reality, as I think Lenny and this great band deserve all the rewards they get.
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm not sure about this one. Besides the expense of the night, the late start is off putting. The seating arrangements would seem to me that some could be seated with backs to the stage.
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:49 pm

IrishMar wrote:I'm not sure about this one. Besides the expense of the night, the late start is off putting. The seating arrangements would seem to me that some could be seated with backs to the stage.
am sure there'll be better gigs announced, closer to home, don't you think?
look at the gaps betwene dates announced so far, expecially in the first 3 weeks of august!

also, in Monaco the room will be full of toffs squawking loudly over the music. not my scene.
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Oh for sure, it just caught my eye as my birthday is the 22nd. I will always be extremely grateful to you cpl593h for your post alerting me to the
late sale of seats at Olympia Paris.
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:10 pm

IrishMar wrote:Oh for sure, it just caught my eye as my birthday is the 22nd. I will always be extremely grateful to you cpl593h for your post alerting me to the
late sale of seats at Olympia Paris.
1. maybe you should go if it is your birthday?!! then again, i think it's a gig for true Cohen fans to miss, to be honest. not that rich people don't have taste or appreciate good music, as such ...

2. had forgotten about the late paris tickets. glad you went. wasn't it wonderful? seemed so aproriate to see him in that little theatre that was linked so closely with Edith Piaf's life story. i had been before, many years ago, to see Peter Gabriel supported by Simple Minds! and it's where The Beatles played when they went to Paris, etc etc. a great little place. perfect for Lenny's adoring French fans, and us !
Rodin

Post by Rodin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Fact is that last summer they played enormodomes, the cash from which also enabled them to play intimate gigs such as Manchester and paris. it was a balance.
That wasn't the reason they played Manchester.
Manchester was the 'Canada' of the tour, the warm up, glorious as it was.

Hopefully, the motivation behind the tour is not just money.

Anyway, eat the rich
Misunderstood

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”