Ticketmaster & Leonard Cohen tickets

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mabeanie1

Ticketmaster & Leonard Cohen tickets

Post by Mabeanie1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:54 pm

In a thread in the North American Tour section of the forum, Jarkko reported on discussions which he and Marie had had with Leonard's management regarding some of the "sharp" ticketing practices which have been reported in the US, Canadian and UK press in connection with various artists. Jarkko explained how Leonard and his management had expressly declined to take part in these practices. Jarkko then went on to say:

"Mr. Lefko [AEG/ Golden Voice] explained that Mr. Kory has gone so far as to require that no peer to peer secondary ticketing of Cohen tickets be allowed on TicketExchange to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. As a result, no one, neither fans nor ticket brokers, can resell Leonard Cohen tickets through Ticket Exchange. We have checked ourselves on TicketExchange, and we found no Cohen tickets available through the Platinum Ticket program."

Imagine my surprise then when I had a quick look at Ticketmaster UK this evening and noticed that the so-called MarketPlace is alive and well will lots of Liverpool tickets in the first few rows available for 2 or 3 times their face value. Whilst I am very grateful to AEG for allowing us such a generous pre-sale, I am SO disappointed that, once again, we appear not to have had a fair crack at the best seats.

Jarkko - do you know why Leonard's management were less concerned about the appearance of impropriety so far as the UK fans are concerned?

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Ticketmaster & Leonard Cohen

Post by jarkko » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:24 pm

AEG Live in London has made all the ticket allocations with Ticketmaster - you should ask them! As far as I know, we had a limited number of tickets in all sectors of the hall, in all price categories, including the first rows. In UK Ticketmaster uses the maximum of 6 tickets per order (in US it was just 2!), and many probably bought all six, if Ticketmaster's system happened to show them the best seats. The general sale also began this morning, and the army of scalpers has been ready to get as many tickets as possible. Now those tickets are coming to the secondary market. - Someone was also selling our password at eBay, and I have been reported that the password was also posted on a protected info site used by the UK scalper community pretty soon after we had uploaded it.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Disgusting.

Likewise, very grateful for some decent seats via the AEG presale, but very angry that because of Ticketmaster's policies the best seats have been skimmed off so they can make even more money.

Is there anything we can do about this?

Jarkko - I'm 100% sure that none of the first few rows in the middle block were made available through the presale based on what tickets everyone on here was able to get when they logged on at 3pm Monday to get tickets. Seats were available a bit further forward in the side floor blocks but again, none of the top seats were allocated. I refreshed the page about 40 times myself.

Can everyone post what seats they got so we can see the very best seats that were offered to members of the forum via the presale? This will give a good idea of what was offered.

Block B Row K for me

PS - Looks like they even have an official name for it now. On bit with tabs for prices, onsale date & times etc there is a tab called "Please note" which says:

Get access to some of the best tickets in the house! Official Platinum Seats™ are available exclusively with TicketExchange.

This then links to the ticket exchange page with the vastly overpriced tickets.
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:35 pm

danslenoir wrote:Can everyone post what seats they got so we can see the very best seats that were offered to members of the forum via the presale? This will give a good idea of what was offered.
I got "section BL B, row K, seats 22-23", email timed at 15:03.

Cheers,

Melvyn.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:56 pm

I got straight through when the pre-sale opened and - like others - was allocated seats in block B row K, which I declined. My husband (on a PC in a different location) was a bit slower but managed to get me a seat in row D of block A which I took. When I tried again, I was allocated a seat in row F of block A. I also tried the venue's own pre-sale and the public sales at both Ticketmaster & the venue, which opened at 08.58 and 9.00 am this morning respectively. I would have purchased another ticket without hesitation if the something better than the one I have in block A row D had come up but as far as I can see we had the best shot at the publicly available tickets (for which I am very grateful). However, I cannot see any evidence that seats in the first three rows were made available to us.

I think it may be telling that the best tickets that have appeared on eBay are in line with the tickets purchased by our members. There have been several offerings in block A row D and block 15, row A. By contrast, there are seats in the first three rows available in the Ticketmaster controlled market places - the so-called Marketplace and Getmein, which is a Ticketmaster owned company c.f. Ticketsnow in the US.

I am not for one minute suggesting that either Leonard or his management have acted dishonourably in any way. However, it does appear to me that someone has been siphoning the best tickets straight in to the aftermarket. As per Jarkko's posting quoted above, Leonard's management stopped this happening in the US and Canada. My question above was simple: why was this practice stopped in the US but not in the UK?

Wendy
margaret

Post by margaret » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:13 am

I was ready just before 3.00pm and the nearest I was offered on the floor was row H, K, or J. I rejected these and then searched for lower tier instead so my view wasn't blocked by bigger people in front of me. I was happy to accept Row A in Block 15. on the side.
daviewlz

Post by daviewlz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:27 am

I too have looked on the Marketplace, just out of interest.
I was lucky enough to get BL A Row D 14 & 15 but was shocked to see the seat next to us and more just a couple along on are on sale in the Marketplace at £230 each. My confirmation was timed at 1511. Originally I signed in to Ticketmaster immediately I got the password, seconds after 1500. I was offered BL A Row H but got a message saying there had been an error processing my request resulting in me being sent back to the booking page. This worked in my favour as I ended up with the better seats.
So as you can see there were good seats available at the pre-sale. Of course I have no way of knowing if those offered for sale at an obscene price just next to me were bought at the pre-sale or not.
1976 - Portsmouth; 2008 - Edinburgh, Glasgow; 2009 - Liverpool; 2010 - Helsinki
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:34 am

daviewlz wrote:I too have looked on the Marketplace, just out of interest.
I was lucky enough to get BL A Row D 14 & 15 but was shocked to see the seat next to us and more just a couple along on are on sale in the Marketplace at £230 each.
?? There are no Bl A row D seats on the Marketplace now and I saw none when I looked earlier either. All bar one of the 9 offerings are for rows A-C which is my point really.

W
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 am

I agree that it is impossible to determine whether the seats offered on Ticket Exchange were bought via the presale, but it does seem unlikely that if seats 'better' that Row D in Blocks A and C, and the first 5-10 rows on Block B were offered at the presale, that none of the fans who logged on at 3pm were offered them. Like a previous poster stated, the best seats offered seem to be concentrated in Row K of Block B and Row D in Blocks A and C suggesting these were the best seats offered by the presale full stop. Indeed, if better seats were offered, I also find in strange that none of these front row seats have appeared on independent ticket scalping sites like Ebay or Seatwave.com up until now.

Although that said, I do see that there are tickets for Block A in the 2nd row available on Ebay now.
daviewlz

Post by daviewlz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 am

Sorry my mistake. I see now that those in the Marketplace are in fact rows A-C. Don't know where I got the D from.
I'm still over the moon with the ones I've got though.
1976 - Portsmouth; 2008 - Edinburgh, Glasgow; 2009 - Liverpool; 2010 - Helsinki
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:07 am

Perhaps, as another forum member mentioned in another thread, this has something to do with it:

"The Liverpool Pops events usually sell the first few rows as part of an overpriced VIP package, whereby you get the 'privilege' of having a pre-concert drink with a gang of Scouse 'celebrities' and Brookside rejects..."

Perhaps it is the organiser of the Liverpool Pops concerts that is doing the reselling, and not Ticketmaster after all.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:22 am

Let's face it - if Ticketmaster are involved, it's a miracle that anyone was able to get tickets in the first twelve rows! (though we may of course find that front seats mysteriously re-appear at the last minute). Row K's probably an excellent place to be in a stadium.I was certainly happy with Row L at Brighton last year, even though I've normally been in the front few rows for Leonard.

All good things, John E
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:34 am

This is an important issue and it shows the forum at its best. I got Block B row K for Liverpool ... it does not seem like anyone got better than row g in block B or row D in black A. For me, I would just like to see more transparency when you buy tickets through Ticketmaster in the UK. In Berlin and many other European venues, when you get online, you can actually search a plan of the seating, see very clearly which seats have been sold, and choose your own seats. It was this system that allowed me to get second row seats for the October 2008 concert and many on this forum (without a pre-sale remember) - to get really good seats this time around. If we could have seen such a plan in Liverpool, we would at least know what was happening but perhaps this is not in ticketmasters interest. For sure, if the first 8 rows of the centre block are reserved for VIP packages then so be it ... but it would be good to know this. Jarkko does a great job and I am delighted with the Liverpool seats. Don't forget last March, many of us struggled to get any seats at all! But practice in Europe seems much better than in the UK where you are simply offered tickets and have no idea what others might be available.
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
honeyrose

Re: Ticketmaster & Leonard Cohen tickets

Post by honeyrose » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Ticket scalping and the secondary ticket market are not illegal in the UK and the government has said it has no plans to make it so. It is fairly clear to everyone who has an account with Ticketmaster that some fairly blatant manipulation of the sale of tickets goes on, particularly where they have a monopoly over selling seats at a venue. (Although interestingly I have a TM account, and purchased my tix for Leonard's Manchester concert last year via TM, I never got a notification from them of the concert in Liverpool this summer).

In North America TM is under pressure to show some response to the public outrage in the USA following the public row with Bruce Springsteen over them moving tickets direct to the secondary market (and there was a similar row over the Miley Cyrus tour last year) and because of its proposed forthoming merger with LiveNation. While in Canada where scalping is illegal in several provinces, it has class actions looming over Leonard's tour.

There is no legal pressure on TM in the UK to behave in a responsible manner and I assume they are carrying on, business as normal, here.
danslenoir

Re: Ticketmaster & Leonard Cohen tickets

Post by danslenoir » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:46 pm

For anyone with a spare £825 for a pair of front row tickets in Block B see http://ticketsfor.com/ResultsTicket.asp ... nard+Cohen

Tickets: 2 x $481.00
Service Fee: 2 x $96.20
Shipping: $25.00
Total: $1179.40

That these tickets are on an independent ticket reselling site, and not Ticketmaster, makes me wonder if we were a bit too hasty to blame TM in this instance. Would be interesting to know where these tickets came from, though.

Ticket reselling should really be made illegal full stop. Why does the government allow such blatant profiteering and dishonest practice?

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”